AC Thunder Cat modification

slimcake

Hey guys. I have a chance to buy a running ac thundercat for cheap 200 bucks. I am a polaris guy from day one so I know nothing about these machines. Would it be worth the money or would it just be a money pit?? I was thinking of moding the heck out of it and what not. What do you think??

mezz

For $200 bucks? I think I would. What year? I think this would make a sweet asphalt racer. I have ridden the 1000cc triple & let me say, what a blast! Triple digits across a heavily snow covered lake, makes my legs weak just thinking about it. Have any pic's?-Mezz

slimcake

I gonna go look at it tonight. I will try to get a better idea of what it is. Ya I can't wait for winter!!! How durable are the triple ac motors?? Damn I don't know what is better my new Poo Rush or the triple digit speeds that this thing could be capable of....

handiman

slimcake - It's a snowmobile, so it's going to be a money pit anyway. Many of us sledders can't help ourselves when it comes to putting money into a fun project/hobby that this may turn out to be.
Unless it's a pile of junk, I'd go for it.
They named it 'Thundercat' for a reason...

lvr1000

I have owed a '93, '96 and still own a tweaked '98. I also had a 2000 Pantera with the 1000cc triple. Sold it with 23,000 miles and it still ran like a champ. Never touched the engine on any of them.

What year? '98 had the most potential. '99 they redesigned the air intake and they ran fat, Cat upgraded if you bitched enough.

ezra

eaven if it is a pile of junk it is worth over 1000 in parts.I have a few buds who still run thunders that are verry strong.shave the head port the <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> out of the case and jugs way advance timing 2 in spacers in the shocks move skid mounts to back holes power breather 60lb shot of nos 110 octane clutch work not many guys will keep up.the best part is swap parts are getting cheep fot the t cats.I picked up a set of 1300cc billit jugs and heads for under 300 last winter just sitting around watting for a tcat project some day