89 INDY 500 dying

smokin440

My brother has an 89 Indy 500 and if air temps are above 25-30* the sled will shut off after riding it for a while. Let it sit for about an hour and it will start right up, but will do the same thing eventually. The engine has been replaced a few times(4-6) lol, carbs have been gone through and were told they are ok, replaced flywheel and CDI box(if thats what its called). Any ideas??? We were thinking of putting a heat shield over the ignition box to see if that helps but wanted some other ideas cause were at wits end with it.

Thanks,
Cliff

ezra

you prob did but have you felt the the watter lines on both sides of the watter pump poss a air bubbel or watter pump belt ect ect and it is overheating.

smokin440

No luck on the temp. Both lines felt the same temp. No thermostat just a cap on it either.
Died again in about 30* weather and wouldnt start for 2 days after, even still you have to pull the crap out of it to get it to sputter. Ordered a new(used) stator and CDI, see if that works.

edmarino

The sled is twenty-two years old, it is ready for retirement. It would probably make a nice addition to an antique collection.

smokin440

Next time it does it pull the plugs and check for strong
blue spark with new plugs.

Tried that. It had very weak spark, could barely see it.

As far as it being old, yes it is but when it runs, it runs VERY well and is fast. It pulled 4+ sleds on a 02 Edge 700.

doo_dr

Here INDY INDY INDY!!!

Where is INDY when you need him!!! He usually eats these damn things. Well clark, not since he read they were high in cholesterol.

Sorry but it's Friday. Sleds that shut down after running for a period of time usually are a motor that is getting worn out. ie: seals, rings, leaks, stretched diaphrams in the fuel pump, etc... Electrical systems may for a short time do this but they finally die completely. Start with the basics and eliminate as many as you can before taking it apart.

Oh by the way. Take your sled off the trailer and race down the lake the next time you race an 700 Edge!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't turn that one down. It was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Last edited:

smokin440

Where is INDY when you need him!!! He usually eats these damn things. Well clark, not since he read they were high in cholesterol.

Sorry but it's Friday. Sleds that shut down after running for a period of time usually are a motor that is getting worn out. ie: seals, rings, leaks, stretched diaphrams in the fuel pump, etc... Electrical systems may for a short time do this but they finally die completely. Start with the basics and eliminate as many as you can before taking it apart.

Oh by the way. Take your sled off the trailer and race down the lake the next time you race an 700 Edge!!!!

Engine is rebuilt as of fall of '09, 40 or 50 mm over bore, all new seals and parts. Fuel pump was rebuilt as of 3 weeks ago, jets are 325 or 330 or something like that. I know its electrical, just trying to figure out where.

Fat fingers, it was an Edge 600 not 700. And it was on Pike Lake, Lac Du Flambeau/ Minocqua areas.

indy_500

lol been working on my sled. finally got the motor back together and running

i have a feeling this thing is water pump related. You said it runs fine 20 degrees or below? It could be flooding out and you could need new needle and seats.

smokin440

Well after replacing the stator the other day going riding and it shutting off again, my brother replaced the CDI box and it died again. So it got the tow of shame by a Ski Doo back to the trailer and an 02 700XC now sits in its place as it has officially been retired. Thanks for the ideas guys (even though he didnt want to listen). Not sure what he will do with it, but it will probably be a parts sled as he wants to sell the engine separate since it was rebuilt the end of summer in '10.

cpaum

How many miles can you ride before it goes down. It really sounds like a coil problem to me. As a coil heats up the oil that is in the oil thins and allows the coil to arc out and stop. Coil's are known for this. I don't feel that it is a water problem because of the year your sled is. If it was newer I could see it. The older sleds didn't retard the timing like the new ones when the temp is to hi. I would replace the coil.

indy_500

How many miles can you ride before it goes down. It really sounds like a coil problem to me. As a coil heats up the oil that is in the oil thins and allows the coil to arc out and stop. Coil's are known for this. I don't feel that it is a water problem because of the year your sled is. If it was newer I could see it. The older sleds didn't retard the timing like the new ones when the temp is to hi. I would replace the coil.

on these sleds, isn't the coil part of the CDI?