1-28-20 Tomahawk Trails UPDATE

Attak man

Slush....SLUSH on the lakes...it's pretty bad...it's gotten worse since my last report. Some of the slush areas are 50 yards long and 20 yards wide, and yes ...right next to the trail markers...I will not ride Mohawksin or Nokomis right now...it's spooky with the slush. I don't think the slush situation will get any better by the weekend as we are expecting temps in the 30s all the way through next tuesday.....it's a shame, because we have tons of snow, and the wooded trails are excellent right now...the lakes just aren't cooperating this year...nothing we can do unless we get cold weather. I don't want to scare anybody off...but it's not fun on ANY Lake in the northwoods right now.

The Hiawatha railroad grade was trashed every evening (really got sick of hearing about it from riders)...absolutely pounded friday through sunday...with heavy traffic, and warm temps, it's impossible to keep that trail smooth.

The only suggestion I have for those of you coming to ride is to stay off the railroad grade (if you can), and stay off the lakes...plan your routes accordingly...the wooded trails and away from towns are very good right now....but it is getting soft out there.

ACB

My brothers cabin is on the Spirit just west of County Rd O and the Spirit is all slush this past weekend. We are staying off the Spirit until we get colder weather.

Attak man

My brothers cabin is on the Spirit just west of County Rd O and the Spirit is all slush this past weekend. We are staying off the Spirit until we get colder weather.

The lakes were great last wednesday/thursday...just a bit of slush, here and there..by saturday into sunday they got REAL bad...gonna take alot of cold weather, and then it's gonna be rough, unless some we get some snow to fill it in

snobinge

Heading up Friday. Sure hope our lake is passable otherwise getting to the trail is no bueno! We are on Crescent. Any route suggestions to take a couple newbies around on Sat? Want to steer clear of the airport trail. Maybe south to Lk Alice area?

Attak man

I don't know Cresent Lake very well...can't give you advise on that...However...Yes, the lake alice area, harrison hills, and South of Tomahawk are VERY GOOD, and holding up well....no direct sun light the last 4 days. Even though it's been warmer lately..it's gotten cold at night (in the teens)...some of the slushy areas on lakes are freezing up, so the lakes are either rough or slushy in spots...The railroad grade took a beating last couple of weekends, it's decent right now...but the snow is a bit chewed up, and thin at road crossings (especially closer to town.).....Overall its really nice any direction you head from town...try stay away from high traffic areas, and you'll be fine.

If only the lakes were better(it can't always be perfect)...we have very good snow this year....so the riding can be very good if you plan your routes accordingly. watch for deer on the trails too.

snobinge

Thank you for the replies! I am not very familiar with the trail system. We have only had the place for a few winters and my passion is off-trail/Mtn riding. That said I enjoy taking out the cabin trail sleds with the family or introducing friends to the sport. We have two Rev GTX 2 ups and 2 XP sports with linq 2 up capability.