Anyone ride in West Yellowstone?

tomk

Just seeing who rides in west yellowstone, where do you ride when your out there? who rides back country, what are your favorite establishments, that kind of thing...

We go out there every year between christmas and new years this is our third year, we try to ride back country but we have barely scratched the surface of where we can go, we also love the girls at the happy hour!!

This year we are going to try riding mainly around hebgen mtn, anyone rode there or have any secrets they want to share?

Last edited:

polarisrider1

Just seeing who rides in west yellowstone, where do you ride when your out there? who rides back country, what are your favorite establishments, that kind of thing...

We go out there every year between christmas and new years this is our third year, we try to ride back country but we have barely scratched the surface of where we can go, we also love the girls at the happy hour!!

This year we are going to try riding mainly around hebgen mtn, anyone rode there or have any secrets they want to share?
nope

We have a Family ( 3 family's ) trip set for the day after X - mas 1'st time for Me ! We are doing a guided tour in the park the first day and 3 days out side the park love to here about any info about outside the park . Do U think We should get a guide or just go on are own thanks p.s Night life for the dads !

tomk

I dont think you will need a guide, the trail system out there is very good, very similar if not better than in the mid west, take the fam up to the top of two top mtn, horse butte, see big springs, there is also alot of good riding in island park idaho, just south of west. you will have alot of fun out there. not sure on night life we stay across from the happy hour on hebgen lake so that is as far as we need to go!

We will be out there the same time! what should I look for on the trails?

Hey Tomk

We are staying at the Days Inn in West Yellowstone ( so the Kids can have the pool ) and renting sleds out there, so I won't have mine

Attachments

• mi19.jpg
    mi19.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 85

tomk

hopefully you are still getting a long track, there is still alot of play areas off of the big trails, two top has some good areas on the way up and around the top that the wife and kids can even handle.

if you can sneak off for a day let me know, always room for a dee'er in our group

Last edited:

ezsnow

We did the park back before you needed guides, 4 strokes and whatnot. I was 16 or so at the time. Everyone told us not to bother, it's a wasted day of riding, it's boring, there's not all that much to see, etc, etc, etc. We did it anyway, and in 6 subsequent trips, have had no desire whatsoever to do it again. It was a painfully agonizing day of watching your speed, staying on the trail, and just generally minding "P's and Q's" with very little payoff in the way of sights to see. THEN you had to ride back out... I've never been on a trail that was that whooped-out. (that's where painful came in)

Now, you have to pay extra $$ for a 4-stroke and extra $$ for a park certified guide. Not to mention that I'm sure they are watching sleds closer than ever. Everyone seems to feel the need to do it at least once, but don't say nobody warned you.

If you are going to spend the coin on a guide, put the money to good use and find one that can take you out into the backcountry to show you some untracked snow. It doesn't have to be steep to be fun, and your guide will tailor the challenge to your group.

skidooking

2 yrs ago

We went 2 yrs ago, rented sleds out of Yellowstone Adventures. They were excellent, the nephew went to school at Montana State in Bozeman, and had been riding there a couple times before we went. He was our guide, the trails were excellent, they provide a grooming report on paper daily, make use of that, there is plenty of traffic and they doo bump up later in the day on your way back. We rode the Madison Arm, Lion Head, Two Tops, (where the snow ghosts are)Horse Butte, Black Bear cuttoff, South Plateau, BPA Powewrline, and had plenty of off trail opportunities with varying snow depths of 15" - 3 feet of powder depending on the area you were in. Be sure to rent Avalanche Beacons and probes if you plan to do any off trailing. We made West Yellowstone our base, it worked out pretty well. Gas stops are clearly marked on the maps they provided. Island Park, Phillips, and Elk Creek were our fuel stops. If you have not experienced this before West Yellowstone is excellent. If you want to tour the Park, there is a speed limit, they limit the number of sleds in the park a day, you must have a guide with you, and have to rent a 4-stroke sled. Stay at the Stage Coach Inn right next to Yellowstone Adventures Sled Rental. We are planning a trip to the Snowies for next year!

tomk

Just got back, low snow conditions until thursday night, then the big dump happened! friday there was so much snow we had to clean out our intake foam every 20 minutes!! tons and tons of fresh untouched pow! awesome week of riding regardless, saw some cool stuff, explored alot of sweet back country. cant wait to comeback next year, or maybe this spring...hmmm

renegade600

We are headed to West yellowstone for the first time week of 2/6...getting really pumped....(1) day in the park, then (3) days on rented Summits......can't wait.

tiezer

Hey tomk, what do you know about the Big Sky trail? We're heading out once again on Feb. 3 with 7 guys. We're hoping to hit up some of the more unknown play areas aside from the norm around West Yellow. Any suggestions for some experienced riders?

01edgex6

Riding this weekend

I just landed in Bozeman and am on my way to West Yellowstone. We'll be renting and riding Saturday through Monday, I'll post some updates as possible. This is my first time riding in this area, and I'm looking forward to it.

RMKrick

I'll be out there from Jan 1 threw the 10th gonna be going out to some hidden spots that some friends found last yr hopfully gps dont get us lost.Bring extra can of gas sleeping over night out there sucks.Gonna be trying out a new mod hope she stays togeather lol

unchained

I just landed in Bozeman and am on my way to West Yellowstone. We'll be renting and riding Saturday through Monday, I'll post some updates as possible. This is my first time riding in this area, and I'm looking forward to it.

Where did you fly in from and what charter arrangements to West Yellowstone from Bozeman did you make, etc, etc, package deal?