Yamaha boats

maddogg

I was looking at them also. Gary, would you happen to know if the 1.8 has enough power to get a skier up with 3 people in the boat?

Thank you!

whitedust

I was looking at them also. Gary, would you happen to know if the 1.8 has enough power to get a skier up with 3 people in the boat?

Thank you!
Jet boats are bad ski boats lots of wake turbulence marginal pulling power for deep starts. I wouldn’t purchase a jet for skiing not good at it. Jets are for cruising primarily in clean water problematic for weeds and sand clogging up plumbing. Jets are fun for power stops if you like to cowboy around all other boat traditional power trains are better than jets for general boating. What’s your reason for jet drive?

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
would you happen to know if the 1.8 has enough power to get a skier up with 3 people in the boat?
Doubtful. Whitedust is pretty much correct, stay out of the weed beds and with that kind of load you'll want to go bigger. Probably some good prices before long. Good luck!

maddogg

Thanks guys. I was just looking at all my options - I really liked the layout of the boats. Right now the wife wants a tri-toon or deck boat, but I need something a little more for cruising. A deck boat would be nice, but they become really pricey when outfitted with a motor large enough to get the job done.

whitedust

Thanks guys. I was just looking at all my options - I really liked the layout of the boats. Right now the wife wants a tri-toon or deck boat, but I need something a little more for cruising. A deck boat would be nice, but they become really pricey when outfitted with a motor large enough to get the job done.

Well out of those choices the Yamaha jet boat handles the most like a boat. Tritoons are more about stability and rough water handling for a pontoon over double toons. Deck boats are hybrids but slugs at everything they do from cruising to lounging or pulling a skier. Hurricane is a popular deckboat brand but use wood bulkhead construction which is not a consideration for me. Nautic Star is an all glass construction deck boat and is gaining a lot of market share and dealers. Your best investment is probably a pontoon and most people keep them for along time don’t turn them quickly for the most part. You can get a pontoon configured anyway you want them. I do like the chase lounge, captain chairs plus front or rear fishing chairs with pop up potties and sun decks. A pontoon is very stable and is the ultimate party barge. I wouldn’t pay for tritoons unless I intended to use the pontoon boat on rough water. Any pontoon will pitch and roll when moored in wave and wakie water. Money would be better spent on interior enhancements. You have lots to look at that’s for sure!

favoritos

Maddogg, would you be towing and launching every time you use the boat? That would be a big factor with a pontoon.
I've never played around with "deck boats". I have had some nice "open bow" boats that also performed amazing for pulling and playing.
I guess it really comes down to how you want to cruise and use. It is hard to find one that does everything extremely well.

maddogg

Thanks everyone. Yes, I would be launching every time. Right now I have a 18' fishing boat that was excellent before the kids. Now that they love the boat, its a little tight, underpowered, and I miss the bow cushions/front of the speedboat we had growing up. We do some fishing, but not anything tournament like - so we can fish out of everything. Right now the kids enjoy tubing and are learning to ski. I use the transom hooks now, but a ski pole would be nice - I don't need/want a tower setup. Most of our days are on local lakes, but we do the Mississippi and Winnebago tours sometimes.

When this virus stuff is over we plan on going to some boat shows. I just appreciate the honest feedback and opinions on this site too.

Happy Friday everyone.

whitedust

No fun towing a pontoon very far and bunk trailer is a lot more stable than center jack lift for sure. Problem with bunk trailer and pontoon is you need deeper water to launch. I can understand why you like the Yamaha layout even with jet performance limitations. You probably would be happier with the Yamaha overall but if price is a problem the Bayliner Scout is a very reasonably priced family deck boat and easy to trailer.

slimcake

Just sold my 20' sea ray boat. Hadn't been in the water in 6 years. I lived the "man's two happiest days are when he buys a boat and when he sells the boat!!" Sorry I had to .....

G

G

No fun towing a pontoon very far and bunk trailer is a lot more stable than center jack lift for sure. Problem with bunk trailer and pontoon is you need deeper water to launch. I can understand why you like the Yamaha layout even with jet performance limitations. You probably would be happier with the Yamaha overall but if price is a problem the Bayliner Scout is a very reasonably priced family deck boat and easy to trailer.
Not a Bayliner fan. You get what you pay for. If you die and go to he// the only boats for sale are Bayliner s.

bearrassler

Not a Bayliner fan. You get what you pay for. If you die and go to he// the only boats for sale are Bayliner s.

Bayliners are good boats. I was a Bayliner dealer for over 25 years and sold probably close to 2000 of them. We had very few issues with them, less on average than other brands that I sold. I have run Bayliners in the Atlantic Ocean, the Gulf of Mexico, the Puget Sound, San Diego Bay, Lake of the Woods in both the US and Canada, Lake Okeechobee, and many other large bodies of water with no issues

whitedust

Bayliners are ok take a cookie cutter approach to run about / deck boat models limited colors of gel and vinyl keep costs down and passed on to the consumer. Bayliner basic construction is pretty good can’t say there have been major problems. You won’t buy a unique Bayliner boat but so what it’s yours. Lol