2014/2015 Snowmobile Season A Bust?

600_RMK_144

Wow. We sure do get testy around here when the weather doesn't cooperate!!! I think a good old fashion blizzard might fix us all up just fine.

eagle1

Yup...total bust..... it's over.
I will be providing FREE winter storage in my garage!!!! All sleds are required to have key in ignition and full tank of gas! Sleds must be promptly picked up March 31st. PM me for address. :)

jedoyle

I personally didn't read blkhwkbob's post as whining but rather just stating some facts. I am in the same boat as him. I have an 8 hour drive to the Greenland area which is where I like to stay. I can't just drop everything and take off for the UP the second there is talk of snow. I wish I could but it just doesn't work that way for me anyway. Now if we get snow here in Iowa I probably can do that more easily which is what some on this site are able to do since they live in the UP or WI at a minimum. Maybe someday the wife & I will move a little closer to the white stuff. Can dream anyway.

whitedust

I personally didn't read blkhwkbob's post as whining but rather just stating some facts. I am in the same boat as him. I have an 8 hour drive to the Greenland area which is where I like to stay. I can't just drop everything and take off for the UP the second there is talk of snow. I wish I could but it just doesn't work that way for me anyway. Now if we get snow here in Iowa I probably can do that more easily which is what some on this site are able to do since they live in the UP or WI at a minimum. Maybe someday the wife & I will move a little closer to the white stuff. Can dream anyway.

I understand the difficulties involved to drive north of Hwy 8 but I used to drive 360 RT miles alone to Clark county ride 100 or so load up an back home. The bud thing is very difficult to coordinate for short notice so for me just went out on my own & put on 1000s of miles that would not have been ridden if I waited for someone else. Sometimes you just need to do it!

j1cousin

Okay, not everyone on this site lives in Northern Wisconsin or the U.P. I would have to guess maybe 30-40% of you live up there and you may not see it as being a bust but for those of us who live in northern illinois or southern wisconsin sure as **** don't feel comfortable about the road ahead of us. Supposed to be 50's this weekend and every day shows mid to upper 30's in the foreseeable future. And like someone else said, not everyone could just load up and head north to snowmobile. Going up north is usually a once or twice a year special trip for most people. We rely on snow here in the lower midwest, which I don't see happening anytime soon. So with that being said, I brought up the notion, could it possibly be a bust this year for most of us?

whitedust

Okay, not everyone on this site lives in Northern Wisconsin or the U.P. I would have to guess maybe 30-40% of you live up there and you may not see it as being a bust but for those of us who live in northern illinois or southern wisconsin sure as **** don't feel comfortable about the road ahead of us. Supposed to be 50's this weekend and every day shows mid to upper 30's in the foreseeable future. And like someone else said, not everyone could just load up and head north to snowmobile. Going up north is usually a once or twice a year special trip for most people. We rely on snow here in the lower midwest, which I don't see happening anytime soon. So with that being said, I brought up the notion, could it possibly be a bust this year for most of us?

El Nino can drop HUGE system snow anywhere in IA, MN,WI & MI just need the right weather formula for a hooker low & Wham! Still if you snooz you loze El Nino can catch you napping temp wise. Just saying you have to change to short term planning & chase snow.

POLARISDAN

I understand the difficulties involved to drive north of Hwy 8 but I used to drive 360 RT miles alone to Clark county ride 100 or so load up an back home. The bud thing is very difficult to coordinate for short notice so for me just went out on my own & put on 1000s of miles that would not have been ridden if I waited for someone else. Sometimes you just need to do it!

yea if ur not prepared to trailer and especially ride alone..lots of miles lost..its not to hard to hook up with riders once you are somewhere if you feel the need..i ride to ride..alone or not

snoluver1

I don't mean this to be rude, but have you just recently moved to Chicago from a different planet? I'm just having trouble understanding your lodgic. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point but, when have we EVER had good reliable snow in northern IL? (With the exception of last year) I've lived hear for 20 years now and other than last year, I can't think of a single winter that had reliable snow. If you own a snowmobile in IL, you had better be prepared to trailer it. Just the way it is here.

polarisrider1

I'm responding to an earlier poster who wrote "It snows a foot and ya better get on it on day one or two or snooze ya loose[SIC]!"

I know were your coming from with the drive. I am directly east of Milwaukee a hundred miles or so. Takes me 11 hrs. To mass city. (Darn lake Mi is in the way. But still 5 hours to the Up . guess my point is snowmobiling is a spur of the moment activity if you want to get the most/best riding out if it. We can not change the weather to fit our schedules so we may as well accept it and save the ulcers for something else. If going to the yoop find a place with things to do besides ride as a backup. That helped a lot when my kids were young and riding.

whitedust

I know were your coming from with the drive. I am directly east of Milwaukee a hundred miles or so. Takes me 11 hrs. To mass city. (Darn lake Mi is in the way. But still 5 hours to the Up . guess my point is snowmobiling is a spur of the moment activity if you want to get the most/best riding out if it. We can not change the weather to fit our schedules so we may as well accept it and save the ulcers for something else. If going to the yoop find a place with things to do besides ride as a backup. That helped a lot when my kids were young and riding.

Yeppers I have been staring at rideable snow for a month now but WI trails not open so rode 10 miles here & there on private land then put sled away to wait for the Vilas opener. Now saying 40s & sun then 2 days of 40s & rain for the 12,13,14 & maybe the 15th so Tuesday I can inventory thaw see what we have. Nothing I can do about it so wrote off the Vilas opener this weekend riding buds did too. Sure we were very disappointed & fustrated on Monday but over it now hoping for better conditions later just have to wait & see.

j1cousin

I don't mean this to be rude, but have you just recently moved to Chicago from a different planet? I'm just having trouble understanding your lodgic. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point but, when have we EVER had good reliable snow in northern IL? (With the exception of last year) I've lived hear for 20 years now and other than last year, I can't think of a single winter that had reliable snow. If you own a snowmobile in IL, you had better be prepared to trailer it. Just the way it is here.

I actually rely on SW Michigan snow. Have a cottage in sister lakes and do all my riding there. I haven't snowmobiled in IL, but I do know, just around the lake from here they get dumped on, which they did in November, but thats all gone now and although the temps are equivalent to chicago, the snow there more than makes up for it, but when we get these major warm ups so does SW Michigan....

Its the game we're forced to play living out south of the snow.
There were a few years when I could just drop what I was doing, grab somebody with a sled and head north. Lives change, kids, work, finances. Last years was the lowest millage year I've had since I started chasing snow; couldn't get away. This season is pretty full too.
But the sled is always pointed with the skis toward the door incase things align in its favor.

*One year I was about an hour from the bridge when my wife finally crawled out of bed. I got her call asking, where are you? She thought I was joking I said I was going snowmobiling in the morning.

slimcake

Sledding alone is boring........to me at least. Grooming alone?...OK with me!

All my riding buddies seem to have lost interest or had kids and wives ect... Last year I put half my miles on alone and that was fantastic. Stop when I wanted to and look around. Ride at whatever pace I wanted. Couldn't believe how much I enjoyed that.

Jonger1150

Riding by myself is a-ok.... I go at my own pace, listen to tunes...

I have one person that I usually ride with, but if he can't and I can ride... I do.

I see tons of big groups of guys out on the trails, I never could figure out how they get that setup. They do because they might only go out once a year... I ride up to 3,000 miles a season... About 500 alone.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually rely on SW Michigan snow. Have a cottage in sister lakes and do all my riding there. I haven't snowmobiled in IL, but I do know, just around the lake from here they get dumped on, which they did in November, but thats all gone now and although the temps are equivalent to chicago, the snow there more than makes up for it, but when we get these major warm ups so does SW Michigan....

We ride SW Michigan at least twice a year... I like to farm fields, you can see a long ways and really rip through them without worrying about someone coming around the corner.