Above the Law...LOL

mezz

They showed the officer law enforcement identification cards, the arresting officer observed a badge for one of the two. They apparently were observed running several stop signs & crossed the hwy in front of a passing pick up.

SHOOT2KILL

I did not see the video
The video currently available is NOT the entire start to finish interaction between the 3 LEO's...It's already been edited multiple times...Just like it took 17 days for the arrests to be made public knowledge. Only because a local media person did her due diligence to uncover it...Next court date is 3-27-23...It will be an eye opening experience on how the Vilas County Prosecutor and Judge do business there...

Last edited:

SHOOT2KILL

Update...Both entered Not Guilty Pleas...Both got continuances...next court date 4-3-23...Other court date is 5-26-23

stormbringer

First case was dismissed by the Vilas County Prosecutors office....NOT GUILTY...LOL
Only partially correct. First violator was charged with OWI on snowmobile and the sign violations. He provided a breath/blood sample after his arrest, and that returned a result higher than permissible, and resulted in another citation for Operating with a Prohibited Alcohol Concentration. Wisconsin law breaks OWI in to two parts, actually operating while intoxicated, and operating with a prohibited alcohol concentration. Over whelmingly, when there is a reported alcohol concentration, both violations stand, but only one of the two violations is pursued, with the other charge always getting dismissed. Both violations carry the exact same penalty structure. This violator pled no contest to the Operate with Prohibited Alcohol Concentration, and as part of a plea agreement, the Operate while Intoxicated and the sign violations were dismissed. Exactly the way this plays out every day, in every county, for every violator. I am pleased that "professional courtesy" did not play out here.

The second violator is in different shoes, as he refused to submit to any chemical testing, so there is no Operate with a Prohibited Alcohol Concentration. He is, however, additionally charged with Failure to Submit to Chemical Testing, a separate violation with it's own penalty structure. In his case, based upon evidence (video of field testing, for example) he could be found guilty of both the OWI and the failure to provide chemical sample. What happens over whelmingly in these instances is a plea agreement transpires, pleading no contest/guilty to the OWI and the refusal gets dismissed. This is the one to watch to see how it plays out.

euphoric1

WOW! I know people make mistakes but excessive drinking and snowmobiling NEVER a good mix, and why alot of us drive defensively in worry of encountering this which is never good for anyone. Hopefully this will be a life lesson and not do it ANYMORE. This video should be shown at snowmobile safety courses. I know people disagree with me but there is NO need for EXCESSIVE drinking and snowmobiling!!! luckily no one was hurt.

stormbringer

here's the body camera footage incase you hadn't seen it.

Thanks for the video, had not seen it prior.

There isn't a deputy/officer around that enjoys doing what was done here-kudos to Vilas County for doing the right thing. It's not a position they want to be put in. On the other side, there shouldn't be any officer or deputy that acts in a way to put the law in this position. Error in judgement on their part.

dfattack

I only watched the first half of the video, but from what I saw they weren't really FULLY cooperating in the beginning. Without going back and reading the entire thread I thought I read some posts showing sympathy towards these officers. Almost like "it could happen to anyone" type of thoughts. After seeing the first half, my opinion of their behavior is worse than I than what I assumed in the beginning. Doesn't look like a mistake at all. Yes, they deserve a second chance but also deserve to be treated like anyone else. I do however think they should be held to a higher standard. After all they are the law and are respsonible for enforcing it...I think at all times, not only when on duty. Just my opinion. I know others will disagree. That's ok.

mezz

Doesn't look like a mistake at all. Yes, they deserve a second chance but also deserve to be treated like anyone else. I do however think they should be held to a higher standard. After all they are the law and are respsonible for enforcing it...I think at all times, not only when on duty. Just my opinion. I know others will disagree. That's ok.
It definitely was a stupid act on their part & I agree with your thoughts 100%. It was a bone headed move & they got caught in the act. They apparently don't know the definition of decorum. Hopefully they do now.

Last edited:

timo

The whole field sobriety test is just a sham. You could perform an Olympic routine perfectly and if the cops smell alcohol, look like your drinking your busted. No two ways about it. I didn't think these guys performed that bad really. Ride a sled for X amount of hours then try to stand on one foot with the other in the air for 25 seconds if full gear with boots,,,, it's not the easiest thing to do. They didn't seem wasted,, i've seen wasted they weren't that.

timo

Only partially correct. First violator was charged with OWI on snowmobile and the sign violations. He provided a breath/blood sample after his arrest, and that returned a result higher than permissible, and resulted in another citation for Operating with a Prohibited Alcohol Concentration. Wisconsin law breaks OWI in to two parts, actually operating while intoxicated, and operating with a prohibited alcohol concentration. Over whelmingly, when there is a reported alcohol concentration, both violations stand, but only one of the two violations is pursued, with the other charge always getting dismissed. Both violations carry the exact same penalty structure. This violator pled no contest to the Operate with Prohibited Alcohol Concentration, and as part of a plea agreement, the Operate while Intoxicated and the sign violations were dismissed. Exactly the way this plays out every day, in every county, for every violator. I am pleased that "professional courtesy" did not play out here.

The second violator is in different shoes, as he refused to submit to any chemical testing, so there is no Operate with a Prohibited Alcohol Concentration. He is, however, additionally charged with Failure to Submit to Chemical Testing, a separate violation with it's own penalty structure. In his case, based upon evidence (video of field testing, for example) he could be found guilty of both the OWI and the failure to provide chemical sample. What happens over whelmingly in these instances is a plea agreement transpires, pleading no contest/guilty to the OWI and the refusal gets dismissed. This is the one to watch to see how it plays out.
Thanks great explanation.

mezz

The whole field sobriety test is just a sham. You could perform an Olympic routine perfectly and if the cops smell alcohol, look like your drinking your busted. No two ways about it. I didn't think these guys performed that bad really. Ride a sled for X amount of hours then try to stand on one foot with the other in the air for 25 seconds if full gear with boots,,,, it's not the easiest thing to do. They didn't seem wasted,, i've seen wasted they weren't that.
Did you happen to notice the heel to toe walk, sketchy, especially the pathetic turn around after the first 9 steps, an arthritic 80 y/o could have done better. They should have been able to do a heel to toe about face if they were not excessively impaired. Plus they wreaked of alcohol. The arresting officer was more than patient & professionally polite. They were wrong, not only for their impairments, but how they conducted themselves to get stopped to begin with. They were both lucky it ended the way it did.