4 place hybrid trailer

mojo

well thinking this over again. the inline I guess wont work to well pulling with my pilot. so rethinking a hybrid trailer well do me fine. like to gone with a 7 foot wide but then it be to long of a trailer. like to see behind me but I guess with a 8 foot wide might pull better in bad roads? with that said so what kind hybrid do I get triton proline snoproand I think r&r has one?

indy_500

I wouldn't pull 4 sleds period with a pilot regardless of the height or width of the trailer. No matter what it's going to weigh very similar. I dislike pulling my buddies 4 place inline with my 06 silverado 1500 vortec max because it tosses me around like a toy. Every single trip I take the roads are pretty treacherous as they don't use salt on 45/M26. Roads are always glare ice or hardpacked snow, because it is winter in the snow belt. Everybody laughs at the guy pulling his 2 place with his 3/4 ton diesel but I'm definitely not one of those guys, I would LOVE the snow-driveability of a heavy 3/4 ton diesel that wouldn't get tossed around on crappy winter roads.

mojo

well that's what I have to pull and not buying a new car. pulled a open 8 foot wide by 22 plus the v for5 or 6 years did ok

timo

well thinking this over again. the inline I guess wont work to well pulling with my pilot. so rethinking a hybrid trailer well do me fine. like to gone with a 7 foot wide but then it be to long of a trailer. like to see behind me but I guess with a 8 foot wide might pull better in bad roads? with that said so what kind hybrid do I get triton proline snoproand I think r&r has one?

get whatever trailer you'd like it won't matter if you plan on pulling four machines with a Pilot.
It'll be dangerous and never racking no matter what.
Personally I wouldn't pull a wood spliter with a Honda Pilot.
Don't get me wrong they're nice family soccer mom SUV's, but not made to pull four machines.

snoeatr

Mojo- your not going to get the answer your looking for pulling with that. Well over 2000 pounds just in sleds. What is max towing around 4k? A four place enclosed is plenty for a 1/2 ton pickup. Too much for midsize suv. You have to factor in with enclosed the amount of wind the trailer catches drag and cross. I just towed 3 place enclosed friday in the 60mph+ cross winds up 39/51. With 1/2 silverado it was a bit scary. Seeing semis blown over really makes you worry. But to put that aside if you can afford it I would go inline over hybrid. I bought hybrid and like it but just to save $.

I agree with most on here, if you are not willing to upgrade vehicles then I would just buy the trailer you want and take your chances. I have a 3/4 Silverado with a 6.0 engine and I pull a 7x23, but in a year I would like to buy a newer truck and really don't need a 3/4 anymore. I was thinking of buying a 1/2 Silverado but may have to do more research for sure. For 5-6 times a season I pull a trailer a 1/2 ton would be plenty of truck 90% of the time.

mrbb

well that's what I have to pull and not buying a new car. pulled a open 8 foot wide by 22 plus the v for5 or 6 years did ok

I speed all the time and haven't got a ticket yet(well in 20+ yrs)
does that mean speeding is OK ??

like I said in your other tread
just cause you CAN< doesn't mean you should

Take this with a grain of salt
get a trailer that exceeds your tow vehicle MAX GVW and GOD forbid you get in an accident

and then you find out your insurance doesn';t cover you
and worst yet, IF anyone gets hurt
and your liable for all things, due to negligence on your part!

you'll find out real fast how much savings you got on NOT buying a proper tow vehicle!

MAYBE you should think things out like this
HOW OFTEN DO YOU TOW??

maybe renting a proper truck to tow , is better than trying to use your pilot, if you don't tow often!

OR< maybe since your towing 4 sleds
HAVE a buddy do the towing with a truck again MADE to handle a trailer of this size!

better safe than sorry is my way of looking at it!!

Not trying to hate on you here either, just hate to see folks do DUMP things that can cause serious injury to others!
Just cause you don;t care, doesn't mean risking others is right!!

mojo

snoeatr
what kind of hybrid did you get?

mmrb
I might go upnorth 3-4 time only. if so it like 200 miles.

as for the pilot tow 4500lbs. pulled y friends enclose 8x18 steel trailer did fine if I remember got about 9mpg with it. so I think 20footer be alright . but getting inline 24 maybe not

mtu_deltsig

Mojo, I try to help you out here. I'm a vehicle dynamics engineer for a major automaker and I spent many years sliding crossovers around with trailers attached at various loading conditions. Crossovers are capable of hauling trailers in the 4000 to 5000lbs if they spend the time to set them up properly. I have listed below how I would go about handling your situation.

1. Open your owner's manual and get the Gross Combination Weight Rating and Rear Axle Gross Weight Rating numbers. They maybe listed on driver's door as well.

2. Fill your Pilot full of all the gear and people that would be in it and go to a truck stop and weigh your vehicle. Make sure you get the rear axle weights and full vehicle weights.

3. Subtract your vehicle's loaded weight from your gross combined. Also substract the rear axle weight from your maximum gross axle weight rating.

4. These numbers will tell the maximum loaded trailer you could haul and how much reserve on your rear axle you have to support the tongue weight off trailer.

5. Take these numbers to the dealer or look up trailer specs online. To see if you can find something that will work.

Other things to look out for:

1. Most trailers in the US are designed to be hauled by trucks and put there rear axles significantly rearward of the centerline of trailer. This puts the tongue loads really high and difficult for crossovers to handle. You will definitely need a load equalization hitch and look for a trailer with axles closer to center of trailer. I would target around 7 to 8% tongue for crossover. Less than that trailers get unstable and more than that you may exceed RAWR.

2. You will have some visability issues with trailers wider than 7 feet that are enclosed.

3. You will need to add trailer brake controller to your vehicle.

4. I wouldn't plan on towing faster than 60 to 65 mph.

Regardless of what people say, crossovers can be used to haul trailers. Trucks are always more capable. You just have to do your homework more with a crossover. I hope this helps.

MNBlizzard

Not a safe scenario IMO. You need a proper tow vehicle with a class III or IV hitch. Remember, you also have to be able to STOP the load.

mtu_deltsig

Not a safe scenario IMO. You need a proper tow vehicle with a class III or IV hitch. Remember, you also have to be able to STOP the load.

Most crossovers run same size brakes as light duty trucks. There are government regulations that you have to certify for maximum stopping distance with max trailer (without the brakes on). If the vehicle came with factory hitch, it would be class 3 to support 4500. I think once he gets his actual weight of loaded vehicle, he will discover that his max trailer will be around 3000 to 3500. This will lead two more of open trailer to haul four sleds.

Your trailer weight rating is probably the most worthless piece of information that the automotive companies list. Up to about three years ago, all automotive companies determine by their own rules what the vehicle can haul safety. Some companies would often determine their max trailer by using a base vehicle and driver with no cargo to get the maximum trailer under gross combined weight. Now if the companies decide to follow the SAE standard, it is two passengers and 100 lbs of cargo. You also need to include any options that are over 33% take rate. So if you buy a vehicle with a lot options and carry a lot of cargo, your max trailer will be signifcantly less than what is advertised.

Last edited:

mojo

I do have a trailer brake controller when I pulled my buddy 18 enclosed steel trailer and I believe they where 10" tires on it had 4 sleds and 4 grown up in the pilot. yes had to drive in 4th gear about 3000-3300 rpms

indy_500

Mojo, I try to help you out here. I'm a vehicle dynamics engineer for a major automaker and I spent many years sliding crossovers around with trailers attached at various loading conditions. Crossovers are capable of hauling trailers in the 4000 to 5000lbs if they spend the time to set them up properly. I have listed below how I would go about handling your situation.

1. Open your owner's manual and get the Gross Combination Weight Rating and Rear Axle Gross Weight Rating numbers. They maybe listed on driver's door as well.

2. Fill your Pilot full of all the gear and people that would be in it and go to a truck stop and weigh your vehicle. Make sure you get the rear axle weights and full vehicle weights.

3. Subtract your vehicle's loaded weight from your gross combined. Also substract the rear axle weight from your maximum gross axle weight rating.

4. These numbers will tell the maximum loaded trailer you could haul and how much reserve on your rear axle you have to support the tongue weight off trailer.

5. Take these numbers to the dealer or look up trailer specs online. To see if you can find something that will work.

Other things to look out for:

1. Most trailers in the US are designed to be hauled by trucks and put there rear axles significantly rearward of the centerline of trailer. This puts the tongue loads really high and difficult for crossovers to handle. You will definitely need a load equalization hitch and look for a trailer with axles closer to center of trailer. I would target around 7 to 8% tongue for crossover. Less than that trailers get unstable and more than that you may exceed RAWR.

2. You will have some visability issues with trailers wider than 7 feet that are enclosed.

3. You will need to add trailer brake controller to your vehicle.

4. I wouldn't plan on towing faster than 60 to 65 mph.

Regardless of what people say, crossovers can be used to haul trailers. Trucks are always more capable. You just have to do your homework more with a crossover. I hope this helps.

All good info, except none of those take into effect winter driving conditions. Riding in the passenger seat on my way to the UP this year alone there were 4 instances where the driver almost lost control of my 2 place clamshell enclosed. Twice with a 2500 hd silverado and twice with a 1500 silverado. On our way back from Togwotee after new years we ran into an ice storm in which there were 2 semis jacknifed across the interstate and 20 some cars in the ditch scattered everywhere in South dakota. We pulled into the nearest truck stop and slept it out until the morning. Middle of January LES bomb dropper this year put us driving 10 mph, taking over an hour to get from toivola to houghton. I haven't been doing this long and feel like I've already seen enough. If you want to put yourself and others in danger pulling a 2500 lb trailer with 2500 lbs of sleds, with at least 1000 lbs if not 1500 in bodys/gear with your maybe 4000 lb short wheelbase 200 hp pilot go ahead. We're not trying to be jack wagons, just trying to give you solid advice. Two 2 place clamshells can be had for less than a 4 place enclosed...

sjb

Mojo - I also have a honda pilot and have done some pulling with it, but would never consider pulling a 4 place trailer any distance without thinking I am risking injury or an accident if I need to make any quick manuvers. I run my truck for that.

T

Tracker

I currently run a TRITON ELITE 101-20 4 place flatbed. Love it. I just redid both axles at RANGELINE a triton dealer in Monticello Indiana. He has what your looking for as I was gonna buy that instead of fixing mine. Its a TRITON ELITE 101-22 4 place flatbed. 2 foot longer for the new sleds. what an awesome trailer. love mine and have towed 4 sleds with an ASTRO VAN with a V6 no problem. these guys that say you cant also say its crappy on the trails if its less than 10 inches deep. LOL. consider the sources. its TOM at RANGELINE. tell him the guy that just got the 2 axles set ya. o ya. his price was way lower than I expected.

Hoosier

A Pilot is a large heavy vehicle isn't it? Not the smaller crossover? Not that it can tow a lot but it isn't small and light. I get that you aren't going to buy a new vehicle for 3 or 4 snowmobile trips.

Still, if you are only going 200 miles each way, you might be better off doing what Indy said and take two 2 placed enclosed trailer with two vehicles.

mojo

yes it is size of gmc arcadia or a trailblazer.i still think inline pull little easier then 8 wide trailer. yes it might buck the wind a little more but drive safe should be good. and no I'm not going to drive 65 mph. 50-60 so the rpm stay around 3000 rpm.

snoeatr

snoeatr
what kind of hybrid did you get?
/QUOTE]

I purchased a lightning trailer made by forrest river co. I chose that manufacturer due to the size available. I wanted to be able to get 3 sleds in it. Its similiar to the sno pro brand.

mrbb

OK quick specs

a triton 24 ft 4 place XT series model 247, has a CARRYING CAPACITY of 3675 LBS (off there web site http://www.tritontrailers.com/snowmobile/enclosed/value/ )

THEY don't list the weight of the trailer itself!
But I gather its a good 1,000 lbs or so

NEXT

the Pilot towing spec's off HONDA's site

so, at a 5k MAX tow rating on there biggest set up for towing, you will be at the MAX if NOT Over it on a fully loaded 4 place trailer
and towing something heavier than what is pulling it at 5K ???

if you think towing at your MAX is good?? have at it, "id double check your insurance and make sure your covered well!!

http://automobiles.honda.com/pilot/specifications.aspx

Curb Weight for AWD:4220 lbs4239 lbs4284 lbs4303 lbs

<tbody>
</tbody>
Towing Capacity for AWD: 5,000 lbs

srt20

OK quick specs

a triton 24 ft 4 place XT series model 247, has a CARRYING CAPACITY of 3675 LBS (off there web site http://www.tritontrailers.com/snowmobile/enclosed/value/ )

THEY don't list the weight of the trailer itself!
But I gather its a good 1,000 lbs or so

NEXT

the Pilot towing spec's off HONDA's site

so, at a 5k MAX tow rating on there biggest set up for towing, you will be at the MAX if NOT Over it on a fully loaded 4 place trailer
and towing something heavier than what is pulling it at 5K ???

if you think towing at your MAX is good?? have at it, "id double check your insurance and make sure your covered well!!

http://automobiles.honda.com/pilot/specifications.aspx

Curb Weight for AWD:4220 lbs4239 lbs4284 lbs4303 lbs

<tbody>
</tbody>
Towing Capacity for AWD: 5,000 lbs

Listed weight is 2325lbs Plus that trailer is 32.5ft long total. I bet the first cop to see that will have him pulled over.