05 Skidoo 600 HO Carb Boots

doofan1

Cleaned the carbs on my wifes GTX tonight and noticed one of the carb boots is coming apart.

Does any one know if just the boot can be replaced on this one or is it part of the reed? If I need to replace the entire assembly what do you recommend going with and why?

Thanks
Jamie

russholio

Jamie, I can't say for sure on your 600 HO, but on my SDI it was all one unit. I replaced mine with Boyesens simply because they're mostly aluminum. The only rubber part is the short boot that connects them to the air box. They weren't a whole lot more than going with OEM, so I figured I might as well.

Lots of people go with VForce, too. Although they had some delamination issues of their own, my understanding is that they've worked out the bugs and are very good about replacing defective boots. I don't have any personal experience with them.

In either case, don't expect any noticeable performance gains (not that you're looking for that).

Good luck!

Russ

russholio

Jamie, no carbs for me (SDI) so no rejetting. Plug and play. I don't remember if the instructions for the Boyesens said anything about rejetting -- when they start talking about carbs, I stop reading!

If I remember, the instructions did say something about changing the timing a bit (I wanna say 3 degrees) for optimal performance, but seeing as that would take a trip to the dealer and I'm not a high performance kind of guy anyhow, I opted not to bother.

mn_mxz

I'm pretty sure that you have to re-jet once you install the Boyesens. Go to dootalk.com and do a search on them, there are a lot of people that have used them. If you can't find answer there just call Boyesen, they were helpful when I spoke with them. I'm going to install them on my wife's 05 600HO once the stock boots are bad, I'm on set number 2 right now.

indy_500

I'm pretty sure that you have to re-jet once you install the Boyesens. Go to dootalk.com and do a search on them, there are a lot of people that have used them. If you can't find answer there just call Boyesen, they were helpful when I spoke with them. I'm going to install them on my wife's 05 600HO once the stock boots are bad, I'm on set number 2 right now.

you never HAVE to rejet, just a safe thing to do. If you ride on a really cold day, ya just gotta REALLY feather the flapper

doofan1

Russ

I did not think about the fact you have an SDI never need to rejet mybad on that I'm still old school thinking about carbs.

I did call Boysen I was told to lean it out 1 to 2 sizes. My gut feeling is that it will run fine. My wife's idea of going fast is 1/2 throttle. The only reason I'm looking at the Boysens is because I do not want to replace again if I don't have too plus they are more afforadable than the factory ones that failed. I bought the sled 2 years ago used so I do not know if these have been replaced or not once already. I've heard horror stories about carb boots failing and would like to be proactive on the replacement product not just throw parts at it if a better option is available.

Thanks for the responses

Think snow!!

indy_500

Russ

I did not think about the fact you have an SDI never need to rejet mybad on that I'm still old school thinking about carbs.

I did call Boysen I was told to lean it out 1 to 2 sizes. My gut feeling is that it will run fine. My wife's idea of going fast is 1/2 throttle. The only reason I'm looking at the Boysens is because I do not want to replace again if I don't have too plus they are more afforadable than the factory ones that failed. I bought the sled 2 years ago used so I do not know if these have been replaced or not once already. I've heard horror stories about carb boots failing and would like to be proactive on the replacement product not just throw parts at it if a better option is available.

Thanks for the responses

Think snow!!

jet leaner when putting on aftermarket reeds? you sure you don't mean richer?

mikes99ss

V-force reeds do not require jeting changes. I bought them for my 05 800 ski-doo just because it fixed the problem for good. Why would i replace the boot with the same stock part that has already proven itself to fail?

racerx

I'm thinking like INDY, if you lean it out you will have to be more careful on the REAL cold days. When you do lean things out, you have to ask the question what temp & altitude is that specific jetting for. I "may" be true you have to lean it our per the vendor specs, but get ALL the info first.

doofan1

When I asked Boysen they told me to go 1 or 2 sizes smaller on the main jet. I repeated the question. Seems backwards too me as well. I think I will leave it the jetting alone drive it and look at plug color.

I found the Boysens on Shade Tree for $247.00 a set seems like a good price. Also shade tree is offering a gift card for money spent on orders until the 27th of Nov.

I think thats the route I go.

Hopefully these will last

mikes99ss

Go with v-force reeds and boots and don't worry about the jettting. Just my opinion. Wife will never notice the perforance difference so why not use the producy that makes life the easiest for you.

vmax1994

Replacing boots

You can just replace the boots if you want. Both of the boots on my wife's sled needed to be replaced after just 1000 miles. The boots are about 60 bucks apiece.

longtrack

Use some Black Silicone adhesive and cover up any surface Cracks. Unless there all the way through Silicone Adhesive lasts longer than the original Rubber. I have done this with at least 10 Doos without a problem.

If you want to spend a bunch of extra Money go for it. A couple years ago all these Boots were backordered and we had to use Silicone and then never replaced the Boots. The Silicone works and if someone tells you it doesn't its because they never tried it.

snowbuff

Go with the Boysens. Better quality ( IMO ) than V-Force. All Billit and they last. After the stock ones melted in my '01 800, I installed Boysens. They were still in perfect condition when I sold it 7200 miles later. Not much of a performance difference, but a good, long lasting product.

The reason they recomend getting changes is because they pull and atomize (not spelled right) fuel better. There have double the petal surface, which pulls fule from the carbs easier and more efficiently.

mride460

Go with the Boysens. Better quality ( IMO ) than V-Force. All Billit and they last. After the stock ones melted in my '01 800, I installed Boysens. They were still in perfect condition when I sold it 7200 miles later. Not much of a performance difference, but a good, long lasting product.

The reason they recomend getting changes is because they pull and atomize (not spelled right) fuel better. There have double the petal surface, which pulls fule from the carbs easier and more efficiently.

2upyfkg.gif
X2. I have the same story on an 04 800HO after a rebuild due to the boots sucking air. Ran it over 6000 miles since and still running with the Boysens!!

doofan1

Ordered the Boysens from Shadetree last week. Back Ordered for a few days. Should be here soon.
Time will tell how they hold up

dab102999

Use some Black Silicone adhesive and cover up any surface Cracks. Unless there all the way through Silicone Adhesive lasts longer than the original Rubber. I have done this with at least 10 Doos without a problem.

If you want to spend a bunch of extra Money go for it. A couple years ago all these Boots were backordered and we had to use Silicone and then never replaced the Boots. The Silicone works and if someone tells you it doesn't its because they never tried it.

I have done this on one of my doos. Cracks were just starting to form but did not go thru. going on 5 years now and still no problem. I take them off every year when I do my pre-season to look them over. Not trying to stop you from spending your money but saved me some serious jack so far (mine are all one unit so the 60 boot is not an option)