Anyone else a little concerned about the forecast next week??

Sledhead!

John's forecast seems a little better than others as far as the temps, but from what am seeing from other weather spots, the UP will see a week with highs above 35 and a few days in the 40's!!!

I am hoping like all the rest of you that this is not going to become a reality. Where I live they are showing 50's. 50's in the middle of January, I might have to pull the bike out, at least I can ride something......hope this is just a bad dream!

IOWASLEDDER

I'm just as concerned! I'm suppose to come up to Houghton next Saturday the 21st for the week. I told my buddy this morning the trip is on hold. I wanna see what happens with the weather next week. Looks to be a last minute decision.

rev07

I am keeping fingers Crossed tight-ER-WI 1/26-/28-Buddy flying in from Florida and rental sleds reserved. WD what say you?

old abe

I hear ya! We're due to leave for a week up there and my mind is rolling with the forecasts thru next week. We're going and will deal with it what ever it will be. Wis finally got some wide spread good snow, and doesn't look as if it will last long??? Sucks!!!

timo

the UP will be fine they got a 150 inches on the ground. it's the places in northern wis. that have only 20 inches that will feel it. me down here in se wis. don't matter.

upbarleyboy

It's the unfortunate part of the roller coaster winters lately. I don't remember these kinds of fluctuations when I was a kid. We were buried in snow from hunting season til the end of March in Northern Wisconsin. Maybe it's because as a kid, it was playtime all the time, so it just seemed that way. We finally have really good snow coverage from Portage County and north, and it's going to take a hit for sure. Especially when we're looking at a week long spell of above freezing temps. Lots of things in life we have control over, but the weather is one we just have to be willing to take what mother nature dishes and be ready to ride when it hits. Planning trips long term is getting harder and harder. With that said, we are heading up to the Minocqua in a few hours to ride for the weekend, than another trip planned up to the Hurley area 1/25-1/29. Can only hope this warm spell is just a blip, and winter returns the week of 1/23 as JD mentioned is very possible.

I'm getting bummed out with this weather. Supposed to head to Eagle River the 26-29 and that won't happen unless the storm John is hinting at happens after the warm up. Canceled two trips last year and can't ride here in N Illinois. I ask myself year after year why I stay in this sport.

tman

Heading up to Boulder Junction on Monday for the week, won't have to pack the super warm gear it looks like. Think positive and have some fun is the theme.

Sledhead!

Good points, I think Northern Wisco and such will get hurt the most. UP has boat loads of snow and can lose a few inches and still be OK. Might not be ideal champagne powder rolling over your hoods, but you'll be snowmobiling and having much more fun then those of us who are not!

My trip is planned for Feb 8-12, hoping winter returns and dumps some more white gold up there and the cold sticks around. My only trip of the year (which sucks) so I am going regardless. Hope you boys that are going next week still go and have some fun.

I will for sure be interested after this warm up what that does the Gogebic, I'm assuming not much but sounds like it could be ripe for laying those nasty slush tracks from 4 wheeler's that when frozen makes sledding over not so bueno!

jebjk1

the UP will be fine they got a 150 inches on the ground. it's the places in northern wis. that have only 20 inches that will feel it. me down here in se wis. don't matter.

150 inches on the ground? Looks like less than 36 inches.
Besides the trails only have a few inches on them.
Snap14.jpg

timo

ha haa,,,

Its called settling.
Where that picture is they had 95 inches on the ground on 1-5 per Krupps snow report that day. They got near 150 inches by now. They got 36 inches just last week.

and there is quite a bit more than a "few inches" on the trials.

View attachment 55518

tnehlsen

Warm up like this keep the ice away in the big Lake? Maybe it will keep lake effect guns loaded for a longer season hopefully.

sweeperguy

View attachment 55518

Sandy has posted that snow has been driven by wind away from Kruppy and down the hill. So actual snow depth is greater than what Kruppy's measure shows.
Also settling as timo posted affects difference between snowfall amounts, and snow depth.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guess I'll take a weekend off from riding, and come back up after the thaw. Probs should spend a weekend at home with my wife eh? Lol.

- - - Updated - - -

The official season snowfall in Twin Lakes is 140 inches as of this morning.

frnash

"150 inches on the ground"? Not hardly! No way, no how.

Take John's stats for example, as shown on the AL Cam page as of 9 am today (January 13, 2017):
New Snow in the Past 24 hours
2.5″
Snow Cover at 9 AM36″
Season total to date168″

<tbody>
</tbody>

Where the "Season total to date" is the sum of the daily accumulation as measured each day (24 hours).

Well of course there is "settling" (Timo: "Its called settling."). There is settling each day, each hour, each minute, yielding at any time a considerably smaller "Snow Cover" on the ground. Or, as on John's "Historical Weather" page, where the "24hr snow" and "depth" for each day is shown. (Note that there has not been a single day thus far this season with the "depth" greater than 38 inches.)

Believe what you will, your opinion notwithstanding, the sum of the daily snowfall numbers over time does not represent the current depth of "snow on the ground" (except perhaps on the first measurement). This is a science; there are standards for "snow measurement", as shown in these (click →) NWS Snow Measurement Guidelines (PDF). QED.

ridindirty800

Every year we get a January thaw, nothing new.

AMEN, it happens every year and next week everybody will be mad that there are people riding in the warm weather. And then it will cool down and snow and amazingly all will be good. I am not worried the least about trail in Northern Wi and U.P, i ride in March when people say trails are done and find great riding back in the woods. All the warm up will do is make going in and out of towns a little tougher.