American or foreign owned hotels and motels

mebearman

Another post got me me thinking about this.

[What would you have done? (American made vs. China)

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are about things like buying gas and renting rooms if you had a choice between foreign or American owners would you consider one over the other?

polarisrider1

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are about things like buying gas and renting rooms if you had a choice between foreign or American owners would you consider one over the other?

No.

dcsnomo

How can you tell if the owner is foreign or American?

Remember, just like your ancestors, American citizens often have accents and have arrived here from other countries.

mebearman

My point was in reference to the other thread about American vs ???????

Don't you think that it is still about losing jobs to someone else if they keep buying up the gas stations and hotels and bringing in there own people to work. Let alone I would hate to see what kind of a helping hand big brother gives to them.

Just mumbling sorry

renten

Yes it does matter to me because we do a lot of traveling and when the hotels or motel that are owned by people from India or Pakistan are poorly run and filthy I feel like I have been ripped off. We got back from a trip where we stayed at a hotel that was owned by a family from India and even though it had a franchise name to lure you in, it was stinky and dirty. We contacted our credit card company and they helped us get a refund. After that I went on Google and punched in "motels with owners from India" and there was page after page of people commenting on this growing numbers of these "rat trap" hotels tricking tiered people with the franchise names coming off the Hwy to get a clean nights sleep. If you end up in a place like this, contact the corporate headquarters and your credit card. Maybe if enough people do this then we won't have to sleep in beds that have stained sheets and pubic hair in your bed and on the toilet rim.

Last edited:

snobuilder

YES...bein PC can F/O...Hope i never have to settle for the motel rooms described above....the restrooms in foreign owned gas stations (when the owners don't deny usage), are pitiful at best.

whitedust

Doesn't matter who owns motel or hotel walk if you don't like it. I walked many times no problems with refund at the desk & always can find a better place down the road. I also do the same thing with rates just keep moving down the interstate until I get clean room with reasonable rate. Don't be afraid to Uturn if room is a dump.

blutooth

1) I've been to plenty of citizen owned flea bag motels/hotels. Saying the citizenship of the building owner has anything to do with the quality of the stay is ridiculous. The location (see also foreign owned gas stations, i.e. these are the one's with glass counters), typical clientele, and support from the chain (if any) are much greater factors.

2) Many studies peg nearly half of all maids/housekeepers as being immigrant workers (and I would argue that hotels/motels being at the low end of that profession are the bulk of the immigrant percentage).

I travel a fair amount for work and when I am on the road I almost always stay at Holiday Inn Express. Why? They are almost all exactly the same. I know my room will be clean, there will be a coffee maker in the room with 2 packets of coffee and a free warm breakfast will be available every day. They are also owned by IHG - a British Company. At the same time each hotel is franchised to a local owner of that location. Does some of the profit go over seas sure, but a lot stays right there in the town I am staying in too.

Globalization is happening whether we want it to or not. It doesn't hurt to help US owned companies, but IMO the most important thing that has to happen for our economy in the near future is US companies have to learn how to compete on a global scale. The faster they can do that, the faster we can start re-shoring jobs back to the US. It is starting already but we have a long way to go to bring the jobs back home. Protectionism is a short term solution to a long term problem.

End rant.

switch07

I also travel an extreme amount for my company, in fact I'm in Florida now at a Holiday Inn Express. We normally stay in HIE or Hampton Inn/Hilton for the same reasons, we know what to expect. Now I don't care who owns the property, where they are from, color of skin, or any other reason one can think of to not stay there, as long as they are friendly, and I have a clean room and bed. I have stayed at many properties with "American" owners and properties with so called "foreign" owners and have had equal problems with both. If its not up to the standards we expect we leave. I don't judge the hotel by who owns it, I judge it from how I am treated and how clean it is. That's my 2cents...