02 Edge X 600 leaking coolant from top of head

dereks2623

Has anyone had any issues with the liberty engines leaking coolant at the top of the head? If so how do i fix it? This sled has sat for two year with not a single mile put on it. Is the gasket just dry on top and needs to be replaced or is it much more serious then that? I appears to only be coming from one bolt.

One bolt?...on the bottom of the head, on the mag side?..... just replaced those yesterday on a buddy's sled, sled sat all winter (not leaking when put away) seen it and its an easy fix! pull the cylinder head off buy the INNER and OUTER o' rings, you might have problems with the outside one's fitting right "too big"..... put them in the freezer for 15min and put them right in. put your head back on ( inspect it but you dont have to put a new gasket in between the head and the coolant cap, or whatever it's called) torque your bolts to 18-22 ftlbs and fill er' up with coolant and BAM fixed good I think it cost him like $25...hope this Helps GOOD luck

I forgot to say the leak is coming from the bottom side of the head and Seeping up through the bolt hole in the head, we inspected the seals and they appeared fine so dont be fooled! just replace them worked great for us!

snosgr8

I had this problem last year with my 600. I just torqued the bolt down and the leak stopped. Simple. Worth a try first.

yea I guess thats worth a try! but WATCH it close I mean the stock torque specs are 18-22lbs thats NOT that tight so maybe the gasket is getting worn out and not sealing like it should with the the adequete bolt torquing! better to be safe than sorry. original motor with I think 7200 miles on it. so that might be better anyway. depending on your miles.

ezra

I had a edgex 800 with less than 20 mi on it when the motor popped 5+hr from home it was a bad o ring right out of the factory.I have a small 1 gal shop vac I use for sucking coolant.to pull head you don't need to remove much.usually new o rings fit ok but if having trouble 1 was is spray ring with hair spray and have a hand full of large sockets and work ring around and set socket on ring all the way around and let dry.slowly twist and lift sockets 1 at a time ring should stay in the grove