Your 1st & 2nd Sled? Age & Area

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
1St sled, 79 el tigre i believe i bought it in 1989.

2nd sled, 1988 cougar, bought that in 1990.

Current sled, 2012 Polaris Pro RMK 800.

mefroe

it all started with a 72 Lynx when I was 12 from there it went 75 Jag340,78 Jag 3000,80 Jag 4000,84 Phazer,86 Phazer,ext530,550 cougar,ZL 500 efi,and now it's a 2007 Attak. Dang it's about time for an update I think.

ac600sp

First sled was a 86' Yamaha 340cc Enticer, Dad bought two in 90'. Then bought a 91' Indy 500 in mind 90's. Switched to Cat in 98'. Current sled 13' AC 800 High Country

Didn't grow up riding snowmobiles. Rode on the back of one once when I was a kid it was a friends. First sled was a 1981 Polaris centurion 500 that ran pretty good for as old as it was bought in the late 90's. That sled didn't make it past the first winter fried the pistons. Second sled 1995 Polaris indy 500 efi really was a pretty good sled rode that for many winters till efi started giving me fits. Third sled brand new 2003 Polaris 500 xc sp edge rode that for several winters as well. Fourth sled switched to skidoo and have never looked back. new 2006 skidoo gsx short track. several other skidoos between there. Current sled 2014 skidoo 900 ace renegade.

Modman440

60s something Johnson it was powder blue and would puke gas alllllll. Over my legs age 10... age 15 95 zr 580 big bored piped and clutched was one amazing sled. Still got what's left of #2 piston lol not much tho....... haha

Current rides
2010 Sno pro race sled convert to trail But still stupid fast
08 M8 mostly stock
09 crossfire 1000 with upgrades all around
Sabercat 700 set up for cross country fully built just picked it up at an estate auction!!!!

uncle_ed

First sled I purchased for myself was a 1972 ski-doo 640 nordic. It had electric start and reverse on this old timer but with that steel tunnel and boggie wheel set up it was wise to "stay on the trail." I sold it to a guy up on lake simcoe who used it to pull shanties out on the lake for his fish hut business. 3 Yamaha and 5 polaris later I am back on a doo and riding a 2010 600 etec.

allen_shores

First sled was a 1977 Colt 250 SS twin Free air. My dad took me to the dealer the winter of 78 / 79 and I had no idea I would be riding a new sled home that day. Mom did not know it ether. Boy he paid **** for that! but I didn't care I was in heaven. Second sled I purchased myself was a used 1977 TX 340. Wish I still had the TX. That sled surprised many larger displacement sleds.

clark_w

Great Thread:
1st Sled bought in 74: 72 Ski Daddler Mark V 400DE
2nd Sled bought in 76: 76 Arctic Cat Jag 3000
skipping a couple other Arctic Cats here.....
1st Polaris bought in 1983: 83 Polaris Cross Country, been riding Polaris's ever since.

This thread now has me thinking on all the sleds I had through out the years, WOW, wish I still had them all.

Clark

groomerdriver

1st sled was a new 1984 SkiDoo Safari 377 - the pop-up headlight was just too cool!

2nd sled was a new 1986 Polaris Trail Indy. First year of the fan cooled 488. That sled would go through anything....the motor was a torque monster.

skiroule

Second sled I purchased myself was a used 1977 TX 340. Wish I still had the TX. That sled surprised many larger displacement sleds.

Hold that thought and if you haven't done so, check out John's September 21st journal. It could happen.....

Agree - Great Thread! Really interesting to see how and when it all got started and where it's gone from there. Lots of variety!

doofan1

1st sled was a 1968 Polaris 250 Colt given to me around 1982.My cousins put it through it paces. I worked on it way more than I ever got to ride it.Good thing to learn on when your 10 years old.
2nd sled was a 1972 Arctic Cat Cheetah 340. Worked on that one quite a it as well but not as much as the Polaris.

Grew up riding in the back yard and around town in Pembine WI. Still ride there as much as I can. Not as easy to do when you dont live there any more though.

Currenlty riding a 2010 600 Etec Renegade. Sure beats the old stuff I had. My kids have the pleaseure of riding an 09 TNT and 05 GTX and 95 Puma. They have no idea what is used to be like. Had to take them to a vintage race so they might begin to understand where the sport started and how far it has come

allen_shores

Hold that thought and if you haven't done so, check out John's September 21st journal. It could happen.....

Agree - Great Thread! Really interesting to see how and when it all got started and where it's gone from there. Lots of variety!

Just waiting for those tickets to go on sale! That sled is looking fine.

oldguy

first sled 1 year old 1966 Evinrude Skeeter 14 hp
second sled new 1969 Evinrude Bobcat 372cc JLO 21 hp
current 2015 Polaris 800 Pro S AXYS

hudson056

Started at age 7 riding with my uncle

4500 Citation

my first purchase at age 15, 79 JD Trail Fire

age 16 Yamaha 440SS

Current 06 600HO Fusion

my now 8yr old son is addicted to snowmobile riding, taking him on his first trip up north this year...HES PUMPED (I cant wait!)

skiroule

It’s interesting how many people started out on low HP sleds. I think my 68 Johnson was something like 16 hp.

In about 1970 a friend and I thought it would be an adventure to ride from Bemidji to Baudette, MN – a distance of about 100 miles. Nothing by today’s standards but this was 1970. There were no trails so we rode fields, ditches, and sometimes right down the middle of the road. My friend had a 372 Polaris Charger and I can still remember him literally riding circles around me out of boredom. In the meantime, I had er’ pinned to the bars at about 18 mph.

At around the 50 mile mark, my wife came flying by with the trailer (when was the last time you saw a 57 Chevy pulling a snowmobile trailer?). We flagged her down and rode the rest of the way in relative comfort. We didn’t meet our “Baudette or Bust” goal but we made a lifetime memory.

1st -1965 Arctic Cat (Originally red & white with a 372cc Hirth). My Dad got in 1968 for the family.
2nd - 1970 Skiroule with a 277 cc Sachs. I used my paper route savings and split the cost with my Dad.
Current - 2012 Skidoo Skandic WT w/600 Ace four stroke & 2006 Arctic Cat Panther Touring w/660 four stroke.
Been riding in the U.P. since the beginning.