96 Indy 500 hard starting after sitting a few days????

rvrbum4

I have a 1996 Polaris Indy 500 Carb (fuji)that has always ran and started just fine. This year for some reason it is a real pain to get it started after it has sat a few days. Once running it will start easy over and over again all day. Put in new plugs, have good spark, and plugs are wet with gas.
It almost acts like its flooded before I even start to pull the rope?????
Any ideas would be appreciated.

indy_500

Indy, this ones for you, boy!

lol, you could try killing the sled with the choke before shutting her down for the night. I do that when it's really cold and it does help. Needle and seats could need replacing. How many pulls is this taking you? Took me 3 pulls after sitting for 2+ days, 2 pulls if i started it everyday, and 1 pull warm on my 500. My 700 always starts on 1 pull due to the primer, which might help you getting it started. I believe primers run about $20

indy_500

Also, how do the plugs look? Could try cleaning carbs and change fuel filter. Start with simple things like that.

rvrbum4

Indy 500 - It runs fine once you get it started so I think filter is fine. It is getting gas because plugs will be wet with gas.
I might pull this biotch 20 times to get it started, may even need to use ether, sometimes just give up and try another day! Once you've had it running it will start with one or two pulls.
wth???

mikedrh

X3 - Needles & Seats

Should use only Genuine Mikuni "Viton" Tip N & S.

Almost any shop should be able to pressure test N&S to see if they are leaking.

racerxnet

If the carb has a seat with a rubber o'ring around it replace it. The o'ring has a tendency to shrink allowing fuel past the casting bore. 1 phillips screw to remove and pull the seat out of the bore. New needle and seats won't do a dang thing if there is leakage around the outer seat assembly. Would not hurt to replace those as suggested though! You can test the float by pressing your fingernail into the plastic. If it looks wet or oozes fuel where your nail mark is, it is junk.

New O'rings are about a nickle apiece.. I like to old style screw in seats of yesterday.

I'd just pull the carbs and inspect/rebuild as needed.

MAK

Last edited: