YamaCat Darting

Posting for my buddy. He just bought a LTX SE(137").It has fox floats up front. The sled is darting pretty bad everything on the sled is stock, no studs. He is thinking he needs more carbide? Before he changes them out and makes the steering heavier, I was thinking maybe the air shocks up front should have less air in them, maybe they are too stiff? I have zero experience with fox floats or this chassis and ski, any help would be great. I would hate to see him add carbide and not like the heavier steering that will come with it, or over-steer due to no studs. thx

thebreeze

What are the fronts set at? I would try 60-70 lbs. Could also just be a Sh***t job of ski alignment at the dealership....

slowsi00

that sled has the tuner skis right?

if they do... you cant go to heavy on the front. throw the weight up front. the tuner skis are so awesome they even work on a apex... 6" carbide on the outsides, and a wear bar or 4" on the inside. I ran 90lbs on the front when i had the fox floats on my apex. carved great.

Ski alignment is huge.

blu2u2

I have the exact same sled. I would highly recommend either Slim Jim or Duece carbides. That and having the Floats at less (50-60 psi) will make a huge difference. Be sure to set the air pressure on the Floats with no weight on the skis. I run the Stud Boy Duece and have had no issues!
Also the stock ski are not the Yamaha Tuner, they are AC skis.

whitedust

Who runs stock OEM carbides on anything new?? OEM just there to get your started me not 1 mile & switch out to Bergstrom or dually of choice.

polarisrider1

Darting is dangerous! Not going to buy one of those!! (See how stupid remarks like this can blow the whole image of a good product) Carry on. Morning rants are like morning Wood. p.s. I like the red/blk. one with the longer track.

dwayneg

Always minimum 1/4 toe out , no more than 1/2 inch. Even 'zero' toe out will make a sled dart. Unless something is bent, the shocks should not cause darting. The stock carbides are small so the sled will steer and not grab the ruts left buy other sleds. I agree to go to at least 8 inch carbides but the skis will be more aggressive so remember that, some guys don't like that. Just check the ski toe out before you drive yourself crazy.

meathead

Darting is dangerous! Not going to buy one of those!! (See how stupid remarks like this can blow the whole image of a good product) Carry on. Morning rants are like morning Wood. p.s. I like the red/blk. one with the longer track.
PRIDER1, That and get the taller windshield (helps with downword pressure.):} ....MEATHEAD

Always minimum 1/4 toe out , no more than 1/2 inch. Even 'zero' toe out will make a sled dart. Unless something is bent, the shocks should not cause darting. The stock carbides are small so the sled will steer and not grab the ruts left buy other sleds. I agree to go to at least 8 inch carbides but the skis will be more aggressive so remember that, some guys don't like that. Just check the ski toe out before you drive yourself crazy.

Thx, I'll relay the advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Who runs stock OEM carbides on anything new?? OEM just there to get your started me not 1 mile & switch out to Bergstrom or dually of choice.

Never had a problem with stock Skidoo carbides, Oh I forgot yamahas dont turn well

ridesrx

I have used ski-doo pilots on both of my Procross sleds. An F1100na, and an F800. Super light steering effort, and they still turn well. And they rarely dart. The trail has to be frozen and rutted to make it dart. And even then it's manageable. I used a 6 inch carbide on the center keel, and a 4 inch on the outside keel. This works the best for me.