05 600HO GTX EStart Problem

doofan1

Last year the Estart would not work sometimes. Checked battery, cables, Switch all OK. Kind of forgot about it after I parked it for summer,

Recently trouble shot some more found that when it does not work there is no voltage to the solenoid coil. If I jump across the solenoind the starter spins over fine. If I put voltage to the coil it pulls in at spins over the starter. Once running the Start/RER switch will put it into reverse.

My quess is the Start/RER switch provides an input to the MPEM and the MPEM is what actually sends voltage to the starter solenoid. Does anyone know how the Estart circuit actually works on this sled? The Start/RER switch only has 1 pair of wires on it so it must provide an input to a module. Also not sure if the DESS could be part of the problem or not.

Everything else on the sled works fine. This is just irritiates me!!

Thanks

Jamie

snowbuff

Could be the relay. Common problem. Also make sure your voltage regulator is tight. The bolts thru the bulkhead tend to loosen and/or strip out. I installed bolts AND nuts on mine.

doofan1

Well I spent a few hours tracing wires in the harness over the weekend. The grounds all check out good. The Red/grn that goes to the coil on the started solonid comes out of the MPEM module. The wire is fine but I get no voltage out of the module.

I'm thinking it's a bad MPEM or there is some input to the MPEM that tells the machine it is already running? I have not been able to find a wiring diagram to show that though.

I may just add a second switch to start it and be done with this......

indootime

Had the exact same problem with my 05 GTX about a month ago. Press the button and just a click. Charged the battery, still just a click, jump the solenoid and it starts perfect. So I thought it was the Solenoid so I replaced it and it did the same thing... just a click! So I thought it was the MPEM and I called the dealer to get one but they said they very seldom replace them and to change the battery. I Replace the battery and it now works perfect. For some reason the Solenoid needs a certain amount of voltage from the signal to engage and even though the battery had enough to do one or the other it would not do both nor would the solenoid work even though it got its 12 volt signal. I have tried to start it for the last month and it starts just as perfect and strong as it did when it was new. I also have a great lead on Battery's that I found on ebay if you want it. They a sealed gel battery's and they are a third of the cost of the OEM battery.

Hope this works and feel free to call me if you need help.

Pat
586-863-7333

Attachments

• IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 17

doofan1

Sorry guys I left out some details.

I have an 800HO I swapped the battery, relay under the hood and the solonoid between the sleds. 800HO starts fine with 600HO parts but the 600HO still will not start when pushing the button.

If I put 12vdc from the battery to the coil on the solonid it will start just fine. That is the reason I'm leaning towards the MPEM.

Not sure what else I can test. Called a dealer they suggested bringing it in, really we're no help over the phone.

Thanks again

Jamie

indootime

Well I gave you some advise and guess what...mine is doing the same thing! Brand new battery! and I let the sled sit in the garage since my last post and all I get is a click. Put the battery on the charger and it go to "charged". Put another new battery in it and it starts fine. Charged the the first new battery and it starts but the next day yesterday just a click. Ran the sled 40 miles and it was fine.

Here are the latest symptoms and what I think are the problem with both machines.

1) New battery that is good but still not enough amps to send voltage to the solenoid/relay and starter at the same time.

2) Seems that the solenoid must have a certain amount of voltage or it will not send current to the starter. There is no "slow crank"...it either starts or clicks but no in between or should I say R R R click, click, click.

Pat

indootime

Well I ran it 40 miles on Sunday, 4 hours on the trailer at 70 mph in 15 deg. temp, sat in the garage all Monday and last night at 9pm it started without hesitation. Hmmmm?? Dealer said it was the starter drawing to much voltage?? Another mechanic said it was the starter sticking??

doofan1

Starter

I've only gotten to ride my sled twice this year but the estart only worked once while we had it out. Now that the sled is at the cabin I do not have access to do additional trouble shooting.

My brother in law started working at a skidoo dealer and he tells me the switch must be the problem. I disagree with him only because of the fact the machine goes into reverse once running. Same button.

I still think that either I have a bed MPEM or there is some sensor that will not allow the MPEM to output voltage to the starter.

If yours is clicking my guess is either the soloniod is bad, the battery is bad, or you have a dead spot on the starter.

These things can drive a guy to drink.............