your daughter's helmet

agriffinjd

I saw in a pic you posted that you have a full face helmet for your daughter. How's it work? Too heavy? Do you go on long rides (25-50 miles) with her? Does her neck do ok? I've been using an open face for my daughter with a snap-on face shield and have wondered if her neck could hold the extra weight of a full face.

Thanks.

Andy

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Andy.

No long rides yet, just some zipping around the yard and my friends fields. She did fine with that, but I think I would work her up to any kind of a longer ride. Just to avoid any unpleasant experience with snowmobiling at this early stage.

-John

scott_b

Andy,

My son just turned 4 last week, up until now we had been using an open face snow ski helmet with goggles. This year we upgraded to an HJC full face helmet. The longest we have ridden with the new helmet was about 40 miles at a time and he had no problem with his neck. The helmet is very nice, fits well, came with a dual pane shield and breath deflector. The helmet also has a number of vents for warmer days or in the summer. Take a look.
http://www.hjchelmets.com/ then search CS-Y

Also if you don't already have a mountain strap on your sled get one, great place for the kids to hang on.

agriffinjd

The mountain strap...that's a good idea. On my fx nytro there's not a really good spot for her to hold on, but on my wife's phazer it has a foam block thing that works well. I think I'll look into the strap...

Chicago Boy

Just a tip

What we did for my little girl was just make sure to rap 2 scarves around her neck .
It keeps her head upright most pain comes from the back and forth at stop n go
Good luck and
P.S. she was 5 or so and took a 200 mi run from Houghton to copper back to Gay and back to houghton