Wisconsin...Are You Proud of This

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, those numbers are nothing to be proud of but it happens. We lost a niece some years ago and the other driver tested positive for THC in his system, so there's that also. Plenty of blame to go around; culture, access, ignorance, just to name a few. Some of us learn a lesson early in life and others never do.

Despite the dubious label of this report, I still think Wisconsin is a great place to live. I choose to focus on the positives and acknowledge the negatives. On Wisconsin!

united

Well let's start at the very beginning I guess.
According to the article - Wisconsin is the drunkest state in America, according to research conducted by 24/7 WallSt, utilizing data from Country Health Rankings.

Can anyone direct me to the Country Health Rankings. Although it is referenced throughout the internet on many links regarding these findings I cannot seem to locate it. Typo? Poor reporting? Both?

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is a typo, it should read "County" Health Rankings. You can Google it from the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute. They're based in Madison and apparently Wisconsin is not only the drunkest state, we lack equity, good jobs for the homeless, and healthcare for the disadvantaged.

Guess we should've seen that coming.....

It is a typo, it should read "County" Health Rankings. You can Google it from the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute. They're based in Madison and apparently Wisconsin is not only the drunkest state, we lack equity, good jobs for the homeless, and healthcare for the disadvantaged.

From Madison? Yep

SHOOT2KILL

Yep. Collect some data, form a hypothesis, uncover a problem, apply for funding . . . Rinse and repeat.
Lift up the carpet...Sweep the problem under it...Drop the carpet back down...Move along people, nothing to see here...lol

bayfly

Lift up the carpet...Sweep the problem under it...Drop the carpet back down...Move along people, nothing to see here...lol
Did you happen to read in their report that the error margin for the Alcohol Impaired Driving Death statistic was 35 - 36%? So the gap between the Wisconsin state data and the national average is well within the margin of error cited in the report. I’m not saying Wisconsin residents don’t abuse alcohol, but the headline quoted is based on highly questionable data. Makes me wonder why, and following the money is typically a good place to start.

SHOOT2KILL

Did you happen to read in their report that the error margin for the Alcohol Impaired Driving Death statistic was 35 - 36%? So the gap between the Wisconsin state data and the national average is well within the margin of error cited in the report. I’m not saying Wisconsin residents don’t abuse alcohol, but the headline quoted is based on highly questionable data. Makes me wonder why, and following the money is typically a good place to start.
It doesn't take a Phi-Beta-Kappa to realize theres a problem in Wisconsin...But residents can spin it anyway they want to fit their narrative...FREE ENTERTAINMENT for clowns like me...Carry On...

united

Can you post a link to that report? Thanks.

ICT Sledder

As a life-long outsider who recently moved quite a ways up nort' in MN, alcohol culture in the upper midwest (MN, WI, and MI) is fairly shocking, and I don't say that as some teetotaler or the second coming of Carrie Nation. I think going out to breakfast and seeing half the tables with hard liquor drinks on them will always be the most WTF moment, at least for me. That and packed bars every other mile out in the middle of nowhere.

But yeah, again as an outsider who's traveled up here for many years, it's pretty clear the drinky-drink is another step or two worse in WI than the other states in the immediate area.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a brother who insists that snowmobilers are the heavy drinkers when he sees a dozen machines parked at the local watering hole. I counter with boaters are the bigger consumers. I do both, sledding and boating, so I think I've got some history on this one. He and I have had this discussion a number of times. From my experience if there's a dozen sleds in front of a bar, let's say some are there just to take a break, others there to warm up, and still others are there for the food. And yes, there's likely to be some booze flowing but not as much as some would think. Now, take a summer day on the lakes and rivers and you will see some serious drinking morning, noon, and night. Maybe it's the environment, it's summer, you're on vacation, pretty girls all around, "Let's have a Beer"!
Personally, and this is just me, I don't embibe till the end of the day. Our sleds are going way too fast with too many hazards like deer, trees, and guys on the wrong side. As for boating, have you ever tried docking and loading a boat when you're pie eyed? It usually doesn't end well though it's great entertainment for the bystanders.

They've been saying for years, Don't Drink and Drive and people still do and people still die from it and that's a shame... we can do better!

whitedust

Our 5 all stop sleddin at any given bar for lunch no alcohol all Diet Coke or Pepsi. This group never had a history of bozzin it up we are in it for the enjoyment of the ride. I know some do drink and ride but not us and lunch stops are so busy waitstaff doesn’t have time to serve a lot of drinks. I think most are there to eat and take a break.