3 options need opinions

SledTL

Due to some family member living changes, my 2001 SRX triple will be leaving my hands in the next 8 months or so. I’m gonna be in the market for a new/newer sled and want to see what people think. I’m really not brand specific, although I probably would rank AC last. I ride 95% trails except for messing around in a ditch or two. I also don’t need the latest and greatest, I just love to ride. Need opinions on a few models below. Probably thinking somewhere around $8,000 or less, let me know what you have been paying.

Indy 600- fuel injected, 121, basic but good ride, shocks are eh. Go SP if possible

Renegade sport 600 carb- is the 136 worth it over fuel injection? Mxz sport? Carbs don’t bug me, the srx is a bear to start in the cold so electric start is nice to have

Used sled- what is good mileage to shoot for? Can’t imagine some of these 2s sleds with 3-4,000 miles are worth it? I think Yamaha sleds will be too far out of price range unless mileage isn’t a concern. Weight doesn’t bug me either because the SRX was heavy.

Please try to keep this from being a pissing match, trying to start researching things and then keep my eyes open as deals pop up.

Dean

eagle1

Should be able find very nice sled for that money.
Think most important things when buying used is to find someone who really takes care of their equipment. Let brand come secondary.
I would tend lean toward Doo E-tec or Yamaha if you wanted 4 stroke.

hermie

For that price you should be able to find a new left over. A new Indy or Ski-Doo mxz sport. Both sleds would be a much better ride then the srx. I would think you could find a low mile Ski-Doo 600 Tnt etec or Polaris 600 axys. I have had 4 600 etecs and have put on more then 8000 miles on all of them with no issues. When buying used all comes down to how well they are maintained.

mrbb

IMO< I also think you should be able to find a new left over sled for that price, and even a LOT of higher end sleds with low miles, and many still with warranty's on them
all just comes down to how far your willing to go to get one!
snow was good in some places last yr but not all>
Trails here in PA< were NOT even really open at all last 2 yrs, should be LOTS of folks looking to sell and or dealers sitting on left overs!
as for how many miles should you look at or stay away from?
this is a loaded question as a lot comes down to what experience level you have on sled maintenance and or , are willing to do, to get a deal!

IMO< 2 stroke sleds after about 6-7 thousand miles, are getting to where a top end is NEEDED, if not sooner, and then factor in wear and tear, as NOT all powers do the same amount of care /pm's to things, so you have to keep that in mind on higher mile sleds
If your a tool turner and like to play with sleds, , again, you can maybe do a good once over and save some $$
if not, higher mile sleds can quickly become money pits , if a dealer will be doing ALL things! again, my 2 cents!

SledTL

Snow was good by me so I haven’t seen a lot of holdovers at dealers. I have no problems doing some work and take care of my stuff better than 90% of people so I am particular about maintenance. Thinking if I stay under 2,000 miles that is a good benchmark. Sled right now has 5600 miles and never done a thing to do it outside of basics. Anyone have a doo sport 600? I think they are lower on power than most 600s...

Hoosier

I bought a new leftover cat 6000 last year for $8K. If you are spending that much I'd go new. Anything you get at that price point will be light years ahead of that 98. My 18 as night and day better than the 06 Polaris I came off of. I'd recommend sitting on a few and deciding that way. I'm not a brand guy either but I liked the way I fit on the Cat (rode the other 2 also before buying).

If new you might have to wait till the Fall as I think most of them roll back the rebates in the off season.

Looks like there are a couple low mileage Indy sp’s In the classifieds on this site, well under the $8k you mentioned.

Last edited:

eagle1

I'd check out Ken's sports. Maybe even take a road trip. They usually have tons of leftovers Polaris and Cats. Ecklunds and Power Sports One (Yamaha) all close by too.

- - - Updated - - -

........Maybe come fall I'll sell ya my 2016 800 Renegade X 3200 miles.

snobuilder

Not sure what is left out there with the new spring check only type programs. Seems the mannies are cutting way back in an effort to keep NOS at a minimum.
Ken's was the place to go but I'm not seeing the same inventory of leftovers this year as in the past.,,,,23 sleds right now.....waaaaaay less than in the past.
I doubt driving from the twin cities makes sense either.

Last edited:

xcr440

There are still some good left over deals at dealers in the Twin Cities - at least a month ago anyway. No need to drive to Ken's from the Twin Cities.

On a side note, used prices, or at least the asking prices, are easily $1000 above last years asking prices - guess that's the result of good snow/good winter.

SledTL

There are still some good left over deals at dealers in the Twin Cities - at least a month ago anyway. No need to drive to Ken's from the Twin Cities.

On a side note, used prices, or at least the asking prices, are easily $1000 above last years asking prices - guess that's the result of good snow/good winter.

Yes, I noticed that the used prices seem to be way high this year. I probably won't buy until next spring time anyways, so the prices could be totally different depending on the winter. Dad lives down in IL, so I can span multiple areas if I find a good deal. I think used is gonna be the way to go because I'll be able to get a much nicer sled, but jury is out still.

whitedust

Yes, I noticed that the used prices seem to be way high this year. I probably won't buy until next spring time anyways, so the prices could be totally different depending on the winter. Dad lives down in IL, so I can span multiple areas if I find a good deal. I think used is gonna be the way to go because I'll be able to get a much nicer sled, but jury is out still.

Ok buying schedule is Spring 2020 can’t ride until January 2021? If this is your timing I would advise to rent various models spend some seat time on different sleds. The market is shrinking and both Textron and Yamaha are on thin ice at their corporate levels. If any OEM leaves the snow business it will change the landscape and pricing of the used sled market. Imo test , do homework, check new products and see how winters play out. Could be a glut of good used sleds sitting in lots by then and a smaller OEM market. Things could be drastically different very soon time to keep your ear to the ground if considering Textron or Yamaha and how a possible exit could shake up the market new and used.

SledTL

Ok buying schedule is Spring 2020 can’t ride until January 2021? If this is your timing I would advise to rent various models spend some seat time on different sleds. The market is shrinking and both Textron and Yamaha are on thin ice at their corporate levels. If any OEM leaves the snow business it will change the landscape and pricing of the used sled market. Imo test , do homework, check new products and see how winters play out. Could be a glut of good used sleds sitting in lots by then and a smaller OEM market. Things could be drastically different very soon time to keep your ear to the ground if considering Textron or Yamaha and how a possible exit could shake up the market new and used.

I will try to bum rides off of people with different sleds but at my price point, it lands me at a few years back from current, not worried about that. New doo renny sport is $7800 give or take. 2016ish Pro-S with 1800 miles is $7500.

whitedust

I will try to bum rides off of people with different sleds but at my price point, it lands me at a few years back from current, not worried about that. New doo renny sport is $7800 give or take. 2016ish Pro-S with 1800 miles is $7500.

Sounds like your focus is 2s which is fine but lots of low mile Vipers could be available within your budget in your time table. Low mile Apex and Vector are very difficult to find anymore but they are out there and you have plenty of time to find a cherry in the $5-7k range with eps as well. New or older used 4s are excellent trail sleds.

SledTL

Sounds like your focus is 2s which is fine but lots of low mile Vipers could be available within your budget in your time table. Low mile Apex and Vector are very difficult to find anymore but they are out there and you have plenty of time to find a cherry in the $5-7k range with eps as well. New or older used 4s are excellent trail sleds.

I was just using an example. There is lots of Vipers out there as well at a good price point, and I want another Yamaha. Can't put a GGB mountain can on a viper and close down trails though :(