153 versus 146?

tomx

Just wondering how big of a difference there is between the 153 track and a 146 track regarding trail manners. Any opinions would be welcome and helpful thank you.

mezz

If your looking for a sled for both on & off trail use, IMO, the 146 is the way to go. The 153 will push more in the corners. As far as lug depth, the 153 will in all likelihood have a minimum of a 2" or 2 1/2" lug, personally, I would not go any less than a 2". -Mezz

buddah2

Actually mezz, the Sidewinder BT-X 153 I just bought comes standard with a 1.75 Backcountry track.....the 2.25 is a special edition or spring order option...it's a better option if you run much trail at all.....either that or 2 sets of ice scratchers.....FWIW

erkoehler

I have had the Ski Doo back country x 146 w/ 2" and it was trail worthy and a blast. However, I have also had the RMK 155 in a few forms and it is definitely lacking in trail manners. 2" lug would be about the largest I would go for any significant trailer riding, especially if you ride in areas away from the lake effect snow belts.

mezz

Actually mezz, the Sidewinder BT-X 153 I just bought comes standard with a 1.75 Backcountry track.....the 2.25 is a special edition or spring order option...it's a better option if you run much trail at all.....either that or 2 sets of ice scratchers.....FWIW
My reply wasn't intended to be brand specific, I was trying to give an objective opinion based on the length of the track as well as provide a little info on the OP's initial question. IMO a 1.75 is not an ideal track for deep snow but, that's just my experience. No harm no foul. Just my .02.-Mezz

147 trails just about like a 137; 155 trails just about like a 147. Just depends on who you're trail riding with.

I'm happy in a 147x2.5 trail riding with guys on 120 and 136x1.5 sleds, just a tad less happy riding off trail with guys on 155x3's.

sMgE46M

the fact you are considering trail riding means you dont need a 150"+ machine - sounds like your after the looks. Backcountry or something similar will do.

when you see a 1-2 year old mountain sled in the midwest with 3000 miles on it (paddles bent over to F) and wonder how the heck someone did that... this is why

Last edited:

slowsi00

Why the **** would anybody want a 150+ sled that rides in WI or the U.P? Even a 140+ is to long...

I would never have anything less that 144 and that's if I never left the trail.

144 with tipped up suspension rails like an Apex XTX or Assault 144 are make for sweet trail sleds. Even the SKS 146 has tipped up suspension rails for better on trail performance. The contact patch for trail riding is similar to a 129-136 flat track. The benefits of a bigger track greatly outweigh any drawbacks. Its all about sled setup. 144's can get down in the trails, can ride like its on rails, corner flat and keep up with any 121". But they when its washboard railroad bed on the way home and your beat down the 144 will get up and stay up on the whoops easier and you can rip them going 80+.

I had a short track apex and it was awesome... went to the 144 xtx and it was way more awesome. 7542 miles, stuck 0 times thanks to the 144 you can get through big snow with no issues. Even when it weighs 700lbs.

- - - Updated - - -

Just wondering how big of a difference there is between the 153 track and a 146 track regarding trail manners. Any opinions would be welcome and helpful thank you.

all the major players 146 have tipped up rails in the rear giving them a smaller contact patch on the trail. it will trail much better than a flat rail 153.

If you have more than 20ish miles of trail riding per day planned I would go with 146. You will be amazed at where a 146 2.25 track will get you.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Track length depends on what you plan on doing, i dont need my 155 running logging roads, but, once I get off the logging roads I sure do. Even then, depending what we are getting into, a 155 isnt enough for this 50 year old. not in the best shape BOONDOCKER!

ezra

no not at all . just saying a logging road and power is fun and any one with moderate skill can run them on a 121 136 etc .
but it is not boondocking it is just a trail that has not had a groomer run down it .
you get in the woods in the flats and not to thick with trees and brush again that 136 146 is fine .if you have mad skills you can even take those same sleds in to the tree filled hills . but the reality is I only know about 10 guys that can do that with out needing help getting unstuck all day. but that same by can run a 155 all day with 1/2 the sticks or less . just reality

I have rode 136 144 155 trying to get one sled to trail ride Wisconsin and off trail u.p. ended up with 2 separate snowmobiles. during my trials if I would choose just one sled and wanted to at least have a chance to keep up with fast buddies on trail ride and still have some fun off trail but don't mind not climbing the biggest hill or at least not succeeding I would pick the 144 2 inch paddle that I cut down to 1 3/4. reason for cutting it down was it was a Polaris 2.0 and on a somewhat hard trail lugs would bend over when accelerating and braking as those tracks come to a very bendable point at the tip and it was hard to control. cut the track and it was a rocket and stopped very well and was still fun offtrail. my 2 cents