Yamaha Posts 2 Billion in Net Losses

marty__kms

I don't mean to pick on Yamaha with this post as I am sure all others in this industry are in similar situations, some I'm sure are far worse, it just happens that Yamaha released info. Sad state we are all in...

Yamaha president resigns after $2 billion loss

Powersports Business
Tuesday November 3, 2009

After a dramatic tumble in Yamaha’s revised earnings projections for the year ending in December, Yamaha Motor President Takashi Kajikawa left his position Nov. 1, though he will still be on Yamaha’s board of directors, according to a company press release.

Yamaha’s revised earnings projections estimated a consolidated net loss of approximately $2 billion, compared to the previous forecast of nearly $465 million.

Yamaha Motor’s Chairman Tsuneji Togami is now president. Togami, 63, was senior managing director before becoming chairman in March 2007. The post of chairman will be vacated after the reshuffle.

Faced with slumping demand for its products amid the economic downturn, the company will try to turn its operations around through the top management change, company officials said.

polarisrider1

Wow! very dishonorable, poor guy now must commit kamakaze on himself. In the US of A. You get a Golden Parachute, write a book and go on the College speaker circuit for millions more. Failure has become success in America.

S

skylar

No, if he was in charge of an American company, he would get a 1,000,000 dollar bonus, and a new contract!

nytro

you guys crack me up, it's hairy carry or something like that lmao. After switching to yamaha with a new 2010, this could be bad news

kip

I recently spoke with my DM about this issue and this was a planned cut in production by Yamaha thus the losses came with. We have sold all products through our years and Yamaha has by far been the best company to work with as they don't push their product on their dealers like other companies do. They are smart and they realize times are difficult so they are structuring accordingly. Sometimes a loss early is better than a loss over a long duration causing an unhealthy dealer network. As anyone in the business well knows that Yamaha rarely has noncurrent product which is something we can't say for other manufactures. Also, they have cut back production even more causing a demand for their product. Very smart move. It may cost money now but creating a demand will be a good first step to recovery in a desimated economy. Thanks for the concern Marty. Good Luck in the upcoming selling season. Kip

Pat's Motorsports, INC.
Greenland, MI 49929
Authorized Yamaha Dealer for 30 Years.

F

fusion

I guarantee you, if Yamaha is hurting, just wait until you see financial results for Arctic Cat and Polaris. I'm less worried about BRP, but they won't be very good either. Yam did all they could, with a cut in production that will guarantee to protect value of current customers product. This isn't even all that shocking considering the way Yamaha has been discounting and offering up warranty vouchers. They cleared their inventory, just like the chip makers, memory manufacturers and other associated high tech businesses had to do in the early 2000's. Standard procedure. I highly doubt Yamaha is going out of business, but I can't say the same for one of the other three, more likely one of the other 2.

ubee

Yamaha Snowmobile Division is just a tiny,tiny part of the whole world corp!They probably make more pianos than sleds!Who is the president of Yamaha Motor Corporation,USA! hes the guy in charge for the USA motorsports.I bet he got a bonus for his frugal business decisions!!

frnash

<font color="0000ff">polarisrider1:
"… poor guy now must commit kamakaze on himself."</font>
<strike>kamakaze</strike> kamikaze.
But what you're looking for here is really seppuku.

polarisrider1

Harakiri a form of seppuku is what I meant. Kamikaze just sounded better. It's better that Takashi Kajikawa resigned instead of leading the Company on a banzai charge!

jeepbob47

Fusion, Down here in Northen Illinois people who work for BRP (formerly OMC) will be un-employed January 2010. So as usual no one is immune. Ski Doo and BRP ran through their Canadien Government bailout money in two seconds.

whitedust

Hmmmm UPMI Doo dealer makes this post surrounded by sucessful Yamaha dealers. Fact sure but negative selling.....Maybe? As Fusion said no good news coming from any other sled OEMs so stones thrown at glass houses shatter easily. Whatever..... I still luv my Attack & think Yamaha 4s are the best. Kip & Chad take good care of me & my Yamaha so all is good & I'm looking forward to a good sleddin season
happy.gif

oldguy

Well let’s see BRP borrowed 31 million from the Canadian Government April of 2009. Cat lost 2.7 million the third quarter of 2009. Polaris had a net income of 31 million the 3rd quarter of 2009. That doesn’t mean Polaris will keep making sleds, but at least they are doing better than the other three right now.

chad66

If it wasn't for the Canadian Gov. BRP would be in very bad shape if not out of business. Marty, buddy. When will you learn!? BTW I picked up a box of Keweenaw trail maps for KMS so stop by and grab them.

Chad@M&M

uncle_ed

It looks like they all bottomed out in January of this year. Cat may be the slowest on the rebound but Yamaha seems to be moving in the right direction. They could give up the snow division maybe but as a company I dont think they are going anywhere.
118813.gif

118814.gif

118815.gif

118816.gif

marty__kms

Chad,

LOL you are so right, I should really learn to listen to you.

Whitedust,

Negative selling, me! Obviously you don’t know me very well.

Like I attempted to say in the beginning:

By marty__kms on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 05:12 pm: Edit Post
“I don't mean to pick on Yamaha with this post as I am sure all others in this industry are in similar situations, some I'm sure are far worse, it just happens that Yamaha released info. Sad state we are all in...”

Some of us read what we want & talk before utilizing all available assets, obviously I am included in this statement as Chad was so gracious to point out so subtly, nice.