2012 Ski Doo with 136" vs. 2012 Yamaha Vector GT LTX

ss440

Depends on your riding style, these two sleds couldn't be more different. The Renegade is the most capable non-mountainsled in stock form for offtrail riding. The Vector probably could be the best high mileage groomed sled ever. The Renegade does everything well(offtrail, ditchbanging, aggressive trail riding). The Vector does one thing well. The Vector will last for ever the gade wont. What kind of rider are you is the question. A better comparison for the gade would be XF or switch. I'm sure whitedust will jump all over this

whitedust

Depends on your riding style, these two sleds couldn't be more different. The Renegade is the most capable non-mountainsled in stock form for offtrail riding. The Vector probably could be the best high mileage groomed sled ever. The Renegade does everything well(offtrail, ditchbanging, aggressive trail riding). The Vector does one thing well. The Vector will last for ever the gade wont. What kind of rider are you is the question. A better comparison for the gade would be XF or switch. I'm sure whitedust will jump all over this
Already said what I had to say both excellent sleds more of a personal preference & if me I would test ride both then make choice.:)

ezra

. The Renegade is the most capable non-mountainsled in stock form for offtrail riding.
umm I think that is a highly debatable statement. some would say the hardest to lay over and keep it there in the 2st crossover segment.
but deff great performer on trail and fire/ logging roads

attack_06

I would test ride a viper does not have power steer but feels very light rear end is way lighter and motor pretty much the same as vector riding position is much easier on the body

L

lenny

umm I think that is a highly debatable statement. some would say the hardest to lay over and keep it there in the 2st crossover segment.
but deff great performer on trail and fire/ logging roads
agreed but keep in mind off trail is a broad word. To some it means ride a forest or logging road and like you said it works well but to some it mean carving powder and for that it stinks, great sled but stinky for carving and climbing

groomerdriver

there are plenty on 2st with 15 to 20k on them

I was wondering how quickly somebody would post this. "Plenty"?....sure but look how many 2S sleds are in existence.....many times more than a 4S. How many rebuilds to get to 15 - 20K on your "average" 2S? I know there are 2S sleds with 15K that have never been touched. But IMO that is the exception, not the rule. And the new tech 2S motors use so little oil that lubrication failures are not that uncommon. If you want a durable, "for the trail", gas and go sled...the Doo or Yam 4S's have proven their mettle.

ezra

yeah ok think it has anything to do with the kind of driver who buys a 4st?
true a 4st will run longer but a typical guy who buys a Yamaha 4st would more than likely be the same guy who could get 15k on a cat lay down twin with o top ends.
and so what if a motor will run for ever a hard on his sled young buck buys a vector the chassis is junk in 10k or less the skid has had a grand dumped in to it by then on ans on.
all who buys them and how they ride them .
and for the record tons of old red head yammi trippels out there with factory top ends with way over 20k on em .that said
I will prob own a yammi cat soon and will prob be the last trail sled I buy for a long long long time more the war dept than me on this one.if my trail sleds get 300 mi a yr I am shocked

groomerdriver

true a 4st will run longer but a typical guy who buys a Yamaha 4st would more than likely be the same guy who could get 15k on a cat lay down twin with o top ends.
and so what if a motor will run for ever a hard on his sled young buck buys a vector the chassis is junk in 10k or less the skid has had a grand dumped in to it by then on ans on.
and for the record tons of old red head yammi trippels out there with factory top ends with way over 20k on em .that said
I will prob own a yammi cat soon and will prob be the last trail sled I buy for a long long long time more the war dept than me on this one.if my trail sleds get 300 mi a yr I am shocked

The main thing is that it's "your" money....buy what you want to. I think I'll go start a "which 4S oil should I use?" thread over in Tech. :)

L

lenny

Ezra, I live 4 blocks from a Yamaha dealer and your gonna have to trust me her on this one bro. I am in the shop nearly every day for one reason or another talking to Kip for many reasons and see and hear of things going on. The failures you are describing are as infrequent as the 2s running 15k. I just sold a Rage with 12k and had zero chassis issues but I did dump 375 into the rear skid, $110 into the front end bushings, that's it. Mr Freeze has 32k on his vector and just replaces his bushings in front end as preventative for the first time and has never,, and I mean never changed a part in the rear skid except a mono shock rebuild and a few adjuster cables that break from ice. DWZ here on this board has 2 Apex one with 11 k and the other with 9600, so far no rebuilds and they have been checked cause I bought the Rage from him and from that experience they get looked at closely now. Sure there are those who are used to a lighter 2s and neglect a heavy Yamaha check over and before you know it the front end bushings are shot and thing can go down hill fast from there. Every Yamaha owner should lift the front end off the ground,,,, say after 7-8k, depending how it's been ridden and check the front end just like you do with a car. it is inherent with a heavy front end sled where the weight is beat up and down. I do know people who had Nytro's and Phazers and they did indeed have issues with front end wear but like I said, you have to keep an eye on that stuff. I believe there was a recall on some Phazer front end hardware where things were coming loose. You know I am a poo owner now but still own 3 Yamaha and all 3 are 2s. I can say with confidence that you are incorrect in claiming that Yamaha chassis and skids are junk after 10k, it's less rare than some 2s running 20k. Another inherent issue with any 4s sled will be drive bearing because of the added 4s torque, also exhaust doughnuts.

ezra

I agree with what u say lenny but like I said the guys who buy a 4st are usually not the young bucks it is the older guys who dont abuse there stuff as much

russholio

Doo 4 strokes take 87 octane with up to 10 % ethanol , anymore ethanol than that then yes 91

That's what the gas cap and manual say.....but there are plenty of guys on DooTalk who can't figure out why Doo made this switch and are sticking to 87 (regardless of ethanol content) and reporting no problems. Will there be problems in the long term? Who knows, too early to tell.

L

lenny

I agree with what u say lenny but like I said the guys who buy a 4st are usually not the young bucks it is the older guys who dont abuse there stuff as much

I have to agree with you

helhuf

we have been using a combination of vector and apex ltx's on our trips, those guys love the vector and apex's, I have a nytro xtx and love it for trail and off trail boondocking. We also have a Apex xtx and a skidoo 1200 renegade that ride with us. We all have adapted to similar riding styles so the weight advantage doesn't matter on the trail. I would go with vector or apex if I changed. By the way I am 60 yo and riding yammis for 12 years (was a old arctic cat guy)

- - - Updated - - -

We have 2 sleds with over 15000 miles on them both yammis, I had a yammi warrior and sold it with 15000 on it, it still is running with and extra bunch of miles on it.

saarib

Don't get me wrong, I love the reliability of the 4s and love my Venture GT, but as Ezra stated above the ability to have a full 2up sled and the ability to remove the 2up seat when I ride by myself is going to be a perfect fit for what I need right now. I think I will go with the doo grand touring 600 etec. After the kids get a little bigger and need their own sleds I'll look at the vector. Thanks for all the advice.

groomerdriver

Don't get me wrong, I love the reliability of the 4s and love my Venture GT, but as Ezra stated above the ability to have a full 2up sled and the ability to remove the 2up seat when I ride by myself is going to be a perfect fit for what I need right now. I think I will go with the doo grand touring 600 etec. After the kids get a little bigger and need their own sleds I'll look at the vector. Thanks for all the advice.

Get it with 1200 4S motor.........