Yamaha Coming to Pat's this Weekend!

old abe

It's called the Viper.....that's all you get!
I think if Yamaha designed and built the pro cross chassis
The pure Yamaha guys would be happy, so why not now?...
pride and bragging rights?

Yami needs to design and build a "all new" from the start Viper, or what ever you badge it that is better balanced/handling, and lighter weight. The shoe horned Viper has allowed Yami adequate time to do this. And no power steering needed please.

ss440

Yami needs to design and build a "all new" from the start Viper, or what ever you badge it that is better balanced/handling, and lighter weight. The shoe horned Viper has allowed Yami adequate time to do this. And no power steering needed please.

I doubt we see a true yamaha sled for a very long time maybe never. Japanese business culture is to stick with a product mostly unchanged for a long time. It's more efficient in there eyes. They tried to be more innovative with the nitro and phazer and we all know how that worked out, they never tweaked them enough like a North American company would of done to fix them. They have 2 very nice products with the SW and viper I bet we'll only see these two sleds for along time

1fujifilm

Hopefully you guys get a rebound by this weekend. I know there was enough snow up there a couple weeks ago so if you get some fresh stuff you should have a few more weeks of riding.

I am assuming the U.P. also received about an inch of rain yesterday too.

old abe

I doubt we see a true yamaha sled for a very long time maybe never. Japanese business culture is to stick with a product mostly unchanged for a long time. It's more efficient in there eyes. They tried to be more innovative with the nitro and phazer and we all know how that worked out, they never tweaked them enough like a North American company would of done to fix them. They have 2 very nice products with the SW and viper I bet we'll only see these two sleds for along time

If that's the case they'll be lucky to stay with it for very long. Too bad, then we have 3????

whitedust

I was thinking what if Yamaha had kept the Nyro in the line? The Nytro and Apex prolly would have morphed into 1 sled by now with a neat rider forward chassis with a new turbo and non turbo triple that is in the SW. Crying shame in some ways it didn't happen that way since sharing the CK from the Nytro. Some rumors about a 2018 Apex with a new front end. To me Yamaha needs a better Apex skid than than the SS the front end with aggressive ST carves well for me with single keel stock Yamaha skis.

kip

Yamaha is here today for any of you in the area that would like to ride a new Sidewinder!!

dfattack

It's called the Viper.....that's all you get!
I think if Yamaha designed and built the pro cross chassis
The pure Yamaha guys would be happy, so why not now?...
pride and bragging rights?

Viper is just a name. If Yamaha built a sled from the bottom up it wouldn't be the current Viper or the Sidewinder for that matter. I've been a Yamaha guy since the early 80's when my dad bought me my first sled 1983 SS440. I have owned two Doo's when my son was younger. I wanted him to have a slower fan cooled sled. Yamaha didn't have one. The doo's were reliable. No problems. If Yamaha trims their lineup to only Viper's and Sidewinder's then I keep my two Apex XTX's as long as I can...then jump over to Doo's. I like the purebred Yamaha's but if I can't get one the Doo is a very nice option.

whitedust

Viper is just a name. If Yamaha built a sled from the bottom up it wouldn't be the current Viper or the Sidewinder for that matter. I've been a Yamaha guy since the early 80's when my dad bought me my first sled 1983 SS440. I have owned two Doo's when my son was younger. I wanted him to have a slower fan cooled sled. Yamaha didn't have one. The doo's were reliable. No problems. If Yamaha trims their lineup to only Viper's and Sidewinder's then I keep my two Apex XTX's as long as I can...then jump over to Doo's. I like the purebred Yamaha's but if I can't get one the Doo is a very nice option.

I agree if Yamacats not your thing then only doo left for 4s. I liked SW after demo ride engine response is really good won't miss the Apex engine but SW sure is a load to steer and needs EPS. 2018 Yamaha line up will answer a lot of questions about the future and doo needs to adress the 150-160 4s market I'm not interested in doo 2s.

G

G

With the current uncertainty associated with the politics these days I can't see Yamaha going all in on new designs or anything but BNG. Lots of smoke in the form of tariffs and import fees. Nobody knows what will happen. As much as the yellow crowd hates to admit the SW has been a home run. Sure they sold a bunch of 850's. What were the guys with 800 Doo's supposed to do - go back to 600's? The SW sold well and did not have very many problems. All that is required to sell a SW is a test ride. The power is addicting, they sound wicked, and after that anything can be afforded. I hear Whitedust about the steering but to me that would not be much of an issue. I had 5 Apexes without PS and the power and sound trumps steering. That is why I don't dare get on a SW. I keep telling myself I will never ever buy a new sled that weighs over 500 lbs but that would be out the window in a hurry after a quick blast down a straight trail. Bring on the BNG.

dfattack

With the current uncertainty associated with the politics these days I can't see Yamaha going all in on new designs or anything but BNG. Lots of smoke in the form of tariffs and import fees. Nobody knows what will happen. As much as the yellow crowd hates to admit the SW has been a home run. Sure they sold a bunch of 850's. What were the guys with 800 Doo's supposed to do - go back to 600's? The SW sold well and did not have very many problems. All that is required to sell a SW is a test ride. The power is addicting, they sound wicked, and after that anything can be afforded. I hear Whitedust about the steering but to me that would not be much of an issue. I had 5 Apexes without PS and the power and sound trumps steering. That is why I don't dare get on a SW. I keep telling myself I will never ever buy a new sled that weighs over 500 lbs but that would be out the window in a hurry after a quick blast down a straight trail. Bring on the BNG.

maybe you don't know what you are missing (EPS) because you haven't had one? I know once you get used to the EPS and you ride another sled without it...that's when you miss it. To be honest I don't know if that would be the case in a sled that is lighter weight than an Apex. You may not miss the power steering on a sled that weighs 100 lbs. less than the Apexs.

whitedust

maybe you don't know what you are missing (EPS) because you haven't had one? I know once you get used to the EPS and you ride another sled without it...that's when you miss it. To be honest I don't know if that would be the case in a sled that is lighter weight than an Apex. You may not miss the power steering on a sled that weighs 100 lbs. less than the Apexs.

You ride SW to Apex XTX you don't miss the Apex engine but the lack of EPS is very noticable and a game breaker. Yamaha installs EPS on the SW and it would be difficult to resist as said the engine is addicting and the sitting position to stand up is better than Apex. Idk maybe SW eps in 2018?... if just BNG I'll look but won't buy nothing for me.

G

G

Good point. I have not ridden an Apex with PS. The reason I ended up getting rid of all the Apexes was weight. Because of the weight the suspensions were always lacking. No matter what you do there is a big heavy motor in front. Apexes do not like to be flying around up in the air. Gravity will always win and you will come crashing down to earth. Hard. And they are so front heavy that as a rider you cannot twist the front end up while you are in the air. Oh, wait, Kip said they were heavy!!! I like to fly around over field crossings and for that my AC's work better. If Yami would have put more effort into skis the whole PS thing would have never been neccesary. See Pilot skis. Last time I checked a SW is not 100 lbs lighter than an Apex. Closer to 50. That said I still do not want to get on a SW. I would have to have one. I always liked the linear pull of the Apex. The Winder will be that X2. There is no perfect sled. In a perfect world a person would have to have about 5 of them to cover all circumstances. I would get an 850 'Doo and go out and race 600 Pols and lose on purpose just because.

byr 13

You ride SW to Apex XTX you don't miss the Apex engine but the lack of EPS is very noticable and a game breaker. Yamaha installs EPS on the SW and it would be difficult to resist as said the engine is addicting and the sitting position to stand up is better than Apex. Idk maybe SW eps in 2018?... if just BNG I'll look but won't buy nothing for me.

yes SW needs EPS