16' Silverado HD 6.0

ac600sp

Anyone know of any good engine tuners that actually work and won't void the warranty and wreck things? Just looking to pep up the performance a little. The truck is pretty slow and could use a little help towing the enclosed sled trailer back and fourth to the Yoop. Thanks for any info.

mrbb

any tune you do will void the warranty, as the computer will hold memory to the tune change?
SO
your out of luck there to be honest
BUT that also comes down to the dealership and how closely they look at things
some are sticks in the mud and some tend to turn a blind eye as best they can
and I say that, as many times when certain things get warranty claimed, a outside person shows up to declare or refuse things and they will for sure if a truck is lifted or altered from OEM condition

mods are the things many company's HOPE you install, it saves them a lot of money on claims LOL
things that would help would be like gear changes, BUT back to altering from OEM build sheet and that will void warranty too, due to it alters the RPMS the trans and motor will run at!
again, alot comes down to how picky dealership will be IF something goes wrong and what it is that goes wrong, many times dealer has NO say in if its under warranty or not, and NO dealership is going to risk there business to help you HIDE things?

can always trade it in on a diesel , and that will 100%
make towing better for sure LOL
will get you better mpg's all over and get you more resale value down the road, but not a cheap option?

mods you can do that won't void a warranty will be cold air intake?, drop down to a smaller OD on tire? (which I doubt many would do, ??)
add a better flowing exhaust
but honestly, the gains here will be more in your HEAD than on any real HP making it to the ground!
big picture when you look at HP to LB ratio's
adding maybe 10+12 hp from a cold air intake, on a 6000 lb truck, isn;t making much really happen, minus the money you spend disappear ??
sorry just being honest!

ac600sp

I figured most tuning would void the warranty. Just thought I'd see if anyone had any info. My previous truck was a diesel. I don't drive it enough to spend the extra $10,000 to pay for the fuel and added expense. My problem is that the previous truck was a 05' diesel. I knew the power thing was gonna bug me. Oh, well.

mrbb

yeah I hear you, the price of new trucks today is a crime if you ask me?

I went from 7 gassers in a row to a diesel
just got fed up with the crapping towing and poor MPG's too boot ALL the time
I was averaging MAYBE 12 if I was lucky empty, and 7-9 when towing

all the hills here killed me even with light trailers!

A TIP I can offer and cannot say your results will be as good as mine

but when I used to run a lot of trips from PA to ND< or PS to SE ohio(lots of hills, 500 miles door to door)
I found buying a few bottles of Lucas octane booster, and would add to every tank of fuel on a trip, I would gain a little power and maybe 1-2 mpgs
Doubt the off set in costs to just buy more fuel
but got me a few extra miles before having to stop to fill up
and truck didn't red line as much going up same hills without it
I ran the same route with same trailer and load on it, for 15 yrs, 3-4 times a yr, so, I could see the difference with and without it added?
used to get a better price buying it in bulk, think it came 8 bottles to a case, or I forget, been 3-4 yrs since I bought any!

but that is something you can do I guess and see? and no worry's about voiding any warranty

old abe

The rear gear is always the most important component in any tow vehicle, gas, or diesel. You lose very little mpg, if any, when not towing so as to be concerned with.

eao

Diesel owners tend to exaggerate the mileage. No way he gets 20 mpg pulling a trailer.

old abe

The 3.5 Ford eco boost is a amazing tow engine period. I was a life long GM truck guy. GM engines not what the used to be.

indy_500

Diesel owners tend to exaggerate the mileage. No way he gets 20 mpg pulling a trailer.

Stock diesel with a stock tune and def system? I'd agree. Intake, exhaust, fully deleted with a tune can almost double the mileage. Makes that couple grand to delete a def system totally worth it.

mrbb

Stock diesel with a stock tune and def system? I'd agree. Intake, exhaust, fully deleted with a tune can almost double the mileage. Makes that couple grand to delete a def system totally worth it.
I don't know where you get your REAL world info from, but if you delete a NEW diesel, you toss your warranty, and that can cost you way more than a few grand if something goes wrong
and you do NOT double your MPG's
not even close, most get ZERO gains
add in its a federal LAW , that your NOT supposed to delete
and the costs can get higher IF push came to shove
def isn';t that costly, and trucks are rather reliable with all intact
ONLY real reason to delete a new diesel is IF down the road you run into issue's and its cheaper to remove parts than replace them!
if you doubled your MPG's the makers would be doing so, and finding other ways to comply!
its a BUNCH of BS you double your MPGs
I average 17, you telling me a deleted 8,000+ lb truck is getting 38 mpg's?? LOL dream on !

indy_500

I don't know where you get your REAL world info from, but if you delete a NEW diesel, you toss your warranty, and that can cost you way more than a few grand if something goes wrong
and you do NOT double your MPG's
not even close, most get ZERO gains
add in its a federal LAW , that your NOT supposed to delete
and the costs can get higher IF push came to shove
def isn';t that costly, and trucks are rather reliable with all intact
ONLY real reason to delete a new diesel is IF down the road you run into issue's and its cheaper to remove parts than replace them!
if you doubled your MPG's the makers would be doing so, and finding other ways to comply!
its a BUNCH of BS you double your MPGs
I average 17, you telling me a deleted 8,000+ lb truck is getting 38 mpg's?? LOL dream on !

Well first off you might want to double check your math because 17x2 is NOT 38. When i say double I maybe exaggerated a fuzz but still the writings on the wall. I know 2 brothers with identical 2 year old duramaxs. The stock one gets 11-13 and the tuned and deleted one gets 19-23. Sorry i hurt your feelings because you own a "stock diesel"

jebjk1

Who really cares *that* much about mileage? Gas or diesel is relatively inexpensive. Unless you drive a million miles a year, it really doesn't add up to much.

mrbb

Well first off you might want to double check your math because 17x2 is NOT 38. When i say double I maybe exaggerated a fuzz but still the writings on the wall. I know 2 brothers with identical 2 year old duramaxs. The stock one gets 11-13 and the tuned and deleted one gets 19-23. Sorry i hurt your feelings because you own a "stock diesel"
sorry that was a miss hit on my numbers, bad hands LOL
and SO< YOU don't own these trucks your riding on hear say from others that CLAIM these numbers
and what do they only drive down hill or on completely level ground?/
My feelings ain't hurt driving a NON deleted diesel
I own my truck paid off and very happy with the MPG's I get with a 8,000+ truck
have owned many trucks in my life time, and many long before DEF fluid was even a brain fart for someone in a truck
and none of them ever got 28 mpg's even with tunes and chips and programmers and ??
I live in the real world, I have hills every 5 miles, used to average 40,000+ miles a yr driving, so? I know what trucks get in MPG's in the rel world and Not in hear say, BS bragging!

mrbb

Who really cares *that* much about mileage? Gas or diesel is relatively inexpensive. Unless you drive a million miles a year, it really doesn't add up to much.
a big reason why some folks THINK about MPG's like it or not, is costs, and fuel stops grow old on long trips LOL
say you drive 25k a yr, 5 mpg difference can be about $ 1200- $ 1500 a yr, pending price per gallon!(say on a 3 buck a gallon number, which diesel is rather often here)

a guy like me that used to do almost twice that a yr, and spending an extra 3 k does gets noticed
its NOT a lot when you think how much a truck costs, but do it for 10 yrs and that can be like 30 k?
penny's do add up?
only live once, so enjoy what you can!