ZR 6000 2 up heads up

Ramsey

So I bought a new ZR6000 this fall with the plans to buy a 2 up seat kit to use periodically, not all the time. I ended up getting the 2 up seat, and wiring harness for the heated grips, all from Arctic Cat. Everything is plug and play, no shade tree engineering involved. After everything is installed I can't use the heated grips on HIGH, when I turn them on HIGH the dash panel goes off, the headlight dims dramatically and the taillight turns off. I called my dealer about it, he called Arctic Cat to find out what was up. In the end I was told that the 600 cc engine just doesn't put out enough juice to supply everything so don't use the heated grips on HIGH. Hhhmmm, not gonna lie, it's a little frustrating. Nowhere in the catalog (or online) was there any kind of disclosure stating that the $99.95 wiring harness not function properly on any model.
Has anyone else ran into this problem? Thanks, Ramsey

old abe

I would have thought your dealer would have been aware of the electrical out put capacity of the 600 engine. They have been out for several years now. Does this capacity differ between sled models? Kind of a let down for sure. Good luck to you on this.

ezra

E start? prob not . would assume if a 600 had e start it would prob work for at least 3/4 day or longer on high.
also this is prob at idol in shop right? if so out on the trail running with some rpm prob wont be a issue just like when your grips get a lot warmer running along at a brisk pace

Ramsey

E start? prob not . would assume if a 600 had e start it would prob work for at least 3/4 day or longer on high.
also this is prob at idol in shop right? if so out on the trail running with some rpm prob wont be a issue just like when your grips get a lot warmer running along at a brisk pace

It is electric start, I lifted it in the shop and wound it up, same result.

T

Tracker

So I bought a new ZR6000 this fall with the plans to buy a 2 up seat kit to use periodically, not all the time. I ended up getting the 2 up seat, and wiring harness for the heated grips, all from Arctic Cat. Everything is plug and play, no shade tree engineering involved. After everything is installed I can't use the heated grips on HIGH, when I turn them on HIGH the dash panel goes off, the headlight dims dramatically and the taillight turns off. I called my dealer about it, he called Arctic Cat to find out what was up. In the end I was told that the 600 cc engine just doesn't put out enough juice to supply everything so don't use the heated grips on HIGH. Hhhmmm, not gonna lie, it's a little frustrating. Nowhere in the catalog (or online) was there any kind of disclosure stating that the $99.95 wiring harness not function properly on any model.
Has anyone else ran into this problem? Thanks, Ramsey

you don't say what year 600....but they work on a 600cc 2 up touring model....yes? so from yer 600 to a touring one with rear warmers....theres another capacitor or some device making it work on that model...yes? because at the factory they aren't making special ones....they are taking a ZR and modifying it to TOURING....so look into it that way...and if its a 1999....there was a vendor problem with the kill switch which can effect the warmers...ya had to UNPLUG the kill switch and run that way....no amount of buying a new one ever fixed it....believe me I tried....and if you want.....I know a guy that can hook you up...let me know if ya cant get her

Ramsey

you don't say what year 600....but they work on a 600cc 2 up touring model....yes? so from yer 600 to a touring one with rear warmers....theres another capacitor or some device making it work on that model...yes? because at the factory they aren't making special ones....they are taking a ZR and modifying it to TOURING....so look into it that way...and if its a 1999....there was a vendor problem with the kill switch which can effect the warmers...ya had to UNPLUG the kill switch and run that way....no amount of buying a new one ever fixed it....believe me I tried....and if you want.....I know a guy that can hook you up...let me know if ya cant get her

It's a brand new 2016

saber1

could it be a short in one of the heating elements causing a drain on the system just throwing that out there

old abe

I thought from the original post, A/C said the 600 Ctec didn't have the electrical output capacity to operate the warmers on high?????? Without the stator's electrical output needed to do this, I hate to say your just stuck. Is there a higher capacity stator available on a different model that would be compatible??????

Ramsey

I thought from the original post, A/C said the 600 Ctec didn't have the electrical output capacity to operate the warmers on high?????? Without the stator's electrical output needed to do this, I hate to say your just stuck. Is there a higher capacity stator available on a different model that would be compatible??????

I don't have any idea about the stator swap, that's out of my range of knowledge for sure. It's just frustrating that there was no mention of the part not being compatible with the ZR 6000, the part is listed for use with the ZR 6000. It's like paying extra for a spare tire for your new car. Then when you need the spare you find out that it doesn't fit your car, it's for a pick up truck.
The main reason for posting this thread was to find out if anybody else had experienced the same situation and what they did to take care of the issue.
Thanks for all the responses.

If they offer a set of gauntlets for the second seat hand grips put those on and that will help, it may be all you need with the heaters set on low.

old abe

If they offer a set of gauntlets for the second seat hand grips put those on and that will help, it may be all you need with the heaters set on low.
polarismike has a good idea with the gauntlets, and should solve the rider having cold hands. I don't even use the heaters with gauntlets, unless 30 below in Canada. Without the electrical capacity of your stator, you cannot solve your problem. A/C should have advised of this problem with certain applications of this add on kit. I would be very upset also. Good luck to you.

JimAndros

I think that the electric start is the only DC system on that machine. If I am right, then the battery & DC is of no issue. I don't see where they make a 600 2-up. Regardless, I can appreciate your issue.