3/7 MW, BJ, Presque Isle, Winchester Ride

pclark

First, It was 38 and sunny today and I didn't leave until 1pm which is OK as I wanted to see how the trails are holding up. After anywhere from 4-8" of snow in our area Monday I would hate to of seen the trails if we didn't receive it. No cause for alarm but that new snow pretty much compacted into the trail in just 24 hours (the power of the sun!) Now, about the ride, trail #2 over to BJ was good and MW had groomed last night, in BJ a mess but that was expected, took trail #15 north of to Presque Isle, mostly good, some soft spots, slushy, sun burning exposed trail. Hooked up with Trail #6 and rode over to Presque Isle, was the same, very rideable, slushy in spots. West out of PI on #6, it was perfect, south on #6 towards Winchester, explored a couple side trails, #6 south to #14 and over to Winchester, very nice and plenty of clean snow, flat and smooth. Hooked back up #6 in MW and back on #2 to my place. Pictures do the talking, Enjoy!
1678228003234.png
1678228039076.png
1678228063725.png
1678228122057.png
1678228160453.png
1678228196962.png
1678228221596.png
1678228245446.png

pclark

Thanks for update.
There are very rideable trails, you just have to get away from the towns and you find them. I think if we don't get snow on Friday it will be late season riding for sure, by that I mean get back into the forest and stay off road trails because they are burning through fast.

indy_500

Staying at the whitetail on the west side of St G this weekend. Planned to stay away from BJ as that’s usually a mess in warmer temps. Was hoping to run thru Sayner and across plum and Star, then maybe do a trail 6/8 loop west of conover and head back, but nervous how it’ll be trying to get thru Sayner onto plum… I usually take trail 10 east of plum and star lake, one of my favorite tight/twisty trails, but the gts app is showing it’s the only trail in the area that hasn’t been groomed recently. Didn’t want to take it for my Saturday ride, as that’ll add a lot of ride time, and the 6/8 loop west of conover will be long enough for my group. I also noticed both Minocqua clubs groomed everything last night (Tuesday night) and Bo boen did everything Monday night. Looks like eagle river hasn’t groomed since Saturday night? Guessing that’s because they scrape everything off the trails, and there’s nothing left… Today and rest of week is cloudy with an inch or 2 of snow on the way for Friday, so shouldn’t add any more damage than what the sun did yesterday. any thoughts on in town in Sayner? Thanks

SledTL

Staying at the whitetail on the west side of St G this weekend. Planned to stay away from BJ as that’s usually a mess in warmer temps. Was hoping to run thru Sayner and across plum and Star, then maybe do a trail 6/8 loop west of conover and head back, but nervous how it’ll be trying to get thru Sayner onto plum… I usually take trail 10 east of plum and star lake, one of my favorite tight/twisty trails, but the gts app is showing it’s the only trail in the area that hasn’t been groomed recently. Didn’t want to take it for my Saturday ride, as that’ll add a lot of ride time, and the 6/8 loop west of conover will be long enough for my group. I also noticed both Minocqua clubs groomed everything last night (Tuesday night) and Bo boen did everything Monday night. Looks like eagle river hasn’t groomed since Saturday night? Guessing that’s because they scrape everything off the trails, and there’s nothing left… Today and rest of week is cloudy with an inch or 2 of snow on the way for Friday, so shouldn’t add any more damage than what the sun did yesterday. any thoughts on in town in Sayner? Thanks
Its kinda rough to get through Sayner by the pub in a normal winter and down onto the lake. I'd imagine alot of scraping of the bides.

wisco-mb

The north trails along 70 on west side of St Germain were a little thin last weekend.
10E was perfect last Thursday, but was little soft/bumpy coming back on Friday afternoon. Definitely a fun one!
8E was little rough on Saturday also.
Trail 6 is always a fun twisty one. It was perfect condition last Saturday morning!
If you really want to go through Sayner, at least it's short. That would not deter me if it messes up your loop.

indy_500

The north trails along 70 on west side of St Germain were a little thin last weekend.
10E was perfect last Thursday, but was little soft/bumpy coming back on Friday afternoon. Definitely a fun one!
8E was little rough on Saturday also.
Trail 6 is always a fun twisty one. It was perfect condition last Saturday morning!
If you really want to go through Sayner, at least it's short. That would not deter me if it messes up your loop.
Fortunately we only have to go a half mile or so west of the whitetail until we hit trail 70 to head north. I do know when you go west of there and the trails crosses hwy 70 south it goes through that logged area that is always bare so we’ll stay away from that

Our group when through Sayner (ate at the pub) last Saturday and then headed towards stillwaters. It wasn't a problem getting through, just bare where we crossed the road by the gas station, as we expected it to be. Especially with some snow coming on Friday, I wouldn't hesitate to go through Sayner.

pclark

Indy, I agree with the other posts, Sayner will be bare as will any town right now. getting gas is ugly so if you can fill up and not have to deal with that all the better. It's 38 and mostly sunny at noon in MW, amazing how the sun takes away what we had but if you do the trails that you have mentioned you should be good back in the woods, trails may be a little slushy but then again it's only supposed to get to 33 on Saturday and 28 on Friday. I went to Minocqua and Rhinelander by car today and trails were all groomed and looked good, south side of HWY 47 trail from Minocqua to Lake Tom (the grade) was burned through but ridebale down in the wide ditch. There's a lot of trails north of Sayner that you should find fairly good and if we get a couple inches of snow even better. The trails North and NW of Sayner #15, #11 are pretty shaded and should be ok. FYI