Arrow signs vs Turn-arrow signs in Wisconsin

united

In Wisconsin, our DNR signing book says the Turn Ahead sign is BEFORE the corner and the turn Chevron is in the actual corner.

Agree. But the issue is not with the Chevrons (at least I hope no one is using Chevrons anywher other than in a turn / curve).

The issue is with the 12 X 6 Rectangle diretional arrow signs vs. the 12 X 12 Diamond turn ahead arrow signs.

groomerdriver

Agree. But the issue is not with the Chevrons (at least I hope no one is using Chevrons anywher other than in a turn / curve).

The issue is with the 12 X 6 Rectangle diretional arrow signs vs. the 12 X 12 Diamond turn ahead arrow signs.

I'm missing something here (nothing new). Can you show me a pic of the 12 x 12 diamond arrow and please restate what your thoughts are?

united

I'm missing something here (nothing new). Can you show me a pic of the 12 x 12 diamond arrow and please restate what your thoughts are?

The diamond arrow picture is shown in post #20 (rightturn.jpg), along with the square chevron. We need a picture of the 12 X 6 rectangle arrow to clear it all up.

It's the border shape of the sign, a stop sign has 8 sides and is an Octagon. Some trails are using the diamond outline signs and the rectangle outline signs incorrectly.

And are some trails in WI not using turn ahead arrow signs at all, or did I read that incorrectly?

Swampy

Yeah, I don't think you get it. What signs are you using to indicate turn ahead?

Let's keep it simple for now, as the original post says diamond shaped arrow signs before the turn and rectangle shaped arrow signs at / in the turns. Any questions?

Ah . . . Yeah, I get it United. I was just saying that whoever put up the new signs on our trails when they changed from the orange arrows to the yellow caution corner and direction arrows did it wrong and now we're trying to do it right and it takes time.
I might have been drinking or something when I posted that and didn't explain fully. I'll never drink again. Pass the Beer Nuts!!

bearrassler

I have not ridden in Wisconsin for decades, but I do sign trail in both ND and MN and both of those states have different signing guidelines, as it also looks like WS and MI do. All of the state associations are members of the ACSA, wouldn't it be great if they could have a national signing guideline so that if you ride in different states the signing would all be similar.

united

Roger that Swampy. I think I made the waters muddy. I like the way the WI trail / sign handbook has the trails marked.

Hoosier

I don't get the issue. Don't drive faster than what you can see on the trail. Try trail riding in Wyoming and see how much guidance the signs give you. Or if you need all the guidance, maybe stick to what you can ride on paved roads.

united

Well if you don't get it, you don't get it. If you don't care the trails are improperly marked, why comment? Some people do care if the trails are properly marked regardless if you can navigate them or not.

Last edited:

united

By the way, I don't know how this is beating a dead horse. I don't recall discussing arrow signs in the past. Maybe I missed a thread again?

timo

By the way, I don't know how this is beating a dead horse. I don't recall discussing arrow signs in the past. Maybe I missed a thread again?

the beating the dead horse he's referring too is the incomprehensible personal vendetta he has against whitedust. don't ask me why,,,just saying...

and yes you must of missed last years 35 page thread on this topic.

snobuilder

Rode the UP mostly this year. Totally happy with there sign removal.
WI needs to follow suit....I swear there are some areas that just make you LOL with all the unecessary signage.

As far as proper signage, I am probably as guilty as anyone who marks trails every year without proper training of what type a sign goes where.
We work with the volunteers that show up that day and do our best to point out hazards such as sharp turns etc with the signs we have at our disposal..

90s

although the thread has been beat to death, I'd like to add my 2 cents worth. Chevron: To be placed IN the apex of the turn, minimum of one; or as many as the trail design demands, if the chevron is used--it is ALWAYS preceded by the advance placement of the appropriate caution sign--the right angle turn, hair pin, or slow curve. The chevron is not to be placed in advance of the turn--it does not replace the arrow. The arrow--yellow/black 6x12, is to be place In advance of the turn on the right side of the trail--pointing left or right. I would like to see WI adopt the MI size arrow(12x16). Caution/caution ahead--a very misused sign in WI--if used, the sign should be followed by the appropriate caution sign--bridge, dip, etc. Although the signing handbook is only a few pages, most don't bother to read it. the reason for the book is to establish uniformity in signing through out the state.

gruff

Sign them just like the roads, everyone drives the roads, and will know what the signs mean and how they are placed.
we sign lots of trails and this is how we do it, and over kill with the signs, but there are some clubs out there that still use the faded old orange diamonds with a black arrow in a corner with no warning, Drive Safe.