Would you open up a snowmobile dealer?

What manufacture sled would you buy if you were buying new?

• Arctic Cat

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Polaris

Votes: 45 38.5%
  • Ski-Doo

Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Yamaha

Votes: 21 17.9%

• Total voters

j1cousin

Just curious to know if you would buy a snowmobile business given that the way winters seem to be very inconsistent anymore. Let's not get into specifics like location so on and so forth, this is just a general question. Also what kind of sled would you buy if you were to be buying a new sled?

scott_l

If I win the lottery sure I would think about opening up a small dealership, that way I would/could be around the sport I love. Write off all the tools, trailers, trucks and have different demo sleds to ride (sounds good at least). For me it would have to be a CAT dealership.

Are there many places that just sell snowmobiles and have to survive on a short winter? Most places I see also sell ATVs UTVs, PWC's, Boats, motorcyles and other poweer equipment. No way could a place make it on snowmobiles alone.

6mile

The simple answer to your question would be **** No!

The more complex answer would be if you are trying to start a new dealership and do not have a minimum of 500K in liquid cash, plus the financial backing to finance your franchise fees and facilities requirements that the Manufacture will require, the answer will be made for you by the manufacture.

On the other hand if you happen to find an established dealership that is motivated to sell or is on the verge of closing you may have a few options that could help grandfather you in.

ifishiam

I fully agree with others...a powersports dealership...yes, but for just snowmobiles, you would not survive. You must have a product range to keep you going year round

Modman440

I would do it because you would have,to have,other things like boats and so on so I would in a heartbeat and arctic cat all the way

j1cousin

Okay your right not just snowmobiles, but ATV's as well would be apart of it and possibly some line of tractors, cub cadet, or john deere.... But I guess the main source of income would be the snowmobile sales is what I am referring to, but ATV's and riding tractors as summer revenue... Do you think these 2 sports are very much alive and thriving still or do you think people have tightened their belts and this sort of stuff is phazing out. In the line of work your pretty dependent on the weather... But like some of you said, your passionate about this sport, as am I and I don't think I would allow myself to fail, but the weather on the other hand plays a major role in this business.... So would you take that chance is my question.....

whitedust

Are there many places that just sell snowmobiles and have to survive on a short winter? Most places I see also sell ATVs UTVs, PWC's, Boats, motorcyles and other poweer equipment. No way could a place make it on snowmobiles alone.

Eagle River Mike is correct + no one can do anything about the weather snomos alone would fail + need at least 2 brands as well & going to take big bucks for a huge floor plan or OEM would not want YOU. Not an easy biz & passion not enough to hack it....need to know how to sell & have excellent back room. Also don't want to buy a new sled now perfectly happy with Apex XTX. Can't vote no fit... bottom line answer is "Yes & No" Yes would manage such a place for right owner .....own No freaking way. LOL:D

skidont

I would do it but the $500,000 in personal worth and sleds forced on a dealer by factories makes it hard to do . I am a Doo guy but we could really use a cat dealer along 35 from twin ****ies to duluth

buddah2

.... But I guess the main source of income would be the snowmobile sales is what I am referring to,

Never happen in this day and age......the snowmobiles would have to be ancillary income to your main profit center whether that be bikes, ATV's or whatever.........

I'd rather be out riding.:cool:

Yes, every manager/owner of a sled dealership that I've ever talked to work at least 6 days a week and have absolutely no time to ride. Even the sales guys are the same. So if you were doing it because you love the sport and love to ride, I would say NO because you'll probably get less seat time than you do now! But if you don't care about seat time and just want to spend a bunch of time being around people who love it than it could be fun.

Jonger1150

Just curious to know if you would buy a snowmobile business given that the way winters seem to be very inconsistent anymore. Let's not get into specifics like location so on and so forth, this is just a general question. Also what kind of sled would you buy if you were to be buying a new sled?

I wouldn't go jumping to the conclusion that winter's having bad months/seasons are anything new. Check out 1951 to 1968 for example.

btw: John's update tomorrow should be encouraging, I'll let him give the details why.

Click this to see the year by year at Houghton.... The station changed around 1999, but it's still a ball-park idea of the year to year situation.

Johndee.jpg

fireworks

Do not turn your passion into a full time job. However, there maybe circumstances or advantageous reasons for you to consider ownership. Way more detail needs to be addressed before anyone can give input.

pinestump

Not today as big rich corporate America is pushing the little guy/mom and pops out of business....
Down state Mi. they have the Fox group that is owned by a very powerful company that is trying to dominate the market...Just my 2

I worked at a small shop part time 7 years it was a pinch every penny work a ton of hours. If you love boating and hate the cold open a snowmobile shop because you will have no time to ride.
Take into account the internet and the guy working out of his garage selling parts on eBay with no overhead or a small store front so they can be set up through the distributers that costs next to nothing to man or operate and taxes minimal.
I have a couple friends who work at a shop still as a mechanics and they don’t make enough and are very talented and if they went and worked maintenance some place could easily make 50% more with benefits using the talents they have
NOT A CHANCE retail sucks