2-4-20 Tomahawk Trails Update

Attak man

I was out of town this weekend for our annual ride...we left friday, and the trails were amazing, all the way to sayner...from sayner through star lake, trails were pounded, snirty, sugar like snow (the moisture was pounded right out of it)SUPER HEAVY traffic with very large groups...as we headed further north the snow got deeper, and was better, except it was really rough from star lake to Lando, and up to watersmeet.

We had awesome riding in the U.P. with little traffic all weekend. (not much of a meltdown, and trails held up well)

We rode back to Tomahawk Monday, and found the trails had deteriorated BADLY in some spots (especially south of Lando)...Eagle River was ICY, Snirty, and rough, Three Lakes was the same. The snow on the trails was very hard, and icy, and we were burning slides in some spots. The Hodag trails were horrid...back breaking ROUGH, and Lake Thompson was nasty rough, and slushy...scared the crap outta me. Looks like the snow melted down and as the temps dropped monday it re froze....very crusty..Also try and avoid any trails that run the sides of roads as they were bare (not much snow for cooling, and burn your slides up)

So...Here's how it looks...the lakes are ALL awful...slush in spots, and frozen, rough slush and ice in others...I would avoid all lakes at this point. Wooded trails are very good but getting icy in the corners, so slow down.
The 17 trail deteriorated BADLY over the weekend...from Highway S, down to Irma...BE VERY CAREFUL as huge waterholes have opened in the swampy, wet areas...Basically any town in the northwoods had slush and snirty snow at all intersections...once you get further out away from towns it improves.

With the colder weather I am hoping some of the wet sloppy areas will improve, but with the heavy traffic and warm weather we really need some snow to freshen up the trails, and smooth out some of the rough areas on lakes.

jwmcatman

I was out of town this weekend for our annual ride...we left friday, and the trails were amazing, all the way to sayner...from sayner through star lake, trails were pounded, snirty, sugar like snow (the moisture was pounded right out of it)SUPER HEAVY traffic with very large groups...as we headed further north the snow got deeper, and was better, except it was really rough from star lake to Lando, and up to watersmeet.

We had awesome riding in the U.P. with little traffic all weekend. (not much of a meltdown, and trails held up well)

We rode back to Tomahawk Monday, and found the trails had deteriorated BADLY in some spots (especially south of Lando)...Eagle River was ICY, Snirty, and rough, Three Lakes was the same. The snow on the trails was very hard, and icy, and we were burning slides in some spots. The Hodag trails were horrid...back breaking ROUGH, and Lake Thompson was nasty rough, and slushy...scared the crap outta me. Looks like the snow melted down and as the temps dropped monday it re froze....very crusty..Also try and avoid any trails that run the sides of roads as they were bare (not much snow for cooling, and burn your slides up)

So...Here's how it looks...the lakes are ALL awful...slush in spots, and frozen, rough slush and ice in others...I would avoid all lakes at this point. Wooded trails are very good but getting icy in the corners, so slow down.
The 17 trail deteriorated BADLY over the weekend...from Highway S, down to Irma...BE VERY CAREFUL as huge waterholes have opened in the swampy, wet areas...Basically any town in the northwoods had slush and snirty snow at all intersections...once you get further out away from towns it improves.

With the colder weather I am hoping some of the wet sloppy areas will improve, but with the heavy traffic and warm weather we really need some snow to freshen up the trails, and smooth out some of the rough areas on lakes.

All true, i am on lake thompson and it is ruff, we lost the trail twice now crossing the lake from holiday acres so it does not get ridden and flattened down thus ruff ruff ruff. I wish they would run the trail from holiday to boat launch up lake thompson road to trail on hwy C, would think it would be easy, that would help holiday acres, judys, birchwood, fishers etc. back up with several different groups at house for two weeks on the 15 th, hoping for some snow!

vipermike2002

All true, i am on lake thompson and it is ruff, we lost the trail twice now crossing the lake from holiday acres so it does not get ridden and flattened down thus ruff ruff ruff. I wish they would run the trail from holiday to boat launch up lake thompson road to trail on hwy C, would think it would be easy, that would help holiday acres, judys, birchwood, fishers etc. back up with several different groups at house for two weeks on the 15 th, hoping for some snow!

I was riding last weekend and I want to say coming back to Rhinelander Saturday night the trails were in bad shape. We didn't ride on Sunday because it was so warm. A route across Lake Thompson would really take alot of traffic away from the city trail and that would benefit the system IMO. Where exactly is the boat launch? The trail was run through pinewood and up Lake Thompson Road a few seasons ago but my guess was lost because of loud sleds and people going off trail by the cemetery. The best route was when the trail ran to the east end of the lake, through the woods and north on Limberlost Road. I am going to ask about Lake Thompson at the meeting on Saturday.

- - - Updated - - -

Lake Thompson does not have a marked trail crossing it. Where are you crossing and why?

Attak man

I was riding last weekend and I want to say coming back to Rhinelander Saturday night the trails were in bad shape. We didn't ride on Sunday because it was so warm. A route across Lake Thompson would really take alot of traffic away from the city trail and that would benefit the system IMO. Where exactly is the boat launch? The trail was run through pinewood and up Lake Thompson Road a few seasons ago but my guess was lost because of loud sleds and people going off trail by the cemetery. The best route was when the trail ran to the east end of the lake, through the woods and north on Limberlost Road. I am going to ask about Lake Thompson at the meeting on Saturday.

- - - Updated - - -

Lake Thompson does not have a marked trail crossing it. Where are you crossing and why?

Sorry...not lake Thompson...Lake George, from Fishers across (my mistake)

Attak man

We are planning our trip for next year, and will be avoiding the Rhinelander area...5 times we've come back from Michigan that direction...5 times it's been horrid, and with the lakes so bad...it's even worse.

vipermike2002

Sorry...not lake Thompson...Lake George, from Fishers across (my mistake)

I was on Lake George Saturday night went from forsyths to fishers. I stayed close to the barrels. Some slush for sure but nothing crazy. I am going to guess you took the trail that runs down highway 8 over to the hotels at 8/47 to get back to Tamahawk?

Attak man

No...we took the oneida school forest trail to Harrison, and back to Tomahawk...my group decided NOT to cross the lake after I went

jwmcatman

No...we took the oneida school forest trail to Harrison, and back to Tomahawk...my group decided NOT to cross the lake after I went

The boat launch on lake thompson is a quick ride 1/4 to 1/2 mile out of holiday acres to the north. Then short ride to lake thompson road up north shore. Yes, noise at pinewood is what did that re route in. I ride lake thompson to hwy C often and no issues there. The plow even keeps snow on side for us sledders. The trail to the east was there for 40 years, maybe. Land sold, new owner not a sledder, closed trail I ride rhinelander very often and trails are mostly awesome with less traffic, this year due to some swamps they have been excellent to horrible, last trip mostly awesome. Attac man don't give up. Keep the faith its a nice system with great stops, and usually a little less traffic. Imo, sundays and Mondays have not been the best over the years though so I hear you.