Aftermarket silencer/can

brown50rn

Does anyone know how strict the Police are in th UP in reference to aftermarket cans. I am going to order the quietest can I can find. I dont like loud pipes and agree that they are annoying. I am just looking to loose a little wieght, have a different sound and be able to check the chain case without removing the stock exhaust. 09 800r renegade. Thanks in advance.

900RMtanK

I've ridden in 6 different states and IMO U.P. has been the most strict.

All the silencers SLP sells are near stock decibels and IMO would be the best choice for your sled.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
SLP is probably your best bet for quietest. 3 years ago we were stopped in the U.P. by Gratiot Lake Road, DNR was checking for trail permits and registration. We had 4 SLP cans, and one Skinz Ultra Q, and none of us were questioned about them. 2 years ago while out in Togwotee we were riding with a group of guys from Il, I had opened my hood for some reason, and one guy was surprised to see I had a can on mine, he said it sounded stock.

harvest1121

I have an 800r also. I checked into a can also but everything I read said you lost hp with the a can. I believe they call it a stinger in them that will reduce the hp without a stock can. I bought a spring tool ( a slotted screw driver) and it just takes a few minutes to take off.

srt20

Im glad you dont want a loud can. I have a SLP pipe and can on my sled. It is very quiet and I have never been questioned. But it does sound nicer. The dynos say it has less power with the SLP can than stock, but I like the way it sounds.

mjkaliszak

There is some good info on Aaen's web site regarding their can & Can & pipe or pipe combos. They are not claiming a HP - torque loss. I just sold a " Aaen Trail Quiet " can from a rev 800 set-up to another Doo Talk member. Even told him he could return it if there was a problem. Just out of curiosity, I hooked it up to my 800XP it did not sound bad, I'm also looking for a 800 XP can and might lean towards the Aaen. It would be great if we could find a You Tube thread that tested all of them and then found an independent source like " Dynotech" to do the testing. The mountain sled pipes & cans are tricky due to the changing in elevation. I do like the can ( Aaen ) I have on 07 800XRS, I just havent been able to decide on what for the XP. Some of the cans that meet the DB levels have their packing blow out quickly. Can't remember which ones but that is what I picked up on in some other forums. You might want to stay away from the " JAWS " & " JT " cans they are too loud.

brown50rn

Thanks for the input. I read alot of threads on dootalk and the one from MBRP seems to be well liked. It was also high on the list for being quiet, but still having the deeper sound. The can from MBRP is claiming 2HP gain and 10 pound wieght loss. I am not that concerned about the HP. Its not a race sled and I dont think loosing 1 or 2 ponies would even be noticeable.

Last edited:

mjkaliszak

( IMO ) If you go can hunting and only expect to shed the weight and get a deeper sound ( that's they key to me - i hate that " tin knocker " sound ) you shouldn't be disappointed. There is alot of factors when something is dyno'ed, I make no claims for the can manu's. Bolt On HP is a myth..... I did like they way the Carbon Sled products can looked. As far as the pulling the " wheelie " clip ???? someone needs to act responsible. All that tells me is.... there is another sled set up, by a retard.

ezra

was looking on dynotech tech 4 a can caparison.not allot on cans but as far as pipes for that sled CPI losses 3 hp on the top end but increases hp around 6800 to 7400 a few pony's.about the same with Aaen.the dyno port was the best 150.9 peek hp with the widest power band exceeded all pipes hp from 7300 to 8200.add the y pipe from bmp pick up 2peek about the same mid .add the dyno port add 3 with a stronger mid.the only can they tested with all the runs was stock and bmp the bmp never lost more than 1 hp.but on other doo 600 tests the dyno port was a clear winner.I dont want to sound like I am wearing my dynoport cherleading outfit and shaking my pom pos but on the doo tests I have looked over dynoport has the most constant results

polarisrider1

I have an SLP Can on my Pol. 755RMK and at idle to normal run speed it is not much louder than the stock. When at full throttle it is louder but not on a piercing frequency like some cans. DNR, State Police and County boys never an issue, just let off and putts by them. The can removed about 30#'s from front right side of sled. No HP added so SLP claims. But much lighter and sweet sounding.

polarisrider1

Im glad you dont want a loud can. I have a SLP pipe and can on my sled. It is very quiet and I have never been questioned. But it does sound nicer. The dynos say it has less power with the SLP can than stock, but I like the way it sounds.

Some sleds that add both the pipe and can from SLP need a reflash. You should not have less HP.

srt20

Some sleds that add both the pipe and can from SLP need a reflash. You should not have less HP.

Only for 07s. 08 and newer dont need a flash. I actually wanted it to try to lean the damn thing out alittle.

What I was trying to get at was, the slp pipe with stock can makes like 1-4 hp more than the slp pipe with slp can. The pipe itself does make more than the stock pipe.

polarisrider1

Only for 07s. 08 and newer dont need a flash. I actually wanted it to try to lean the damn thing out alittle.

What I was trying to get at was, the slp pipe with stock can makes like 1-4 hp more than the slp pipe with slp can. The pipe itself does make more than the stock pipe.

Good info, I did the SLP can to get the 30 plus pound heat creating suit case out from under the hood.

brown50rn

Good info! I ended up ordering the BMP full velocity. I heard good things about it and they told me that I will never have to get it re-packed or worry about it getting to loud due to it needing to be re-packed because of their baffle system. I kind of wish I would of paid for 40 more bucks to have it nice and shinny but I I got the all black one for 249.95 with free shipping off of their web-page. Thanks again and it was 70 degrees where I live yesterday, not good!!!