04 GSX 800 HO Rear Shock

doofan1

Took the sled out of storage yesterday. Rear suspsnsion bounces like a pogo stick. looks like oil on the rear shock.

Does anyone know if these shocks can be rebuilt? I think it's the stock skidoo HPG VR shock.

Any advise on where to send it?

Thanks

indy_500

It can be rebuilt, most likely your seal inside is shot so now it needs to be recharged and a new seal put on.

russholio

Don't know if it's any different from the shocks on a 600.....but I can tell you the rear shocks on my 05 and my fiancee's 04 were not rebuildable.

There are some shock guys on here who may be able to give you some insight, or I've had good luck with a guy on DooTalk who did mine. If you think you might be interested, feel free to send me a personal message and I'll give you his email address and web site info.

indy_500

Don't know if it's any different from the shocks on a 600.....but I can tell you the rear shocks on my 05 and my fiancee's 04 were not rebuildable.

There are some shock guys on here who may be able to give you some insight, or I've had good luck with a guy on DooTalk who did mine. If you think you might be interested, feel free to send me a personal message and I'll give you his email address and web site info.

woah you serious? polaris has been making 75-100% of their sleds since like 98 with rebuildable shocks.

russholio

woah you serious? polaris has been making 75-100% of their sleds since like 98 with rebuildable shocks.

Indy, it depends on the model, and sometimes the different option packages within a specific model. Some models and packages give you rebuildable shocks, some do not.

indy_500

Indy, it depends on the model, and sometimes the different option packages within a specific model. Some models and packages give you rebuildable shocks, some do not.

I realize that but a 800 model from a 2004 ski doo should have a rebuildable shock IMO

mikes99ss

here is the way to tell if your shock is rebuldable on any shock ever made by mankind. Look for the valve on the outside of the main shock body. I realize its a crappy cell phone pic, but without this valve there is no way to recharge the nitrogen and this making it not rebuildable. chick on the pic and you can wee it better..

Attachments

• IMAG0152.jpg
    IMAG0152.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

russholio

here is the way to tell if your shock is rebuldable on any shock ever made by mankind. Look for the valve on the outside of the main shock body. I realize its a crappy cell phone pic, but without this valve there is no way to recharge the nitrogen and this making it not rebuildable. chick on the pic and you can wee it better..

Right on.

longtrack

If its a HPG VR Shock it is not rebuildable and must be replaced.

It would be nice if some People who don't know what there talking about would comment on a Polaris issue instead of giving bad advise to someone.

frnash

It would be nice if some People who don't know what there [sic] talking about would comment on a Polaris issue instead of giving bad advise [sic] to someone.

Nice advice, (even if misspelled).
I would advise y'all to not take such bad advice! :)

michaeladams

i have an 03 and havn't done anything with the shocks.they seem alright how do you know for certain they are shot?it's just that all you guys with newer sleds than mine have shock issues and i can't believe mine are still good.7000 miles 3500 of them are miles i put on.

mjkaliszak

i have an 03 and havn't done anything with the shocks.they seem alright how do you know for certain they are shot?it's just that all you guys with newer sleds than mine have shock issues and i can't believe mine are still good.7000 miles 3500 of them are miles i put on.

To test a shock, remove from skid ( preferably )
Compress the shaft completely and check it see if it returns to it's fully extended position.

longtrack

I never had a problem with the HPG VR on my 05 GTX(8000 Miles). I had a HPG VR go out on my 09 GTX the first year. My Son also had a HP go on his 09 Renegade.

Take it out and try it. Sometimes these Shocks seem fine when you take them out but they are shot. I have had them work fine one Day and then bottom out the next. When your Sled bottoms out easily, the Shock is shot.