05' M7 adjustable steering post

ac600sp

Is it possible to install the 09-11 adjustable height steering post on a 05' M7? I had this on my 09' xfire. The chasis are similar if not the same. Anybody have any experience with this conversation? Thanks for any info.

ezra

it will not just bolt in.
I put one in my 06xf same as your 05
I had to cut both and use the lower 2/3 from the 06 and the adjustable upper welded to it .
then U have to extend warmer wires and re rout other cables

ac600sp

Thanks Ezra. So did the post hold up good with the welding? Did you cut the post at a angle to get more welding and better bond?

ezra

Thanks Ezra. So did the post hold up good with the welding? Did you cut the post at a angle to get more welding and better bond?

I honestly do not fully remember. I do not weld brought parts to my guy .
I thought he welded together then welded some tab's/plates over weld I think been a few yrs.it held up to many roll overs I saw sled for sale on craigslist last yr still had adjustable post on it
don't know if they still exist but picks were posted

mezz

I put an 09 sno-pro adjustable steering post along with a set of 09 mountain bars on my 06 Crossfire before ezra did his. I had a good friend do it at his dealership. Welded an insert to the post attached lower end with weld & two plates over the welded seam as ezra described. I did not have to extend the hand warmer wire just a simple reroute of the throttle cable. In your case, you should not have to do any rerouting as the M was already routed differently than the XF. It is the best feature & would not have another sled without one. I did post pic's on this a long time ago, but the site has made some changes since then & I don't know that they are available anymore. If it's any consolation, I still have the sled, it has not caused any problems in the six years it's been installed.-Mezz

ac600sp

Mezz, do you have any pics from the install? Or how about any measurements that would help? Any info to help the process would be great!

mezz

Simply put, what you cut off of the present post is exactly what you will take off of the telescopic post & swap the ends. This will allow you to use the same mounting position & connecting tie rod. I don't recall right off the top of my head the exact length cut, but if I were to guess I would say it was 8 to 10" from the bottom. If I can, I will take a look at mine this afternoon. I have been looking for the pictures, so far no luck, I have one more sd card to check. I did post them here when I did it, but, the sites board has been upgraded since then & as such, they aren't here anymore. If you follow what ezra & I have described, you will have no problems. Just make sure when you tack the lower piece that you tack it in the proper position & the same length as the original, mark your work & take pic's as you go for reference later in the event you get interrupted.-Mezz

mezz

I checked my remaining sd card this week-end & no such luck. I don't know about the above mentioned method to say it would or would not work. I chose to cut & weld due to the uncertainty of the connecting rod being able to clear enough. I figured it was easier to swap the ends that way it all went back in the way it came out & no additional parts needed. I am not saying that is the only way, it's just the way I had it done. It's been 6 years since, so my recollection is not that sharp, all I do know, I don't regret doing this mod at all.-Mezz