Would you open up a snowmobile dealer?

What manufacture sled would you buy if you were buying new?

• Arctic Cat

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Polaris

Votes: 45 38.5%
  • Ski-Doo

Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Yamaha

Votes: 21 17.9%

• Total voters
G

G

Had two friends go broke with sled shops. One Poo and one AC. Very tough biz. Also saw University Motors in Fargo go crazy building two killer dealerships - one in Fargo and one in Fergus Falls. I don't think the one in Fergus even opened up once it was built. They sold motorcycles and boats and sleds and all kinds of seasonal stuff. They got eaten up. So, no I would not ever consider opening up a snowmobile dealership. Ever.

bearrassler

I would not do it. I was a Polaris dealer from 1989 to 2001 and it is not an easy business. My dad was also in the snowmobile biz from 1966 to 1976 as a manufacturer. In the 90's the market was strong, the weather cooperated most years, parts and accessory sales were very good, and it was still tough to make any money. The factories tried to control you, there was a dealer every 25 miles, and the Polaris employees all sold their sleds in our market area in February. I did try to take one day off each week in season to ride, but worked almost every weekend. I knew many people and families that lost almost everything they had in the snowmobile business. I have a basement full of awards from Polaris but you can't eat any of them. I am sure things are a little different now but I would only want it as a small part of a very diversified business.

crispyknite

Wow I guess its where you live. I was at a dealer the other day in Twin City Mn. dealer said Ski Doo sales 10 to 1 to Polaris and AC. They sell all brands but yamaha

Last edited:

polarisrider1

Wow I guess its where you live. I was at a dealer the other day in Twin City Mn. dealer said Ski Doo sales 10 to 1 to Polaris and AC.

I bet it was a doo dealer who said that.

- - - Updated - - -

Not today as big rich corporate America is pushing the little guy/mom and pops out of business....
Down state Mi. they have the Fox group that is owned by a very powerful company that is trying to dominate the market...Just my 2

The Fox group is the DeVos family... Billionaires.

rocky367

Not a new snowmobile dealership, or a dealership at all but I'd like to start a salvage yard for sleds and other powersports equipment. I know that there are a few around but none really located in my area. And since atv's are popular around here I think that folks would like to save a bit if they have issues while out riding locally and get parts.

chad66

Find a way to make a living doing something you love...it'd be fun they said! I say if you do that, you'll learn to hate your old hobby ;-P

I still enjoy my job...most days...some days....well yea. In all honesty, it's not easy but the first 10.5 years sure did fly by.

Chad@M&M

1sob

Snowmobile Dealership

It is very easy to become a millionaire owning a snowmobile dealership. You must start with two million.

chop

Stay out of retail if you want to have a life outside of work. You work when everyone else is off of work. If you want to have a business based on snowmobiling and still be able to enjoy riding your best bet would be marketing a related product. Come up with the next great idea in riding gear or aftermarket sled parts.

I got into my tool & die career because of my interest in hot rodding and custom motorcycles. I knew being a mechanic or car salesman would make me hate cars with a passion so I found a trade that kept me near my hobby without forcing me to do it for a living. The funny thing is when I started my own machine shop I thought that I would design my own custom parts to
market. But in the end I just make parts for alot of the local shops in my area and let them have the headache of dealing with the customers.

Leaning toward a yamacat, just not sure which color.