07 Crossfire 1000 OVERHEATING

special_k

Wondering if others with this sled are noticing it running EXTREMELY hot. Last season while driving in low snow conditions I noticed the temp light would come on every so often. (REALLY QUICK). Had it out loading it this last weekend, drove it on the grass for less than 2 minutes, temp light came on, hotter than <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font>. Thoughts about this? I realize it's not meant to drive without snow, but seriously, 2 minutes before overheating? Let me know what you folks think. Thanks!

two_tone

It does not take long, I have a 2008 1000 Xfire and if it is not in snow the temp light comes on pretty quick.

dab102999

I noticed that with the attak I just bought. Made me wonder how these guys can make it thru the grass drags even having coolers with them.When i change my oil I am gunna check the coolant and add some water wetter. I added this in my truck and it took a good 10 deg off on my running temp when I did a bunch of upgrade to it.

ezra

I have a cooler in the trunk of the 1010 for summer racing.load it with ice for the ride to the line usually gone buy the time the light turns green.

blutooth

If I remember right the 07 crossfire has a small heat exchanger on it (Maybe the same one as the M series sleds). I think they were notorious for overheating. Not sure why it overheated so quick without snow - you usually get 10 minutes or so I would think.

Maybe since it has small coolers, it doesn't have as much coolant?

Blutooth

ezra

that was the early build 06 that had the small exchanger.it was the same as the 05M

sabercat

Thermostat? If it doesn't open you are running just on the coolant in the engine

Like others have said, check coolant, maybe add ice scratchers if its truely a small heat exchanger. Hard pak trails are brutal.

special_k

Great suggestions guys, I appreciate it. I really like the sled, and will probably add the ice scratchers regardless. I'll check into the thermostat. Frustrating thing is, there isn't really a fix if its truly the small exchanger right?

sabercat

Well you could swap out the exchanger for a late model. Thats the main difference between 07 and 08 (cooling system wise). I checked Ebay and found several heat exchangers but don't know what size you need.

I'd try ice scratchers first. Unless you want to swap it out to just do it and get it over with.

stealthv

A 2007 Crossfire has the big heat exchanger and is the same as a 2008.

Scratchers help and also going faster helps, to a point to fling more snow up on the cooler.

A flashing light does not mean it is overheating.

ezra

1 more time it is not the exchanger the early 06 700 had the small exchanger and the 03 f cat had the small coolant bottle.

sabercat

ezra kinda eluded to this, Start that monster up and check the running boards on both sides. If its hot on both sides shouldn't that tell ya the thermostat is opening and the water pump is properly circulating coolant? Especially if the light is coming on only after a few minutes.

If the engine is hot and the running boards are barely warm thermostat is not opening. But that is #12 on the list.

#1-Spark plug heat range too hot
#2-Coolant low or absent
#3-Intake flange to cylinder air leak
#8 Expansion chamber obstructed (Mouse build a nest in your exhaust?)

two_tone

I like Martys approach, when I have had the light flash is when idling in long gas pump lines and that kind of stuff. I try to keep it shut off when I can in those situations.