Any Good News on Condition?

bayfly

I am not in panic mode yet, but it would be great to hear of ANY positive news on conditions in the UP. Maybe the lack of snow has allowed the ground to freeze deeper? Or more trail work has been completed because of the lack of snow? Or a later start will allow for more grooming once things get going? Or there’s a strong correlation between later starts and more intense storms later in the season? I realize it’s only December 13th, and some years the start is much later. Several years ago (maybe 2012) we stopped at the Gay bar on December 30th and got caught in a downpour for our ride back to Calumet. The bartender gave us garbage bags to wear over our gear. There had been snow to ride that day, but not much left after that storm. I guess I’d rather wait and avoid a stutter start. Is there any good news to share? Looking for a pick me up . . .

mezz

No "Good" news as the current weather pattern looks to continue with roller coaster temps during the days. Todays temps are suppose to hit the mid 30's & suppose to get into the 40's Thurs & Friday under partly cloudy skies with temps to remain in the 30's Sat through Tuesday of next week. Chance of rain/snow mix to the central & eastern UP on Sat & Sun. No sign of anything meaningful by way of snowfall in the near future. The only saving grace at this point is the night time temps stay in the mid teens to 20's so the ground stays relatively firm. The down side to that is there are alot of icey spots on driveways, sidewalks & side streets. This one just may be an anomaly season, we'll have to see. Things can change quickly, it's happened before.

Last edited:

indy_500

Eastern UP snowbelts picked up 6-12" yesterday of lake effect North of M28. Mid 40's and rain by Friday so that will be lost.
What he said. Newberry, Seney, etc getting the goods but will likely be close to gone after the rain in the next few days…

bayfly

”You’re killing me, Smalls!” (Sandlot). Any glimmer of good news gets doused by a bad news forecast. Ugh. I’m gonna stick with the 6 - 12” North of M28 yesterday, and leave it at that. Thanks!