1990 Indy 650 summer restoration...

mikes99ss

So I figured it might be fun to start a thread about the progress and give periodic updates as to what I'm doing with the sled and my progress.

So far I've just been collecting parts and doing research.
. I now have a nice 1" track, new break lever, new track bearings, plenty of spark plugs, new slides, new airbox foam, 2" riser block, plastic skis, new shorty winshield,and Fox shock that I just had rebuilt and revalved for my big butt.
IMG_20160306_163749065_HDR-800x450.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Latley I've been researching studs and trying to figure out what I want to do with the tunnel. Some have said to paint it as it is. Some have said to put some of that grip stuff that comes on skateboards. I would like to strip and powdercoad the whole thing but $$$ IMG_20160425_193002563-640x360.jpg

skiroule

Powder coating is awesome but if it were my sled I would just paint it close to stock color (black). After all, the idea is to get it on the snow next winter. Touch-up is easy and cheap. I wouldn't mess with any traction paint treatment. I think it would look very non-stock and is not needed. For the most part, this is a sit-down and hang on sled.

For riding the old-timers I've figured out that my soft rubber sole boots (Lacrosse Ice Kings) are the best choice in footwear. They kind of go with the territory and are much easier on the running board paint. Three winters after restoration, the boards of my main vintage rider still don't need repainting.

I tried my hard rubber soled HMK boots on the TX once....bad idea. Not only are they harder on the paint but are major slippery without any grip features on the running board. Great for the mountain sled, not so much for a vintage machine.

mikes99ss

Wire wheeled the shocks tonight and even polished the rear track shock. Going to paint the front shocks black. Ordered studs and colored ski loops for the plastic skis I have (just going to use those on long trips) a good night of classic country music and garage time. IMG_20160429_194102-600x1067.jpg

mikes99ss

Haven't forgotten about this thread. Just busy with kids and playing with the boat. Did get the shocks rebuilt, revalved and repainted. I guess that's some progress

Last edited:

skiroule

Hey, at least you're doing something. I'm sure it will pick up in the fall.

Things are at a standstill for me but there's always hope for the future. I'm going out on a limb and proclaiming I will have a project sled thread next year.

G

G

You should probably plan on getting new springs for the front shocks. Check to see if they make stiffer ones than the old stockers. When we had these sleds bottoming out the front was common. If you bottom them out a lot sooner or later it will peel off the tunnel heat exchanger and shove it into your nicely studded track. We used to take John Deere cultivator springs and stick them up front. Problem solved.

mikes99ss

You should probably plan on getting new springs for the front shocks. Check to see if they make stiffer ones than the old stockers. When we had these sleds bottoming out the front was common. If you bottom them out a lot sooner or later it will peel off the tunnel heat exchanger and shove it into your nicely studded track. We used to take John Deere cultivator springs and stick them up front. Problem solved.

I've got rebuilt and revalved shocks from a 1992 xcr 440. :)

D

Deleted member 10829

Looks like it cleaned up very well! Good old elbow grease no doubt. :)

Turbo650

Lookn Good.
Currently have a '90 650SKS and a '96 Ultra Touring.
I just Love those old triples. Had them since 1983.

ws6formula

For the running boards, paint it and put some of that gritty non-slip tape on it. That's what I did to mine. Got them at Lowes. I used the original ones which were starting to become loose at one edge, made a pattern to cut the replacement ones. The replacements look better because they are black and not a dark grey like the originals.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-Building-Products-Stick-N-Step-Black-4-in-x-16-in/3015241

When you get done, take it out on the trails and you'll get people on brand new sleds staring at you. I get that with my restored looks-showroom-new '95 sled. The feeling's awesome! :cool:

Last edited:

mikes99ss

Well, I finally finished stripping the chassis. Now, it's off to the powder coater. Lots of work. Hope this thing turns out... IMG_20161127_142632678.jpg

kirk600

Well your doing it right Mike, based on your quality of work you have already posted the end result will look amazing!!!!!'mm