Your Drone

skid

John, haven't seen any mention or pics from your drone, you didn't crash it did you or are you in a no fly zone lol.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Plenty of crashes, but none fatal or even damaging. It is currently sitting in my office and I look at it almost every day and think to myself that I really need to get flying that thing again. It is a lot of fun and I will get it airborne again, plus start taking some video.

I do believe I actually need to register it with the feds (or whoever), but figure as long as I am on my own property, I am safe to fly and video.

Great question and keep posted, there will be pics and video as I get better at flying it.

-John

frnash

… I do believe I actually need to register [my drone] with the feds (or whoever), but figure as long as I am on my own property, I am safe to fly and video. …
"… as long as I am on my own property, I am safe to fly and video." Nope, 'fraid not!

Need to register? Oh you betcha!
Excerpts from FAA's UAS Registration Q&A (FAQs)

All small unmanned aircraft that meet the registration criteria must be registered prior to operation outdoors. If you operated your small unmanned aircraft UAS before Dec. 21, 2015, the FAA provided a grace period during which you were permitted to continue operations without registering the aircraft. However, beginning February 19, 2016, all small unmanned aircraft owners must register their aircraft if they wish to continue to operate outdoors.

Failure to register an aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal sanctions. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.

See the full (click →) UAS Registration Q&A (FAQs).

To register your drone, see the (click →) FAA's Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS) Registration Service web page.

What do you want to do with your drone?
  1. Fly for fun? Hobby/recreational Flying?
    See (click →) What Can I Do With My Small Unmanned Aircraft?
  2. Fly for commercial profit or for your business?
    You need FAA authorization via (click →) Section 333.
Yards of bureaucratic red tape? Well, it is a "gubmint" operation! Enjoy! :)

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I guess what I meant by on my own property is that no feds would know I am doing it and be able to catch me. Of course if I post videos or pictures, I might be incriminating myself, but find that risk acceptable. :)

Thanks for the links though, I will have to use them to register.

By the way, what the heck are you up so early for??? or are you STILL up?

I did not read all of Frnash's links, but I believe if using for commercial use, the operator needs to go through pilot training classes. Keep it for fun I guess.

HH

frnash

I guess what I meant by on my own property is that no feds would know I am doing it and be able to catch me. Of course if I post videos or pictures, I might be incriminating myself, but find that risk acceptable. :)

Just for the record, from FAA's UAS Registration Q&A (FAQs):
Q22: If I'm just flying it for fun in my yard, do I have to register it?
A: Yes, if the UAS weight is within the stated weights for registration.

(Hmmm, Maybe I shouldn't have posted that? :confused:)

Am I up so early or STILL up?

Well yes 'twas an all-nighter. I do far too many all-nighters, and have for my entire career in computers as well. I have always been a night owl, and seriously non-functional before 10AM-ish. Typically once I get hooked on a programming challenge, I simply must stay with it until I reach some significant plateau. Going to bed is futile, as my mental wheels will continue spinning, making sleep impossible.