Are trails being refreshed enough

euphoric1

Has the U.P. been receiving enough snow to keep trails refreshed and not turn to sugar crystals in the high traffic areas? Looks like we have been denied completely the storm we all had our fingers crossed for down here in S.E. Wisconsin, stuck under that bubble once again...FRUSTRATING!

goofy600

From what I have seen high traffic areas are starting to struggle holding up to grooming. Mornings better than afternoon when traffic hits them. Less traffic areas holding up way better but we definitely need a god refresh of good snow not the fluffy lake affect stuff.

pclark

From what I have seen high traffic areas are starting to struggle holding up to grooming. Mornings better than afternoon when traffic hits them. Less traffic areas holding up way better but we definitely need a god refresh of good snow not the fluffy lake affect stuff.
In my area it is the same, I completely agree.

goofy600

One other thing I would add is the lake affect areas have been getting the extra snow so have a little more to work with.

SledTL

Anyone been around Bldr Jct? Have something planned for the 18th, and not gonna drive to ride in snirt, did that last year. Don't think you can make a foot of snow last for weeks on end no matter how good you are with the amount of traffic that area sees.

pclark

I rode around BJ, Presque Isle, Lando last week, I live over in Manitowish Waters, It was good during the week, rough on the weekends. Snirty in and around the towns as you would expect it to be. We need snow (6" would put us in really good shape) but I see none in the immediate forecast. You have a good 15 days in February for it to snow and I think it will so I wouldn't pull the plug just yet.

goofy600

I just drove through Boulder this morning and with fresh groom every road crossing along hwy B and hwy M everything looked awesome even the trail along 51 around Arbor Vitae looked fantastic I really was wishing I was on sled instead of in truck. I was surprised how good it looked but yes snow would definitely help. And like pclark said you have time.

Tim in Indiana

I'm in Presque Isle and spent the last couple days in the UP north of Bergland. There's a huge difference between PI, Boulder Mannitowish Waters and the area north of Bergland. UP was decent once you got north of Bergland. South of the lake there simply isn't enough good snow to groom well and get things to hold up. It doesn't take much traffic to mess things up.

Northern Vilas county has even less snow to work with. We need 6"-12" but I don't see it in the forecast.

snobuilder

yea, both clubs that come through the area near me have got the trails groomed and looking great for over a week now. They still look good ....probly so good they didn't want to ruin them by actually opening them up. Tomorrow will take care of that.

indy_500

I’ve been riding Shawano and Oconto Counties every weekend for the past month with no regrets. Sounds crazy the amount of complaints of garbage trails from traffic and no fresh snow when the snow depth is double farther north, but I guess that goes to show what less traffic does for trails… Been one heck of a chitty winter so far, sure hope old man winter wakes the he11 up before spring!

wisco-mb

I’ve been riding Shawano and Oconto Counties every weekend for the past month with no regrets. Sounds crazy the amount of complaints of garbage trails from traffic and no fresh snow when the snow depth is double farther north, but I guess that goes to show what less traffic does for trails… Been one heck of a chitty winter so far, sure hope old man winter wakes the he11 up before spring!
I was up in Oconto county last weekend. Stayed in Oconto Falls with some family. We mostly rode the southern part of the county. I was able to ride out of their house to avoid trailering. I was surprised how well those trails were. Little thin by Stiles and Lena, but got better the more north you got. I assume the south gets less traffic then north, so there was hardly any moguls. My boy(2.5 years) got his first full day in(110 miles), so we had a blast!

I’m sure those trails will take a good beating after today’s warm temps….

attakman

the answer to the question...is NO (at least for north central Wisconsin)...heaviest traffic I have seen in years up here..snow pounded to sugar with snirt in most high traffic areas...haven't had any decent snow fall in 2 weeks, and none in the forecast for the next week...not looking promising at all, after a pretty good start