Anyone Notice

SledTL

It seems like there is way less sleds and bikes being posted on CL in the past month. Wonder if people are holding onto stuff more than previously. Any data on sales figures from companies lately?

xcr440

Been very few of the specific sleds I look for since the middle of April. Lowest I've seen for sale, on the sites I check, in the last 4 years. I thought maybe everyone moved on to a different source, but as I have started checking other sites, I think you are on to something.

I know sales of NEW motorcycles and 4-wheelers have been very good this spring into summer.

whitedust

Went to Walmart yesterday to by some fishing gear and racks with rod / reel combos were empty. Breaks in the supply chain or everyone fishing and sold out? Picked up last bag of bobbers no jigs either. Idk but not encouraging to waste my time on stuff unavailable to buy.

scott_l

It seems like there is way less sleds and bikes being posted on CL in the past month. Wonder if people are holding onto stuff more than previously. Any data on sales figures from companies lately?

My personal thought is people are holding onto stuff “for another year” as there is a lot of uncertainty about the future economy. On the local news this morning they said 55% of people have had some kind of financial impact by the Covid (lay off, furloughed, pay cut, job loss). I am in that 55% luckily the wife has not been affected yet.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Went to Walmart yesterday to by some fishing gear and racks with rod / reel combos were empty. Breaks in the supply chain or everyone fishing and sold out? Picked up last bag of bobbers no jigs either. Idk but not encouraging to waste my time on stuff unavailable to buy.

Brother in-law owns an fishing/hunting store in downstate MI. Said all his suppliers are months behind in filling his orders. On the upside, once he was able to re-open, he was having business like he never saw before. Having weekend sales equal what some of his weekly sales were in the past. His biggest worry now is running out of inventory. Getting close to selling a seasons worth of inventory in two months!

-John

600_RMK_144

Agree that FB Marketplace is the best source now days, but even there its pretty slim IMO. I have been looking closely since about April and would agree that there is not much out there. Hoping this Fall things will pick back up --- Just don't want to pay a premium going into the season. Still gotta sell my sled, but hoping to get into an Axys before next season. I'm pretty picky and want something with low miles (-1000). Everything I have seen posted is 2500+ miles or a longer track than what I need. Add in that I'm hoping for a 600 rather than an 800 and it's about impossible to find. They have really gotten away from the 600 in the Mtn. sleds.

xcr440

Agree that FB Marketplace is the best source now days, but even there its pretty slim IMO. I have been looking closely since about April and would agree that there is not much out there. Hoping this Fall things will pick back up --- Just don't want to pay a premium going into the season. Still gotta sell my sled, but hoping to get into an Axys before next season. I'm pretty picky and want something with low miles (-1000). Everything I have seen posted is 2500+ miles or a longer track than what I need. Add in that I'm hoping for a 600 rather than an 800 and it's about impossible to find. They have really gotten away from the 600 in the Mtn. sleds.

There's a 2017 600 Switchback in Stanley, WI - but it doesn't state the miles, asking $8500.

2 and 3 years ago, I bought a 2016 800 Switchback both years, one with 450 and one with 800 miles, paid $7000 for one, and $7400 for the other. There is one of the exact same sleds for sale this year in Hugo, MN with ~5000 miles, asking $8500 - Perhaps the lack of selection is driving up the prices??

jonesin

I was thinking the same thing with trailers, been watching and waiting for a good deal on 5-6 year old but they rarely pop up and are sold instantly, all I see are new ones

whitedust

Brother in-law owns an fishing/hunting store in downstate MI. Said all his suppliers are months behind in filling his orders. On the upside, once he was able to re-open, he was having business like he never saw before. Having weekend sales equal what some of his weekly sales were in the past. His biggest worry now is running out of inventory. Getting close to selling a seasons worth of inventory in two months!

-John

Thanks John that verifies what I suspected fishing is a high interest activity during the Covid onslaught and the supply chain of fishing gear either is broken or can’t keep up with the demand. I sure hope suppliers can ramp up the supply chain.

euphoric1

-John

Ditto here at my shop as well, VERY BUSY, manufacturers are really struggling to provide product for almost 2 months we have been unable to order walk behind mowers, zero turns and our hand held line is also now falling way short of expectations. Our mower line we sell parts delivery has been less than stellar, availability and delivery of correct parts, to a point where it boggles the mind because the only excuse for it is people just don't give a crap, a company that once had a 98% fill rate. One day I had enough and picked up the phone and was explained that their system, why in the world would you change an almost perfect system??? then the truth came out and I quote..." you know we have this covid thing going on" I then lost it and said that is just a BS excuse!! Worried about running out of inventory? We have, I am a 2 line store and at best I can get only 20% of what they have to offer which really ties my hands behind my back, I just hope we have learned our lesson because now we are paying for it.

mrbb

maybe a lot of folks know that so many out of work and not spending money as they would normally, are holding off listing things
till times are more back to normal

and I also think a LOT of sellers anymore are sick of low ball offers so many do on places like craigslist and so on, I can only imagine the offers that would be made now with all the crap going on!

chunk06

I will also add that Craigslist is dead and that more people are using Marketplace. Slim pickings on almost everything, I have about had it walking into a store to get something that is always stocked only to find out they are out. Bicycles, kayaks, and weight lifting equipment is really hot. If anyone has weights or weightlifting equipment unused taking up space now is the time to get rid of it for a decent price. The New car dealers near me are empty! you would almost think there is one of those big tent sales going on somewhere. I was considering a new truck this year, but i doubt that will happen now. the exact opposite is happening that people thought with the Covid, people are buying. I sold my RZR a few weeks ago for what i paid for it new a year ago.

indy_500

the exact opposite is happening that people thought with the Covid, people are buying. I sold my RZR a few weeks ago for what i paid for it new a year ago.
Agreed. The housing market has NOT slowed down with the virus... any house halfway decent is sold in a day. My house was online less than a day before I had an offer I accepted, the house I am in the process of buying was online for 6 hours before 10 people came to look and just about every single one put in an offer. Crazy! Also pool stuff is extremely hard to come by these days, which makes sense as a lot of local pools are shut down so parents want one at home.

jonesin

i went to cabellas last night and you are right, lures, hooks, etc is slim pickings, shelves are bare...
2 months ago I was gun shopping and was there looking, bought somewhere else but I couldnt believe how few pistols were left last night, whole under counter racks are now empty, there are some but be ready to pay $$$

xcr440

To piggy back on indy’s pool comment, my buddy who builds pools has been working 7 days a week sun up to sun down since the first of April with finally a weekend off this coming one - because he needs a break - been non-stop and he has 10 people waiting for him to get to them. He’s hoping for an early winter and it’s only June.

1fujifilm

To piggy back on indy’s pool comment, my buddy who builds pools has been working 7 days a week sun up to sun down since the first of April with finally a weekend off this coming one - because he needs a break - been non-stop and he has 10 people waiting for him to get to them. He’s hoping for an early winter and it’s only June.

This is true in Green Bay too, just try to find a pool.
What nobody has mentioned is rather than traveling, people are spending money at home where it is safer to have fun.

Bear

slimcake

In the market for a convertible. Got checking around and there are NO DEALS to be had. Huge auto group that has like 7 locations told me its not the time to buy. He said between all the locations they have less than 10 new pickups available. He said they usually have a couple hundred. Shoulda just bought the damn mustang I had a chance at.... Oh well...