wireless pet fences

srt20

Anyone have them for their pets? Pros? Cons? TIA.

Works good.

If you have a bullheaded dog, it can and will run through it. If you have a meek and timid dog, it might not go outside with the collar on.

I have it, and have my lab trained pretty well. I haven't used the collar in a few years. He knows his boundaries.

Btw I have the underground version. And that's what I was talking about here. If you are looking at the true wireless radius ones, idk. Never used them.

greggk

We have it and it works well. Very important to work with your dog as part of a training program. Don't use it as a baby sitter in lieu of long walks and time outside with you. Also make sure underground wire does not come into contact with your cable or electric wires that might be underground. Landscapers can also cut the wire accidentally so pay attention to your maintenance.

jeepbob47

Hi, I had the brand Pet Stop installed because my neighbors had it and the collar works in each others yard . So you can bring your dog to a different yard and the signal is picked up. But, after 3 years of the electric fence my Brittany named Chase decided he would run thru it thusly we were chasing Chase. So this past summer I had black ornamental aluminum fence installed. So far so good. If you want to see pictures of the fence let me know at rrccmarshall@sbcglobal.net P.S. either way ask for a cash price !

G

G

We got one for our Akita. We live by a highway and don't want him out on the road. We don't have the underground fence - just the collar with the sending box. He can go 100 feet away from the box in any direction. Then it will start to make a noise. If he tries to go out any farther it will zap him. He learned the boundaries very quickly. He does not go outside the boundary. It works. You have to remember to take the collar off when you take him for walks. We have had it for 3 years now and the only expense is batteries for the collar. It works for us.

sjb

I have installed wired underground fence with great success. I tried the wireless and the location of the field was often changing and I returned it.

GTL

As they Title reads ----------WIRELESS -------- We have one and it works great. the nice thing is we can take it with to the cabin too. There are "things" that are worth the shock to go after, but they would do that wireless or not!! That is the only drawback of the wireless system is that there is no "safe" area to get back in the yard, you have to remove the collar and walk them back into their confined area.

buddah2

....... He learned the boundaries very quickly. He does not go outside the boundary. ....

The operative assumption with either type is that the dog(s) are actually able to be trained.....we had one for our beagle and it worked very well......right up until he got on a scent and then bye-bye beagle.......we always managed to get him back, but a determined dog will bust right through the invisible barrier......the story about my wife carrying the collar back through the perimeter is a whole nuther issue entirely........... ;)

Bradzoo

We have the Pet Safe wireless we like it a lot, we used to unplug and take to the cabin with us, but finally just broke down and bought one for there also. My pups actually go to where there collars hang when they want to go out.

Bradzoo

G

G

Mine is a Pet Safe also. Our Akita is about 110 lbs and there is no doubt in my mind he could run through it if he wanted to. He has had the collar since he was a pup so he basically has never known anything different. That probably has something to do with the success we have had with it. The Pet Safe collar has a setting on it that increases or decreases the shock according to the weight of the creature you put it on. So it works on all dogs. It also has a light that flashes when the battery gets low. Akitas are strong willed dogs and supposed to be smart and it has worked just fine. Although I am sure all dog owners think their own dogs are smart. Unless you have an Irish Setter. Been there done that. Dumbest dog ever. Would chase birds with its head pointed towards the sky until it was hopelessly lost.

Last edited by a moderator: