06 Fusion Engine Seized

docs_88

I had my Fusion into a dealer for a pre-season tune up to get the carbs cleaned out and the shocks re-built. They found that the card intake boots were ripped so I had them replaced. 3/4's of a mile into my first ride after getting it back the engine seized up solid to the point where I couldn't pull the engine over. By the time I got my truck and trailer back to the sled the engine started again. I brought it to the same dealer and they checked compression and I had 105 in one and 110 on the clutch side cylinder. The clutch side plug was a little grayish/white. We started the sled again and it ran fine. The dealer claims that nothing that they did would have caused the engine to seize but I'm not so sure. I found a small puddle of 2 cycle oil under where the sled was sitting (nothing where the sled sat all summer). Looking for some advise. Could they have caused this? Once the engine seizes like that are the cylinders and pistons junk?

whitedust

Sometimes the old airs would get hot & tight & you knew shut it down & cool.....then AOK. If your engine froze up & then broke loose you either over heated or cold seized it. Not much you can do now. How fast were you going when it seized? I would beat it see if it holds up or not then take up with dealer again.

raceinsnow

If they put new carb boots on they might have removed some oil lines and forgot to put them back on.Or the damage could have been done before you took it there because of the carb boots.

docs_88

I was only going about 50 when it seized. When I got it to the dealer I took it around the block a few times and it ran fine. I would take it back and see if it holds up but would rather not be in the middle of nowhere and find out it won't.

docs_88

I'm not overly mechanically inclined but based on the fact that the only oil I found on my garage floor was the puddle where it was sitting since I got it back I can only assume that they forgot to put something back together correctly. Question is what is my best option, will I need to replace the pistons etc?

raceinsnow

If it seized up the more you run it the more damage you will do.At a minimum new pistons but if you keep running it they I would say rechrome the cylinders.

Last edited:

toolie

Was the oil on the ground after they had done the tune up? If so they may have forgotten to hook up a oil line to the carb and just sat there and drained. I just replace my carb boots this summer and the only way to do that is pull the carbs out. So they would have pulled the oil lines off. As far as any damage done to the cylinder walls. Good question. You will need to inspect. Good Luck.

docs_88

toolie-
Yes, I found the oil after they replaced the carb boots.

Anyone have a rough guess on how much new pistons would run??

whitedust

Not much you can do without tearing down. Run the thing real soon see what happens. If it blows now the dealer can't just shine you on he had his hands in there. Maybe spilt parts & labor bill with you but has to blow real soon or no leg to stand on.

docs_88

Its already back at the dealer. Brought it in as soon as it happened thinking that the clutch side piston was gone. They have been telling me that nothing they did could be the cause.

Duffy

My guess is the Dealer did nothing wrong. I have seen it more than once, a crank bearing is going bad. You have compresson on both sides really makes me think it's a crank bearing. Have it tore down to find the cause or it's really going to get exspensive.

G

G

Seldom do both boots go at the same time. One was probably shot so they put both on which was a good thing to do. As has been said the damage may have been done before they did this. Also the oil on the floor could have been what leaked out of the oil lines when they disconnected them to do the boots. If you have the kind of compression you say you do that rules out a stuck ring which will stop the engine dead for awhile. When you let things cool down things free up and you can start it again just as you did. But - those compression readings are OK. It could be crank bearings. They will also behave just the way you describe when they are shot. It needs to come apart. If it is crank bearings you were lucky to have not ruined the case. If you were going WOT instead of 50 it surely would have destroyed everything. You won't have any piece of mind until it all comes apart and they can see for sure what is going on.

whitedust

My guess is the Dealer did nothing wrong. I have seen it more than once, a crank bearing is going bad. You have compresson on both sides really makes me think it's a crank bearing. Have it tore down to find the cause or it's really going to get exspensive.

Well if it is a crank bearing you are done for sure & not anything the dealer did. If you think it is a crank bearing trade in ASAP with this dealer for a new sled while still running.....let him deal with the aftermath. My experince with crank bearings is frozen & done DOA. Repair a crank bearing too expensive might as well rebuild entire engine & your sled too old to do that.

docs_88

Thanks for the input. They are tearing into it now so we'll see what they have to say hopefully tomorrow. You're scaring me with the crank bearing theory. Whitedust is right, the sleds too old to put that kind of money into but a new one is just not in the budget right now.