2014/2015 Snowmobile Season A Bust?

j1cousin

Other than the U.P.and northern Wisconsin having snow right now
12-8-14, everywhere else has nothing or very little. Extended forecasts show warm ups all over the Midwest throughout the month of December. John Dee is showing signs of skepticism in his forecasts on this possibly being an up and down winter now.

I must say I am worried that this will be an el nino winter and not much riding will be done this year for those who don't live in the very upper midwest.

The only good I could possibly see coming from this, is that the cost of used sleds will go down after last year's amazing winter and with this being possibly a bust, I think people will be dumping their sleds, which will allow new users into the sport.

What are your thoughts?

Jonger1150

Maybe maybe not

I wouldn't write the whole season off, but its pretty safe to say that most riding options before Xmas are off the table in the midwest.

John's forecast is what my weather geek community has had fretting about since about 10 days ago, it's not pretty.

I'm actually looking at trailering up to Hearst Ontario to ride the loops at the end of this month.... It's far enough north to avoid the warm-up, they can afford to be 20 degrees above normal in December.

I wonder if we can ship some grooming equipment over to the United Kingdom, it looks like record cold for England is coming.

xcr440

Seriously, its DECEMBER 8TH. Most counties in WI are AT LEAST a week away from opening IF THERE IS SNOW.

indy_500

We've been spoiled too many times over the years, I remember having a white christmas in the southern half of Wisconsin doesn't always happen! Be patient It'll happen. 3 years ago the county I live in (Outagamie) never opened the trails all year, that was a first since my club has been around in the 1960s.

j1cousin

Seriously, its DECEMBER 8TH. Most counties in WI are AT LEAST a week away from opening IF THERE IS SNOW.

Yes I know it's only December 8th, which is clearly still early, but going off the future forecasts with showing no promises of anything worth while happening in the month of December, that doesn't worry you in the least bit? I am not trying to start a big huge panic, im just stating what's being observed by the weather forecasters.

Banks93

I don't think the used market for sleds will change that much but I could see the leftover new sled market affecting sales for next year's new sleds.

Sleds on craigslist seem to be moving pretty fast.

momoney2123

Im very worried. Me and my buds are willing to drive to snow. If UP is only place with snow in midwest, we all know how that goes.

Anyone know what a non-resident trail permit costs in ontario and if there are any good trail systems worth driving to?

j1cousin

I don't think the used market for sleds will change that much but I could see the leftover new sled market affecting sales for next year's new sleds.

Sleds on craigslist seem to be moving pretty fast.

My thoughts on used sled prices also are factored by the high prices of new sleds. I think they have risen rapidly which is increasing the values of used sleds, however if it's a minimal snow year, I think it will play a role on used sled prices. We were definitely spoiled last year with winter, I actually was tired of snowmobiling by the end of the winter year which has never happened before in all my years of riding.... I guess we will see how things pan out, but currently the outlook doesn't look good, well @ least certainly from what ive been reading from the many weather centers/forecasters.....

Banks93

The 4 sled makers don't just pump out 5,000 - 10,000 of each model anymore. They do a lot better job of pre-ordering sleds by dealers and which models people want to order.

All the Polaris and Ski Doo dealers I was at were low on sleds about a month ago and were having trouble doing dealer trades. I could see Yamaha and Arctic Cat maybe have some excessive viper and 7000 inventory but I would think they are also doing the same thing and shouldn't have too many extra sleds.

If they do the big 4 will put discounts on them to get them out but they are not going to drop the new prices of next years sleds.

bigvin

Holy Cow! A Bust!
That's why people laugh at us.
YOU have a SNOW mobile?
Well,.. unless it was last year. And you had lots of layers of clothing!
I live about 40 miles North of Green Bay, and was just looking at some Christmas
pictures the other day of us comfortably outside without jackets on with NO snow.
Then, other pictures of Me sledding at Thanksgiving. Ya just never know.
Once you start ticking Mother Nature off,... Then EVERYONE who believes in Karma,...
is going to be after ya LOL!
I figure (locally that is) January 15th to March 5th. Anything More is Sweet,... and any thing
less,... oh well.
I do remember though a few years back, when the U.P. seemed to be the ONLY place with snow!
Trails were PACKED with everyone from the Mountains of the West, to the Plains, to everyone from New England.
It was crazy. But if ya love it enough. Ya have to have hope my friend.
Sounds good on paper anyway.
But then again, I still believe in Santa Claus.

:)

THINK * SNOW!

Sledhead!

Trip planned Dec 26-30th. At this point, if there is 14" or so I am still planning on coming. Won't be anything like last year, but I recall a few trips when the trails had a lot of "snirt" and still managed to have fun. Time we all did our snow dances and whatever else you can think of to fire up that lake effect machine. A few cold days and some LES will get the UP righted back up.

Hopefully the forecasted pattern will change up on us and bring that nice cold Canada air back down.

Jonger1150

Trip planned Dec 26-30th. At this point, if there is 14" or so I am still planning on coming. Won't be anything like last year, but I recall a few trips when the trails had a lot of "snirt" and still managed to have fun. Time we all did our snow dances and whatever else you can think of to fire up that lake effect machine. A few cold days and some LES will get the UP righted back up.

Hopefully the forecasted pattern will change up on us and bring that nice cold Canada air back down.

I wouldn't write that one off yet, but I would keep my options open as to where you are going.

- - - Updated - - -

It might hit 40+ in Winnipeg on Thursday... That's about 20F above normal.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's still early but I'm watching the long term as well and things can change quickly. I kept a journal last winter for our part of the state and a couple of points to pass along; we were riding most everywhere in Wisconsin at Christmas, it rained for 24 hours just after New Years and the following week we had Wind Chills in Appleton at -51. It's still early and I'm already sick of the TV news people chirping about "how nice it is" with the warm temperatures.

Personally, I've always felt that if we're riding by Christmas then that's a bonus. Think Snow!

Woodtic

Just got back from the UP last night. We rode for a day and a half. 300 miles 50/50 trail / two track. The best trails I have ever seen the first week of Dec. Hats off to the clubs that could get out. The woods were full of new sleds. When it snows,you have to get out and ride. Snow melting is nothing new, I'm no weatherman, but I think it happens all the time. :)

Last edited:

snoluver1

We get one crazy winter in 30 years and suddenly it's supposed to be the norm?? For cripes sake the "season" hasn't even started yet!