2012 Ski Doo with 136" vs. 2012 Yamaha Vector GT LTX

saarib

Looking at a new sled and debating between a 2012 ski doo or newer or a 2012 or newer Yamaha Vector GT LTX. I want the 136" track, but my biggest concern is the weight of the Yamaha. I ride a mix of trips with just the guys and also family. I currently have a 2009 Yamaha Venture GT and love the reliability, and a 2005 AC Sabercat 600. Am looking to replace the AC for a sled to have for guys trips and to be able to take the kids. Just looking for thoughts from anyone? My concern with the weight of the Yamaha is that I weight 150 lbs soaking wet and it will primarily be my wife's sled when riding together or with the kids.

anonomoose

You have left some of us scratching our heads on the limited info to make a judgement on this one.

Guy trips and family trips is not enough information.

If you want a 136, I am going to assume you do at least some off trail and if so the combo of you and the sled being lighter is an advantage score one for the skidoodle....if you stay on trail 95% of the time, then the race tightens a bit except for the skid under the doodle will ride better than the yammer....but for reliability and longevity the 4 stroke will be a better longer term investment.

Now you decide what is missing??

tundra ron

Pick the Vector hands down better long lasting sled. The Ski Doo will be wore out after 4 yrs. I ride 3000 miles a year two strokes are not for me. That Vector is not broke in till 3500 miles.

meathead

Looking at a new sled and debating between a 2012 ski doo or newer or a 2012 or newer Yamaha Vector GT LTX. I want the 136" track, but my biggest concern is the weight of the Yamaha. I ride a mix of trips with just the guys and also family. I currently have a 2009 Yamaha Venture GT and love the reliability, and a 2005 AC Sabercat 600. Am looking to replace the AC for a sled to have for guys trips and to be able to take the kids. Just looking for thoughts from anyone? My concern with the weight of the Yamaha is that I weight 150 lbs soaking wet and it will primarily be my wife's sled when riding together or with the kids.
SAARIB,
Altho I am pretty much in the same dilemma,I am thinking the DOO, lighter ,and I do like the ability to off trail at times. But ? #2 is what are you doing with your Cat? My 05 sabre has 14500 mi and I just might keep it as a ditcht banger in Illinois or sell ..MEATHEAD

Ricardo

Doo makes two four stroke Renegades, the 1200 at 135hp and 15mpg and the 900 at 90+hp and 19mpg. Both will last just as long as the Yamaha and both are lighter; the 900 MUCH lighter. Tough choice, all three are very nice trail sleds, could depend on the dealer.

dfattack

What does your weight have to do with the decision? I'm confused why you wanted us to know that...

also..." Am looking to replace the AC for a sled to have for guys trips and to be able to take the kids." does that mean you want to take the kids on the same sled as the one you use for your guys trips? Why not just take them on the Venture?

Anyways...I'm sure you will be happy with either brand machine with a 136" track. I have owned a 2010 Vector LTX GT as well as 2009 doo. You didn't mention which motor for the doo... 4 stroke or 2 stroke?

I am primarily a Yamaha owner. I currently have 2 Apex XTX's and a 2013 Venture GT. I love all of them for MANY reasons but something I'm sure your wife will appreciate is the power steering. ANYONE I have spoken to after experiencing the power steering is they don't want to go back to riding without it. I've never heard comments from off-trail guys regarding power steering so I can't comment on what they like. Riding trails gets much easier with power steering with the heavier sleds. the sleds weight matters less with power steering. The only time a sleds weight matters to me is if you get stuck...then it stinks. If you are a trail rider weight shouldn't matter to you in order to make a decision.

I hope this helps you decide.

meathead

Doo makes two four stroke Renegades, the 1200 at 135hp and 15mpg and the 900 at 90+hp and 19mpg. Both will last just as long as the Yamaha and both are lighter; the 900 MUCH lighter. Tough choice, all three are very nice trail sleds, could depend on the dealer.
Ricardo,
X2 on your call of the DOO`s but now you bring up the whole DEALER issue and most all of us said (in our head ) oh sure that's a no brainer.PAT`S YAMAHA DEALER of the U.P. But no disrespect to any other dealer or brand.If Lenney can get off his ride long `nuff to agree.LOL MEATHEAD

saarib

dfattack, I mentioned my weight because I don't have the weight to muscle around a 570 lbs sled vs a little over 500 lbs sled. I guess that's why I was asking to see if that 70 lbs really made a difference or not? For the ski doo I would consider either engine (600 etec or the 1200). As far as getting rid of the AC and getting a sled for guys trips and to take the kids, I currently use both sleds I have to ride with the whole family. I have 3 kids, so I take 2 on the Venture and my wife takes 1 on the Sabercat. So I would be using the new sled for both guys trips and going with the family.

whitedust

Vector hands down. Weight is not an issue on the trail, plus power steering.

With eps you won't be getting that sled back from wifey. Your weight has nothing to do with Vector LTX with eps handles as light as a feather. Pat's had a couple of nice Vector LTXs for demo rides go see for yourself but be warned you will hate your current ride after demo on eps.lol

L

lenny

I think it depends on the type of riding you do. The weight will be a no issue unless you are man handling your sled by aggressive riding. The doo will have a better seating position and ride higher up. The Yamaha will probably feel smother and seating position I think is better on the Doo. My good buddy Old man dave has a nice 12 Gade and wow is that a nice ride and I have riden all the new Yamaha's. If you ride primarly ride trail with family you cannot go wrong with either and my pick would be the Yamaha because their motors are incredible and the GT models have smoothest rides of all Yams. The doo's are fine machines and if you are considering the doo 4s than that's a real tough call because the seating, riding position is super nice. If you are thinking 2s compared to 4s,,, 4s all day

ezra

I currently use both sleds I have to ride with the whole family. I have 3 kids, so I take 2 on the Venture and my wife takes 1 on the Sabercat. So I would be using the new sled for both guys trips and going with the family.
so why not get a e tech grand touring? it is more or less a renegade with wind protection and a plush removable seat really sounds like a no brainier to me.
my bud just got one and it is sweet. from what I have seen the grand touring really hold value.

but yeah take care of that cat lay down twin and it is good for a solid 20k mi

ezra

on the non base model it pops off in just a few seconds then has a quick plug for wiring. really is a sweet sled.
the base grand touring is offered with the old carb 600 and the turd 4st 600 and they do not have a removable back seat.
the e tech and 1200 are in the higher end grand touring along with the better shocks removable seat 2 power ports.
I think he spent 10g with tax cover and a gal of oil for the e tech.
pm me if u want I will pass u his number. I know from tue night to wend late evening he will be sitting next to me in the truck on our way to WY he will have plenty of time to chat on the phone about the sled if u need details . BTW he and she love it way more than the 13indy 600 sp they traded in for it

Last edited:

saarib

Ezra, I did not know that the back passenger seat came off of the non base models. Like you said, this might be a no brainer. Thanks.

groomerdriver

2S and durability is an oxymoron when there's a 4S in the picture, especially with an oil sipper like an etech. If you want a sled you can run for 10-20,000 miles then get a 4S. There's Vector's out there with 35,000 miles on them and still running strong. 15K on mine.

L

lenny

2S and durability is an oxymoron when there's a 4S in the picture, especially with an oil sipper like an etech. If you want a sled you can run for 10-20,000 miles then get a 4S. There's Vector's out there with 35,000 miles on them and still running strong. 15K on mine.

heck yea, especially when you are riding trail with family. There really is no logic if the agressive element is missing from the mix. A 4s does the same job so much easier and the bottom end grunt is a hoot. No need for a complicated sealed bearing crank when you can have dedicated oiling system. Some 2 s will last with extreme maintenance but the 4s does not care, gas and go

ezra

there are plenty on 2st with 15 to 20k on them

dab102999

I am not a brand loyal person. Have owned everything cept a poo. I bought an attak a few years back (have three other doos) I believe either would be a good choice but even with the 1200 doo I my next slld would be real hardpressed to go anyway but yammy in the future purchase. Yes it is heavyer. But I believe an overall better built sled. Weight means strength and if not off trail I wouldnt even think about it. Plus with eps it makes it even better. I have rode one with eps and you definately dont feel the weight. Also if I am correct even the 1200 recomends to run premium gas where with the yammy I believe you can still run reg.

buddah2

Not to pick nits or anything but I haven't seen anyone else mention this yet.......I thought all the Renegades were 137x16" tracks, and have been for several model years, if that has anything to do with your decision?