Attack against snowmobilers hits Michigan

G

G

Over in Mn we have the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. This is a lot larger than the area this man is proposing. If you get caught in the BWCA with any mechanized toy you are in deep doo doo. This was set up long ago and there are no snowmobile trails through it. I guess if we never had it in the first place we don't really miss it. If they take away some Mich trails that would be a little different. However you are right in that with every little victory these folks get they gather more steam.

ezra

a spokes person from min usa was talking about that case at our last club meeting and that is just the tip of the iceberg. all I know is if you voted for hope and change you should have your motorized toy privileges revoked for life.the stories are scary about what is going on behind what were open doors but now locked with no so called outsiders allowed

longhair

Over in Mn we have the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. This is a lot larger than the area this man is proposing. If you get caught in the BWCA with any mechanized toy you are in deep doo doo. This was set up long ago and there are no snowmobile trails through it. I guess if we never had it in the first place we don't really miss it. If they take away some Mich trails that would be a little different. However you are right in that with every little victory these folks get they gather more steam.

HMMM the 70s and the early 80 the still ran some motors in the bwca And theres still some bad blood.

mjkaliszak

I have nothing good to say about this without going political. ( treehugginggoatrodeoowlsavingleftwingliberalmedia ) and on and on..... Oops

brent

we did have it,and we do miss it.

G

G

we did have it,and we do miss it.

If you live by the BWCA you probably know better. Over here in my part of the state the grant-in-aid trails didn't really get started until the middle to late '80's. I do know that if you want to ride a snowmobile from - say International Falls to Grand Marais - you have to loop down south of Ely to do it. Either that or cross the border into Canada which presents a whole new set of problems. I am sure at one time it was possible and there were established trails that went across the BWCA. But they were never Grant-In-Aid DNR Trails.

dognvenus

My little contribution to the 'Environment Blog':

SO...I guess its about time to to place a 'fee' in the form of a snowshoe 'permit' for the purpose of using a snowshoe trail in NF. And while we're at it, a 'permit' sticker on those looking glasses around your neck for bird watchn'. Thats right...nutn's free anymore. We snowmobilers pay for our use, time for the rest of you to know what its like.

Dog

beakjones

Yay motors!

As a biker and xc skier, I happen to enjoy silent sports too. I think some people here are juuuuust a little bit close minded about things. I take it everyone is against the estivant pines in copper harbor?

fcat700

Yay motors!

As a biker and xc skier, I happen to enjoy silent sports too. I think some people here are juuuuust a little bit close minded about things. I take it everyone is against the estivant pines in copper harbor?

As long as your xc ski and bike registration cost the same as my snowmobile registration I have no problem. Until then...well...enough said.

beakjones

As long as your xc ski and bike registration cost the same as my snowmobile registration I have no problem. Until then...well...enough said.

Complaining about $30 for 3 year registrations, huh? That's $10 a year pal. ****, I'd register my bike for that amount of money yea. I wouldn't register my xc skis, they're not a vehicle.

Do you want to complain about the trail permit too while you're at it? I mean, it goes directly into the trails that one group rides, but I'm sure you have a problem with it too, because there was once a dude on a bicycle, and you hated him for it...

chords

Daily Fee

Here in MI, some/most National & State Forest Pathways require a ~ $3 Daily self registration per vehicle. And only a few prob groomed.

5 - XC ski trips would equal $15 annual "permit"

beakjones

I'm registered in Michigan, $30 3/yr for me. I don't think another $5 per year would be the hump that breaks the camels back for me. I'm not anti-snowmobiling obviously... we own 5 of them.

fcat700

Complaining about $30 for 3 year registrations, huh? That's $10 a year pal. ****, I'd register my bike for that amount of money yea. I wouldn't register my xc skis, they're not a vehicle.

Do you want to complain about the trail permit too while you're at it? I mean, it goes directly into the trails that one group rides, but I'm sure you have a problem with it too, because there was once a dude on a bicycle, and you hated him for it...

Reread the post, never complained about my registration fees, never have, never will. My point was that some of the folks that want to band motorized vehicles are more than happy to accept government monies for their purposes that come from the registration of my motorized vehicles. Kind of ironic.

beakjones

Reread the post, never complained about my registration fees, never have, never will. My point was that some of the folks that want to band motorized vehicles are more than happy to accept government monies for their purposes that come from the registration of my motorized vehicles. Kind of ironic.

I see what you mean, and you have a valid point. As a mountain biker, I will say it's a pretty well knit community and most trail building is done by volunteers who are the bikers that ride them most often. Of course there are selfish people who don't put in any effort. I'm not sure what money comes from ORV registrations, probably not much. Also, most of our trails can not be ridden by ORVs, it would destroy them very quickly.

XC skiing, I do it because it's more fun than bike training in the winter and there's nothing like the outdoors. In my experience, XC skiers are uppity as Prius drivers! Polaris stickers on your car when you go XC skiing are SURE to get you comments... I'm gonna start recording encounters I swear...