2 Dead in Vilas Co... Thursday

SHOOT2KILL

Published: Feb. 2, 2023 at 3:36 PM CST|Updated: 3 hours ago

EAGLE RIVER, Wis. (WSAW) - The Vilas County Sheriff’s Department said two people have died as a result of a snowmobile crash.
Two snowmobiles crashed resulting in the deaths of a 78-year-old man and a 43-year-old man. The crash happened around noon on Thursday on Trail 70 in the town of Cloverland. That location is between St. Germain and Eagle River.
The crash remains under investigation. The circumstances of the crash have not yet been released.
Assisting with the investigation were the Vilas County Sheriff’s Office, Saint Germain Fire Department and Ambulance, Boulder Junction Ambulance, Plum Lake Fire Department, Vilas County Medical Examiner, and WI Department of Natural Resources.
This crash marks the eighth and ninth fatalities in Wisconsin this snowmobile season. Three other fatal crashes have also occurred in Vilas County in less than one month. Click here to view the DNR’s 2023 snowmobile crash statistics.
Copyright 2023 WSAW. All rights reserved.

pclark

RIP to both families, hate to hear this, we rode 780 miles this week and I was really glad to get home tonight before all the traffic started. We came through Mercer at around 5pm and it was really cranking up with sleds every where. It's 20 miles home from there for me and I felt really good when I turned onto our rode safe and sound. Ride safe this weekend everyone!

junior

I am in Mercer now. Heard about that yesterday. Head on crash. Yesterday we were on trail 6 out of Manitowish Waters. Narrow section of trial. I approached a tight right hand corner. Saw a headlight approach. I stopped before entering curve. 6 sleds came hauling around the curve. The middle four were all standing up and cut the inside corner. If I wouldn't have stopped I would have been clobbered. Going to stick to wide road routes as much as possible today

pclark

I am in Mercer now. Heard about that yesterday. Head on crash. Yesterday we were on trail 6 out of Manitowish Waters. Narrow section of trial. I approached a tight right hand corner. Saw a headlight approach. I stopped before entering curve. 6 sleds came hauling around the curve. The middle four were all standing up and cut the inside corner. If I wouldn't have stopped I would have been clobbered. Going to stick to wide road routes as much as possible today
Yes, to be honest with you I typically just pull over and let them come at me and get on down the trail. It's just safer to let them get by because you can't figure out their riding skills until they are on you. I do find that during the week riders seem to be older and pretty responsible in the corners, usually staying on their side of the trail but that's just my opinion.

racerx

Yes, to be honest with you I typically just pull over and let them come at me and get on down the trail. It's just safer to let them get by because you can't figure out their riding skills until they are on you. I do find that during the week riders seem to be older and pretty responsible in the corners, usually staying on their side of the trail but that's just my opinion.
I believe you are right about week riders as I had to go out last Friday to do some cleanup from a club event and met some couple and triples early and everyone was responsible out there but as noon approached we were on 13 just out of the lando section and between there and the 13/45, which is just a couple miles at best, there were no less than six large groups just hammering it where I had to let up in the corners and even on the straights, even one time I had to basically stop in a straight narrow section when a guy was drifting toward me as he was not letting up and it sure looked to me that we had less than two inches between skies which I happened to be glancing down at and was glad I basically stopped as I noticed I was on the edge of the trail which turned out to be a cut edge in the side of the trail (frozen earth not snow) enough where I figured would have bounced me towards the center of the trail if I tried to make room by going a ski width off trail. The other part is there were a number of rentals in those groups riding like they stole 'em. I totally get wanting to ride hard but there has to be a better mid point as the trails are two way and people of all skill levels should be able to have fun and not have so many encounters.

Last edited:

Wolfey

I pulled my family out of the sport as we were having too many close calls with people riding with no skill and/or no consideration for others. It became more stress and worry than fun.

We all miss the sport, but I’d miss my girls a whole lot more if something ever happened to one of them.

Condolences to all the families affected from these accidents.

picbn

Can’t believe how many times in the last couple years, sleds coming toward me right down the middle of the trail and not moving over. This is on straight sections of trail and of course they are signally me with one hand how many sleds are behind them. Keep ur hands on the handle bars and move the f*** over.

pclark

Can’t believe how many times in the last couple years, sleds coming toward me right down the middle of the trail and not moving over. This is on straight sections of trail and of course they are signally me with one hand how many sleds are behind them. Keep ur hands on the handle bars and move the f*** over.
I agree on the hand signals thing, most can't control their sled with one hand let alone two. It would be better if one group pulled over and waited for the other to proceed. I'm usually the guy that just stops and lets the oncoming group come through, I know some people won't agree with that but at least I make it home safe. I wear gloves sometimes that don't allow me to give an accurate hand signal of how many are in my group so what is the point, they probably think I'm a jerk for not signalling but if you just waited a minute they would be past and trail would clear.

rph130

I agree on the hand signals thing, most can't control their sled with one hand let alone two. It would be better if one group pulled over and waited for the other to proceed. I'm usually the guy that just stops and lets the oncoming group come through, I know some people won't agree with that but at least I make it home safe. I wear gloves sometimes that don't allow me to give an accurate hand signal of how many are in my group so what is the point, they probably think I'm a jerk for not signalling but if you just waited a minute they would be past and trail would clear.
Completely agree. I am also the one who pulls over and lets a group pass. Most of our rides are with a group of 4 or 5 sleds. I will usually lead and my son takes the rear. Every time I see headlights behind him I just pull over. Numerous times this season he was all bent out of shape because someone was up his rear trying to pass before I saw them and pulled over.

old abe

as
Completely agree. I am also the one who pulls over and lets a group pass. Most of our rides are with a group of 4 or 5 sleds. I will usually lead and my son takes the rear. Every time I see headlights behind him I just pull over. Numerous times this season he was all bent out of shape because someone was up his rear trying to pass before I saw them and pulled over.
As I try to remember this several years back, a family of 4 were riding south I believe below Calumet. Father in the lead, one child following ahead of another child, and wife, mother brought up the tail. The last child and mother had stopped on the side of the trail as sleds approached behind them. The sleds didn't slow down, and apparently due to the snow dust, no visabilty, the wife, mother was slammed from the rear, run over, and killed. LE shut the trail down as it was a very, very ugly scene. Just no respect for others what so ever! Perhaps mezz can relate?

pclark

RPH 130,

Same with me, we should meet sometime maybe on trail#6 30 Point tap, Retreat, Anglers in MW. Doesn't have to be this year but would like put a face with another JD poster and since we probably ride a lot of the same trails. I'm here all the time, correction, leaving for some warm weather 2/11-2/25, back the last full week in February.

mezz

as

As I try to remember this several years back, a family of 4 were riding south I believe below Calumet. Father in the lead, one child following ahead of another child, and wife, mother brought up the tail. The last child and mother had stopped on the side of the trail as sleds approached behind them. The sleds didn't slow down, and apparently due to the snow dust, no visabilty, the wife, mother was slammed from the rear, run over, and killed. LE shut the trail down as it was a very, very ugly scene. Just no respect for others what so ever! Perhaps mezz can relate?
I can definitely relate, been forced into the whips quite a few times by the careless negligent riders. I recall that particular accident, on a straight stretch of trail just passed the Gratiot Lake Road crossing. Issues like this & many others have been an ongoing issue & concern for years & unfortunately they will always exist. Some are just their own worst enemy & sadly, too many innocent people are suffering the loss of a loved one due to the carelessness of others. Accidents do happen, but, as we all have been witness to & read about all too often, so many of these incidences are avoidable. Always be aware & stay safe, the life you save may not only be your own.

old abe

I can definitely relate, been forced into the whips quite a few times by the careless negligent riders. I recall that particular accident, on a straight stretch of trail just passed the Gratiot Lake Road crossing. Issues like this & many others have been an ongoing issue & concern for years & unfortunately they will always exist. Some are just their own worst enemy & sadly, too many innocent people are suffering the loss of a loved one due to the carelessness of others. Accidents do happen, but, as we all have been witness to & read about all too often, so many of these incidences are avoidable. Always be aware & stay safe, the life you save may not only be your own.
The wife and I were struck very hard emotionally by that accident. The father, and one child weren't at the scene as it happened, and were overwhelmed as they returned. Just a terrible situation. Kathe and I couldn't help but wonder many times after what kind of mental trauma, and terror, that family has had to suffer through. So sad.

Last edited:

whitedust

Totally agree what I do too when leading just pull over usually behind a tree for protection let the Ricky’s race by. I do give hand signals if I can don’t if not safe timing. What cracks me up is bridge passing oncoming traffic. WHY??? I just pull over give them the bridge. Always can haul balls on grade when safe if desired after pass who cares just be safe and move on.

rph130

as

Awful, sad story old abe and something I have worried about since the late 80's when I brought my then fiancé, now wife up to northern Wisconsin for her first rides. When the kids came along, they were harnessed to us and that was another worry. When my daughter was big enough she sat in front of my wife and would fall asleep and her helmet would keep hitting the kill switch. Sad that we have to worry about so many other riders actions out there. When we group ride now, I find myself watching my mirrors and what is going on behind me as much as I do with what is coming at me.

rph130

RPH 130,

Same with me, we should meet sometime maybe on trail#6 30 Point tap, Retreat, Anglers in MW. Doesn't have to be this year but would like put a face with another JD poster and since we probably ride a lot of the same trails. I'm here all the time, correction, leaving for some warm weather 2/11-2/25, back the last full week in February.
pclark, I was thinking the same thing. We are heading back to PI from Chicago on the 12th and hopefully staying 2-3 weeks depending on the snow and trail conditions. I'm a little worried looking at forecast as I see you guys are going to be near 40 up there on Tuesday/Wednesday with sunshine and no foreseeable snow in the near future. You can contact me at rph130@aol.com and we can set something up. Looking forward to it.