2005 Polaris XC SP 700??

upbarleyboy

Hey All,

As I've always found the information on this site very useful, I am calling on the fine JD folks again.

I just picked up a lightly used 05' Polaris XC SP 700. Wasn't really looking for another sled, but the deal I got, I just couldn't pass it up. It only has 1100 miles on it, and is absolutely spotless. I also have a 99 XC SP 700 that has been a tremendous sled, and that kind of played into my decision to grab this sled (had extremely good luck with it). I love the Liberty motor--basically bullet proof (other than being awfully thirsty).

If any of you have the 05 XC SP 700--how do you like them? Pros/Cons. This machine also has the unleaded/premium option. Depending on where you set the key, you can run either reg.unleaded or premium. What is the reason for the option? What do you run in yours? I've run premium in everything I've owned, so I'm thinking that will continue to be the case, but would like a little info on that as well.

All input is greatly appreciated!! Happy Trails---

UPBarleyboy

treetrunk

I have an 02 XCSP and I love it. I run premium in mine as well but every now and then I haven't been able to get it, so I run regular and turn the key to the regular spot. What this does is changes your timeing in your sled to adjust for the different gases. At least thats what i've been told.

indy_500

your new sled has powervalves and about 20 more hp. she'll be a lot faster but, should get a tiny bit better gas mileage.

snowbuff

Have fun!! You should love it :D.

The Premium switch does adjust your timing for peek performance. You will want to turn it to reg. when running regular gas.

uncle_ed

I believe that the 99 you have is a strong runner and would be curious how the 2 compare on a side by side run. I think you will really enjoy the ride and handling of the edge chassie over the 99. Good luck and have fun!

Pizza Man

I have a 2005 XCSP 700 with M10, which I bought brand new pre-season so I could get the red/white color..
In 2008 I sold my wifes 500 Classic and give her my 700.
I then bought myself a 08 Yamaha Apex LTX.
My 700 has run flawless. I used reg most of the time with a key set to reg. Always gets 10-12 mpg.
Everything is stock except I put in V-Forces reeds.
You have a great sled.
As a side note, I bought the Apex for more performance and better mileage. All my riding buddies have them and they get great mileage compaired to my Poo.

KittyKatandUpNorthNewYears263-1.jpg

dolph

I have an 05 xc sp 700 also and am very happy with the sled. As indy said the gas mileage is not the best but i'll take the M-10 over anything else.I've only run premium gas in mine and keep the key set on the prem.spot. Have had several offers to but the sled if i ever decide to get ride of it. Enjoy and have a great season.

peter

I have a 04 xc 700 with over 5000 miles with no problems. My brothers buddy has 03 xc 700 with over 13000 miles motor is all original. Always run premium gas in them and clean power valves once a year.

getsome

FYI - when the speedo stops working on the Edge, check bearing and housing. Also check the bottom chain gear bolt regularly. Esp. if running studs in the track. Just a couple common problems in my tribe of POO riders. Nice sled for sure ! Have a great season.

Copy of IMG_0042.JPG

Had a 97 700 xc loved it no problems, sold it bought a 04 prox2 700 unbelievable the
difference in ride, did not think it was a strong as the 97, but the 04 had the exhaust valves.
The one thing I had happen with the 04, and I have read this before is the exhaust valve breaking off and droping in the cylinder, not a pretty site.
Replaced the cylinder an both valves, I guess the ditch banging takes its toll on the valves,
I don't know how too tell if there bad but after 3000-4000 miles I would replace them.
My thought any way!!

Think Snow!!!

pippy_b

I have a 2004 XCSP 700 with the M10 and like it as well. I rode it for 2 seasons and my wife has been riding it for the last 3. At 4900 miles last year, she had a power valve break and slam down into the cylinder. It wasn't a pretty site at all but what do you do. I did my first rebuild ever last spring and she seems to be doing great. I got 12 miles on it last Friday and so far so good! My wife is very happy that her sled was brought back to life!

upbarleyboy

Many thanks to all who replied. Every reply was favorable so that makes me feel pretty good. As I mentioned, my 99' has been bullet proof, so I was pretty confident this sled would be as solid (with the added benefits of a much better ride due to the M10 and reverse). Can't wait to give it a good shakedown run.

I hope everybody has a great holiday and a safe an enjoyable riding season.

LET IT SNOW!!

snow_monkey

Awesome sled. Gas consumption was a solid 12mph and oil use was very low. I had to do the power valves every 2500 to keep them nice and clean. That sled has a nice pull from a 45 roll. If you ride hard you may need to tighten up the suspension a little.

upbarleyboy

Polaris VES Gold Oil??????

One other question--as I mentioned before, this sled only has 1100 miles on it. All this sled has ever known is Polaris VES Gold oil. Thoughts on oil? I'll continue to run this if the general consenus is to stick with it. Talking to a few people, I've heard that the gold tends to gunk up the power valves quicker that some other brands. Based on experience, what are your thoughts? Suggestions on other brands? All input is appreciated.

Thanks Again!!

Dave_B

I had an '03 700 and had no problems with it except the drive shaft bearing went at about 2,800 miles which is pretty normal for those sleds. Once you hit 2,500 miles, get the parts and keep them handy.

I always ran the VES Gold oil in it and cleaned the power valves about every 500 miles.

My 700 always ran better with premium. With regular gas it still ran OK but, it ran like a champ with premium.

You'll love the sled! Have fun!

Dave

polarisrider1

One other question--as I mentioned before, this sled only has 1100 miles on it. All this sled has ever known is Polaris VES Gold oil. Thoughts on oil? I'll continue to run this if the general consenus is to stick with it. Talking to a few people, I've heard that the gold tends to gunk up the power valves quicker that some other brands. Based on experience, what are your thoughts? Suggestions on other brands? All input is appreciated.

Thanks Again!!

VES stands for Variable exhaust Valves. This is Polaris's version of oil for that sled. I prefer Amsoil Interceptor because I can go twice as long between valve cleaning, smells better, and less smoke with it over the VES oil. Plus an added bonus the Amsoil cost me less, but not a deciding factor. That is a good sled to have. Run the premium gas. I like Shell V-Power if I can find it, helps keep the engine clean. Food for thought: a premium fill verses a regular fill is about the price of a draft beer at happy hour, a buck or 2 more.

G

G

2005 was about the end of of the evolution of the XCSP. They were very good sleds. Especially the 7's and 5's. Aside from the exhaust valves that would drop from time to time. This happened a lot more on the 800's than any of the others. Oil is going to be a cost no matter what. If it was me I would just use the Pol VES. Burn premium when you can. It is such a short season what's another $50.00?

srt20

When we had edges, we tried Amsoil Interceptor and it gummed up the valves really fast. I know alot of people like it but thats just our experince.

I own a 08 700 IQ, and a 2010 Polaris 600, I only use Polaris blue oil in my stuff now. Its the cheap polaris oil. I put 2700 on my sled last year, and the valves werent bad. Not spotless, but not sticking either. Some people like sea and snow or others, I dont think you will burn down with any of them. I like the polaris oil smell personally.

I will agree with Polarisrider1 about Shell premium. That gas runs better in every engine I have. Trucks, sleds, atvs, lawnmowers. And it gives the best mpgs, for the fuels in my areas.

Run the blue, clean valves every 1,000 miles, and use Shell premium when you can.

My .02$