2007 Switchback Belt?

redrat75

I have a 2007 Polaris Switchback 600 CFI. I'm having a problem with the belt. I can only get 500 mile out of a belt. I have used the stock Polaris belt and the Dayco HPX belt. Both brands of belts let go between 500 to 600 miles. I have checked clutch alignment and that is good, checked motor mounts they are good, and the motor torque stop bolt and that is also good. This is my first long track sled so I'm not sure if 500 miles is normal for a belt or not for a long track sled. So I'm wondering if the SLP hot air elimination kit would help with belt life, or a clutch kit? Also let me know if I overlooking something else? I'm open to any options or opinions.

Thanks
Dave

g_eich

My cousin had an 06 that loved its belts. They had done everything you have looked at and all they could tell him was that he is a big guy and when carved (often) that it just put a twist on the sled and wore out the belts. Long story short he no longer has that sled. Hope this helps. One thing about it we had it down on how to change the belts in a hurry.

mjkaliszak

alignment has to be off . my 07 rmk has never lost a belt

I'm not a expert but I would have to agree , something is wrong. Here is my belt # from my sons sled 3211114. It is pricy but takes a beating,
Width ( in / cm ) 1.46 / 3.72
Side angle 26 deg
Circumference ( in / cm ) 45.20 / 114.8
Center distance ( in / cm ) 10.625 / 27
It is off a 08 600RR , they use the same belt on the 08 600 Racer.
You might have to do some troubleshooting, how are the clutch faces ?, of course alignment, is the belt blowing @ wfo, do you have kids and do they ride it ? , have you towed with it, are the clutches working correctly, you might have to drive with the hood off to see. Is the belt failing from heat, excess belt dust, glazed edges , cracked edges looking like degraded rubber ect... another killer is accidentally having ther brake on or taking off in the morning with the track froze to the ground. Just trying to be helpful , I know some of this sounds stupid but my experience has been that you get 1 shot with belts. you have to be constantly vigilant to promote the belts life. 500 miles doesn't sound right. Please don't take offense to my comments, it is intended to help.

redrat75

On offense taken. Just looking for help with this problem. I have never towed with the sled and my kids are to little to ride by them selves. I do take them for easy rides with me, on the trail but not long trips and no full throttle pulls I never set the parking brake and always break the track from the ground when I do over night trips. I wash the belts with dish soap before taking them on a trip and take it easy for the first 50 mile when I put the belts on. The belt have always broke when I'm at mid range and then pin the throttle and then it snaps but it's always around 500 miles on the belts. On the broken belt the sides are slightly glazed and the belts have several cracks going down to the belt cords. The clutch faces are good and the alignment is good. The only thing I have not done is take the clutches apart and inspect them. Is there a chance that a worn bushing inside the clutch could cause this. the sled only has 2,500 miles on it. I would like to get it fixed because I can't take this sled on a trip unless I have 3 belts. Is there an easy way to tell if the belt is getting to hot with out running with the hood off? There is some belt dust in the compartment but I'm not sure if that happens when the belt lets go or if it was there before the belt let go.
I'm thinking of putting a SLP hot air elimination kit on but I'm not sure if that would help with this problem. If it dose make a difference then I will put the kit on the sled.

Thank You
Dave

indy_500

Try taking a wire brush to the sides of the belt and wash it in dishsoap before you put it on. Alignment seems messed up though, might want to check belt deflection. And i've heard good things about the belt Mjkaliszak is recommended, i believe a lot of fellow jd'ers use it.

mjkaliszak

On Offense Taken ? ? ( Just trying to help ) I have had all those things happen to me. Some more than once and some courtesy of my kids several times. ( IMO )your problem could be a cumulative issue ? I was thinking of running with the hood off as a suggestion to see how the clutches are working " under load ". Might be different than running it jacked with no load if some thing is broke or bound ??? Heat will cause cracks, constant boondocking will cause heat . How about a broke motor mount ? Having your track " banjo tight " will cause excess load & heat. If the belt compound starts to degrade due to heat and or not enough cooling / venting I would think that many " serious boondockers" would have had the same issue. I would have expected Polaris not SLP to come up with a remedy -vent kit . Kind of what BRP has for doo's. 3 belts a trip I would be flipping out. There are a bunch of members here that go out west and love Polaris's... Maybe they can chime in. There is also a " Snowestonline Forum " and an " All Polaris " forum that you could check or do a search regarding this.

elf

I ran an 06 600 switchback for 6000 miles on one belt so I would guess you got something going wrong with alignment.

booondocker

If you want the belt issue to go away, pull the gears and chain, and reconfigure the ratio. This sled was geared way too high for a boondocker sled, and once you drop the load down a bit, the belts live much longer. Do you smell belt regularly? The engine compartment is also starving for fresh air, so the vent kit will improve that as well.

You should be using the kevlar belt for this sled, too.

redrat75

What gearing do you recomend for this sled? I think I'm going to buy the clutch aligenmet tool and check it my self. I had two different dealers check the clutch aligement and both of them said it was good. I'm just not sure if I trust them any more.

booondocker

What gearing do you recomend for this sled?

I geared down to 2:1 ratio or as close as I could get....end of belt eating issues and I don't smell belt burning anymore no matter what I am doing and I don't have the engine compartment vent kit.

Your gearing depends upon what you are doing with the sled, but Polaris geared that sled incorrectly right out of the box.

Go to: www.polarisfiles, and find the area over there that deals with your sled. Great technical site with some major mechanics will step you thru your issues and find some solutions instead of guessing.

Post back when you find the problems solved.

Hoosier

Let us know what you think out. I have an 06 Fusion 600 that eats belts also. Can't seem to figure it out and have had two Polaris dealerships look at it also. This year at the Milk snow show I bought a Carlisle belt with a 1 year warrantee. Can't stand to keep buying the Poo belts. I don't know an aftermarket belt will help, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

snowdance

My 06 Switchback 600 HO has had its share of belt issues also, that I'm not sure if it has been taken care of yet. It seems to want to burn a belt when you get stuck in the deep stuff and are switching from forward to reverse or vice versa. I have had alignment and defection, etc... all checked. I'll find out if the problem still exist once the snow flys.

redrat75

Here is what I found out so far. Stop bolt is set at .020" that is good. Secondary clutch has .075" of total float just out of the Polaris specification. I checked the primary to secondary center to center distance it is at 11.750", that .250" to long. I order the clutch alignment tool, from the dealership that checked the alignment. When it arrived it was the wrong alignment tool and the parts person talked to the mechanic and said that is the one I needed. I did not buy it even though they said that is the only clutch alignment tool they could get! I had him look up the Polaris alignment tool P/N, out of the Polaris service manual and he told me that # dose not exist! So if all they can get is the wrong tool HOW DID THEY CHECK THE ALIGNMENT? So I called a different Polaris dealer and they ordered the correct tool, there was three different alignment tools and it depended on the belt width to get the correct tool! Just go to show better off doing my self then having a dealer do the work! So I'm sure I will find the alignment out when I get the tool. I will post the final results!!

Last edited:

rp7x

center to center

.250 x 2 makes the belt 1/2 " to short. you will have your work cut out for you

redrat75

Well I picked up the clutch alignment tool yesterday. It is well with in specification. It is only out by .020" on the back side of the secondary. So it looks like I have to shim the motor to get the correct shaft center to center distance. I'm not sure if the center to center distance being to long could cause the belt to break but I have some time so I will make sure to bring that to 11.5". I will also tear the clutches down and inspect them to see if I can find anything wrong with them.

kraven700

Well I picked up the clutch alignment tool yesterday. It is well with in specification. It is only out by .020" on the back side of the secondary. So it looks like I have to shim the motor to get the correct shaft center to center distance. I'm not sure if the center to center distance being to long could cause the belt to break but I have some time so I will make sure to bring that to 11.5". I will also tear the clutches down and inspect them to see if I can find anything wrong with them.

Which tool do you have?

The POLARIS/SPX tool has already approx .075" of "kick" built into it already.

The SLP tool is "straight"

I have a 2007 DRAGON 700

In order to straighten it out, you can NOT shim it like the edges

The only way to correct it is too slot the engine bracket holes (directly under the engine)

I have a thread posted at the top of the IQ section on www.hardcoresledder.com with pix

TECH TIPS FOR 600/700/800 CFI's and BEST BANG for the BUCK:

BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK MOD

Get a $25.00 annual subscription from DYNOTECH www.dynotechresearch.com

PC-5 from DYNOTECH Jim, best $365.00 you'll spend, (585) 993-2777 (www.dynotechresearch.com) Add the AUTO-TUNE option for $250.00 more.

96 or More studs, traction is where it's at, all the power/clutching in the world is useless if you're not coupled to the ground.

almost FREE MODS

PRIMARY CLUTCH:

1) Check your belt to primary sheave side clearance, should be .010" to .015" w/NEW belt, mine was .070" from the factory.

2) Install a new primary clutch spring @ the start of every season. (approx $31.00)

SECONDARYY

1) Install (1) DELRIN washer under the spring cup in your secondary clutch (less than $5.00)

2) Install a new secondary clutch spring @ the beginning of every season. (approx $25.00)

BOTH PRIMARY & SECONDARY

1) Align your clutches (center to center 11.5" exactly, and check for engine "crooked", picture posted below of how the alignment tool SHOULD contact the front and rear of the secondary) Check this with the SLP or TEAM tool, as the Genuine GOLD Plated POLARIS tool has approx .070" of built in "kick'
A) WITH SLP PUSH LIMITER: 0 to .020" air gap @ the rear of the secondary
B) WITHOUT SLP push limiter: .020" to .040" air gap @ the rear of the secondary
You may have to slot the engine bracket(s) to case engine case holes get it perfect. These are the holes located directly BELOW the engine itself. On mine & my bud's 07 D7 we had to slot the Mag side engine bracket almost 3/8" to "straighten" things out. Picture of the Mag side slotted engine bracket posted below, do this step ONLY if necessary. DO NOT SLOT THE ENGINE TO RUBBER MOTOR MOUNT HOLES. Double check your c/c measurement after you get the engine "straight" and then slot both engine brackets an equal amount (if necessary) to obtain 11.5" center to center exactly.

2) Check and adjust clutch offset, do this AFTER the above has been completed. This is E-Z, just adjust shims on the secondary shaft until the secondary touches the alignment bar. You want approx .030" of free play as well.

3) Lightly sand both primary and secondary clutches w/180 grit perpendicular to the way the belt rides and wipe down w/lacquer thinner.

4) Mark the Primary clutch sheave with a fat black marker, and make a few full throttle 1/4 mile runs and see how high the belt rides up, see pic posted below.

5) Wash/scrub (plastic bristle brush) your BRAND NEW belt w/soap & hot water, and let dry overnight, sounds weird, but it removes the "mold release" compound that would otherwise would get smeared all over your nice clean clutches.

T.P.S. CHECKING & RE-SETTING PROCEDURE (easier than you think, don't just trust the dealer to "check" this with the Digital Wrench)

Check/reset your T.P.S. Pretty E-Z to do, build a tester for $10. Don't overlook this! Log onto SnoWest, IQ section @ the top, there's a "sticky" INCREASING YOUR IQ. All the info is there. Then go to the Polaris 900 section, there's a video that walks you through the process. Two things to keep in mind, the CFI's T.P.S. get set WITH THE THROTTLE BLADES FULLY CLOSED!! Set it @ .70 volts +/- .01 for the 600/700/800 C.F.I.) After that, then open the idle speed screw to the specified setting (.94 -.95 volts +/- .01 but this varies with model). Most dealers/digital wrench don't do this. Then, using an old style analog voltmeter, open and close the throttle gradually, the needle should move SMOOOOOTHLY, an erratic reading indicates a faulty T.P.S. sensor and must be replaced.

For those that don't want to build a T.P.S. tester, I just purchased a T.P.S. tester (manufactured by KENT-MOORE / SPX) from my local POLARIS dealer for $48.76
PART # 2201519-A. Comes with the pigtail, 2 plug ends, 5 volt regulator, harness. All you need then is a 9-volt battery and a voltmeter. Even with this set-up you need to verify 5.00 volts EXACTLY before starting to test the T.P.S. Works on sleds, ATV's & Rangers

OTHER: OIL PUMP CALIBRATION, CHAIN TENSION, TRACK TENSION, ENGINE LIMITER, OTHER PERFORMANCE TIPS, & MAINTENANCE:

1) Check your oil pump calibration , mine was 38:1 (that's a little more than 1 quart of oil per 10 gallons fuel) stock, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns on the adjuster jam nuts and it's @ 57:1 now (22 TO 23 OUNCES OF OIL PER 10 GALLONS OF GAS) for the last 1200+ miles, marks are suppose to align @ 3:00 position as a starting point. RED dot on the case has a short horizontal mark on it as does the oil pump arm. See picture posted below.

2) Check your chain tension in the chain-case, adjust it to where the chain will almost touch the backside of the case w/finger pressure. While you're in the chain-case place a metal straight edge onto the sprockets to make sure they're EXACTLY in line. Shim with thin 1" I.D. shims available from automotive cylinder head shops, used as valve spring shims. Same shims also fit onto the secondary shaft for getting the offset "dialed in"

3) Run your track looser that stock Polaris specs, approx 1" to 1 1/2" sag just sitting there on the stand.

4) Install a SLP "push arm" engine limiter on the MAG side, approx $40.00, 20 minute installation SLP part # 23-63, picture posted below.

5) Place a small piece of duct tape over your headlight adjuster knob, prevents, water, snow, ice from being ingested into your engine.

6) Remove the air-box and wipe the seam area down with lacquer thinner and duct tape the seam, prevents Kevlar belt dust from being ingested into your engine

7) Plug the exhaust purge hoses coming off the exhaust valves, this makes it like the 2001-2005 set-ups and definitely improves acceleration

8) Install a simple 1/4" shutoff (available @ hardware stores) onto the P.T.O. head where the coolant line heats up the throttle bodies, this comes stock on 2007 Ski-Doo 800's and other models

9) Clean your exhaust valves AND bores, their dirtier and gummier than you think. While you're there check the bellows for small rips and tears.

10) Check your black rubber throttle body adapters because they have a habit of de-laminating/cracking causing air leaks and burn downs. Polaris has since changed part#'s to a "new improved" version

SKI's

1) Check ski alignment, 1/8" toe out is preferred

2) Check out www.bergstromskis.com Very informative site, especially the info on shimming the stock skis to eliminate the "darting" issue instead of purchasing a $350.00 pair of skis

DEBATE-ABLE

SLP Big Air Kit and Flo-Rites, ($42.95 + (4) X $19.95= approx $122.00) E-Z to install , I just didn't notice any difference that's all.

WASTE OF $$$$$ I.M.O.

1) V-Force reeds, NO noticeable improvement, V-force's were definitely NOT worth the $258.00 and a lot of installation time!! In addition, several V-Force users have reported failures after just one season as the CFI sleds run "drier" than carbed sleds/

2) Aftermarket silencers. Even with the weight reduction, acceleration is slower. And for those of you who think it's "cool", consider this next time you come across a "closed trail" sign. LOUD exhaust closes trails, period.

3) Boost bottles (Carbed 600 IQ's)

4) 8" rear wheel kits

HOPE THIS HELPS!!

Attachments

• FILE BRKT.jpg
    FILE BRKT.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 24
  • CLUTCH TOOLS (4).jpg
    CLUTCH TOOLS (4).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 22
  • OIL PUMP.jpg
    OIL PUMP.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

gedertr

Everything must be in alignment and spaced correctly. However, I found that my belts were just getting too hot (06 fusion 600ho). The slp vent in the bellypan did wonders to my belt life. Then I changed to the 3211122 belt (not quite as expensive as the 3211115), but better than stock and I don't see any belt issues anymore.
Kraven - thanks for the wealth of information. What is the best way to clean the exhaust valve bore down into the cylinder? I blasted everything else away with brake cleaner up underneath the bellows (what a mess). But I didn't want to blast that crap into my motor, so how do you clean that small bore down into the cylinder?

redrat75

Kraven700

Thanks for the information. My .020" gap at the back side of the secondary using the Team alignment tool. So the bigest thing is to get my center to center distance adjusted. I found if I take a .060" of a shim and place it under the left hand FWD engine mount I can get the .020" gap out from the clutch aligement and then I moved the motor back to get the 11.5" center to center distance. Mine is not that far out to the point of slotting the engine mounts. I did find out that both rear motor mount nuts were not torqued down to 28 lb.ft. I appricate all the extras you have shaired and I will make sure to check those items out.