Anyone carry a first aid kit with them? Looking for options

lesledhead

I realize that in a severe situation on a sled, a first aid kit might not make a difference, but I always carry a small one in my backpack when flying around the country for my job, and I thought to myself the other day it would be a good idea to carry one on the sled. Just something for a cut or broken finger or something like that. Just curious if anyone else carries anything like this and what type of stuff you carry. I've even seen some online that have small flares or mini LED flashlights. Might not be a bad idea if you need to signal someone at night.

Tony

Cat600

I have thought about carrying a first aid, but never got that far. I do however carry a blanket, lighter, flashlight and some granola bars with my sled at all times in the tunnel bag.

ezra

in my pack I do have a fold of duct tape and 2 non stick pads/ silver blanket/ matches/travel size klenex[used that more than once when the turtels head was not going to waite to come out of the shell] multi tool.usualy a few/tagament/ vicoden/ flexeral/and a singel use script burn cream[never know when you got to tighten a doo y pipe] just in case.
but at minn I think 10ft of duct tape will close most wounds fix most busted parts and should be on every sled

lorna

We carry a small basic first aid kit on my sled. I purchased it at Target, I believe, for under $20. It came with items for cuts, bruises, 1st or 2nd degree burns and other basic items. We added several sizes of compression bandages (ACE bandages) which can be used to stabilize a broken bone or bad sprain if used with sticks or branches. I also carry Tylenol cold medicine and Motrin as well as a bottle of water. Often the water is frozen, but we also carry matches/lighter and a portable single burner Coleman stove, a can of fuel and a small camping style pan by which the water could be thawed if needed (not that snow couldn't be used....). Russ has the multi-tool needed to cut branches, clothing, etc on his sled in with the small set of tools he carries.

Oh, we also carry a LED flashlight in the bag 'o' tricks too. Russ has one attached to his helmet, too. I carry Kleenex in my back pocket of the coat. We also usually throw a few snacks in the bag, just to have on hand.

Last edited:

heckler56

I carry a kit that contains a general assortment of bandages, pads, tape, scissors, ointments & hot/cold pack. It is a kit Audi supplies with new vehicles.

mrsrunningbear

The Red Cross certification training we took with the snowmobile club for being a groomer driver changed some of what we carry now. Seems needing cpr, dealing with bleeding and broken bones are mostly what you will deal with out snowmobiling. We always carry these things and we feel it's very important! You never know what you will come across or what will happen

duct tape a must
rubber gloves
ace bandages
many gauze pads for bleeding
2 silver blankets
fire starter stick
matches, lighter
cpr mask
small fold up saw (hunting bone saw) just added the saw after the deer accident
2 flash lights - one with a red flashing warning light in case you have to leave it with the injured, also a small laser light to leave with someone
Knife
Aspirin, Benadryl and a few other assorted meds
wire
map of area riding (ya never know who might need it to get you help)

skutr

All of these are great. I've got a lot of the stuff and I'm going to add what I'm missing.

In addition to a small pen led flashlight I also carry a wind up led flashlight. There's also a couple dozen 10 inch zip ties and about 50 feet of parachute cord. Double or triple it and you can easily tow another sled

doo_dr

Don't think of it as a First Aid Kit. Think in Boy Scout terms "Readyness Pack". You carry for the environment you are in. Trail riding in the north woods requires a differnt set of items (cell phone, basic bandages/tapes/wipes, rope, duct tape, flashlight,etc..) Any thing you need to stabilize someone and/or make needed repairs to get you off the trail. Mountain riding- Pack for stabilizing and individual, digging out, and spending the night. Beacons, statelite phone, GPS, tarp, matches, strobe, flashlight, food, water, rope, etc.. The actual first aid kit should be more than a basic kit. Have something for making a splint, stopping heavy bleeding, some drugs to reduce pain and inflamation, etc.. You can't just grab your cell phone and call for help to meet you on the trail. I would consider my readyness pack to even include my TEK Vest. What you, or your group, will carry should be discussed so you are as prepared as much as possible.

doo_dr

I went through my "Pack" the other night
On my body:
Tek Vest
Sno Claw shovel/emergancy splint strapped to the back of my teck vest
Inside jacket holster pouch that holds:
2way radio
folding saw
Mini mag lite
multipurpose tool
survival match kit
15' parachute cord
small av probe
energy bar
small roll of elec tape w/ bandges inside

I have a great Sled Solutions tunnel bag that holds:
Sno Bunge
AV shovel
Large AV probe
Large Bone saw
2-20oz bottles of water
lunch and energy bars
pair of socks
fleece shirt
pair of gloves
Sno bunge sled strap w/ a couple beaners
Duct Tape
2 small survival tarps/blankets
First aid kit that includes:
std bandges and wipes
tourniquet pack
heavy bleeding pack
heavy duty tape
air pack splint
100' parachute rope

There are a couple other items and doubles but these are the main comp.

I also have a great h-bar bag that I carry some tools, GPS,weapon,food, water, and running board shovel in. All in all I carry 5 lbs on me and probably 10-13 lbs on the sled. I ride with a few others that carry comp gear so we are hopefully covered. It is definetly a challenge to be prepared and it seems you are always changing your Pack from different experiences.

Last edited:
Emergency Warming Blanket

Each man in our group carries an emergency warming blanket with them. One of the guys in our group supplies them for ambulance and EMS. Good idea to have one in case of emergency or if you get stranded on the trail. They are medical grade and run about 30bucks each.

PM me if you're interested

fire126

Some of us do carry a basic first aid kit with some extra things we added. Most of the guy I ride with are firefighter paramedics and we hope that we never have to use it on a trip but if we would run into a situation, that person would get great care. Ride safe.

Team Fire Storm!!!
Think Snow!!!