atv lemon law ??

tourguide

I bought a new quad 4 weeks ago, it broke down on the 2nd day, and had to go back, broke down a week later and back to the dealer for 2 weeks, picked up friday and broke down again this weekend. Same probllem everytime, I took them a detailed repair order both times. Tired of being stuck on the trails with an unreliable quad. At this point I would like the mfg to take this thing back, anyone ever had this happen or any advice what to do? I've had several quads and bought a few new sleds but never any trouble like this.

jr37

In 1997 I had a sled that started on fire while I was riding it. I took it back to the dealer and told him I did not want it back, I wanted a new sled. It took two weeks, but I did get a new sled. There were no questions asked, the manufacturer just told the dealer I could have what ever I wanted as long as it didn't cost more than the original price.

catalac

I think the dealer should contact the company for you to find out what your options are. If they won't, then I would do it myself, and see what they say.
I had a friend that called Arcticcat, when he blew his motor just after the warrenty was up, and they ended up covering it.
So, don't give in till you get some action.

tourguide

This is a yamaha, been in for about 60 days now, the Michigan Lemon Law does apply to atv's.I've never had to use an attorney for anything, but Yamaha and the dealer I bought from wont do anything for me except"keep trying to fix it". So, on with lemon law.

This is a yamaha, been in for about 60 days now, the Michigan Lemon Law does apply to atv's.I've never had to use an attorney for anything, but Yamaha and the dealer I bought from wont do anything for me except"keep trying to fix it". So, on with lemon law.

What dealer?

jr37

Maybe a little threat about an attorney will help. If that doesn't help, maybe follow through with the threat. I am not one to push sueing someone at all, ( too much of that these days), but maybe it will come to that if they are not doing enough to rectify the situation. Good luck.

tourguide

Dealer is in St Helen..... They claim they cant duplicate my problem, but everytime I drive up there 180 miles one way, I end up broke down. Yamaha tells me they will only keep trying to fix it, thats all. Dealer told me they'd knock 10% off price I paid for bike only toward trade.I'm a pretty reasonable person, but I've wasted most of the fall going back and forth, 1,000 miles on my truck driving and its still not fixed. I found a good lemon law atty. and next week I am sending them the retainer fee. They say it should be over pretty quick and I should get total purchase price + atty fees back. I always try to support the mom and pop shops but in this case it backfired.

ezra

no lawyer buds?if not pay a lawyer to make some calls things will change quick once they start thinking about what this will cost them in attorney fees Court costs ect.but just some random guy from out of town who bought a 4x4 they will try to bs you all day that is cheep to free court is not and they know it.F em get what you payed for and go to totally Yamaha and start posting about your probs the big shots are on there watching and really dont wont or need the bad chat

polarisrider1

Don't bash on any site. If you lose for whatever reason, Yamaha has top gun Lawyers who will go after you for Libel. If it is the same one issue going wrong you will have a tough time with Lemon law. You need several non related problems with the 4x4 to get it to stick.

tourguide

It probably wouldnt bother me so much had Yamaha customer service responded to the few letters i sent them about the troubles I'd been having. The only guy at the customer help line tells me he has no boss, theres no one to talk to but him, and the only thing they will do is "try" to fix it. Meanwhile i go back and forth, cancel two riding trips and blow the whole fall while they "try" to fix it. They have replaced most of the fuel system short of the tank, and all the parts have to be ordered. They did get a replacment carb in 2 weeks, after they originally told me early January which was their way of helping out.. I work in a customer service business, so i understand to a point, but as of now I've only had the bike in my possesion a total of 11 days, i bought it the day after labor day. Oh well, as the old saying says, "buyer beware".

doo_dr

Buyer Beware!!!!

It probably wouldnt bother me so much had Yamaha customer service responded to the few letters i sent them about the troubles I'd been having. The only guy at the customer help line tells me he has no boss, theres no one to talk to but him, and the only thing they will do is "try" to fix it. Meanwhile i go back and forth, cancel two riding trips and blow the whole fall while they "try" to fix it. They have replaced most of the fuel system short of the tank, and all the parts have to be ordered. They did get a replacment carb in 2 weeks, after they originally told me early January which was their way of helping out.. I work in a customer service business, so i understand to a point, but as of now I've only had the bike in my possesion a total of 11 days, i bought it the day after labor day. Oh well, as the old saying says, "buyer beware".

This is a good statement but I really think it should be directed first to the dealer and 2nd to the manufacturer. I was in the adult toy business for 14 years (Boats, snowmobiles, ATV's, and motorcycles). My focus was customer retainage and manufacturer relations so I did see/hear alot of what you are feeling. I'm not saying this is happening to you but a good dealer will always focus as much on parts and service as he/she would on sales. If there are not cert's on the wall or as many mechanics as sales men you should beware. I have never dealt with a warranty department, or regional service rep, that did not want to go above a beyond thier duty to get people repaired and out the door. Now, they have their own strange way of doing it but the CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index) is very important so they shouldn't give up on you. Make sure that your dealer is diligent in his communication and information transfer to Yamaha. Ask the dealer for all of the mechanics notes and communications with Yamaha. If they are focused on your problem they will have several service tickets filled with notes. They had better. No one is going to remember everything that was done to this ATV since Labor Day. Ask them for all call log numbers from Yamaha. Ask the dealer to make a call to the regional service rep and have him get in contact with you. If there are any of these parts of the puzzle missing it is a good chance the dealer is dropping the ball and not yamaha. I am not accusing them but I can assure you that Yamaha has a file of every communication piece on your ATV and that is as much as they know.

Good Luck

I forgot to mention. Yamaha probably did not respond like you wanted if you did not reference a call # . This has to be started by a dealer and his ID #.

By the way, I never worked with/for Yamaha so this is not a plug for them.

Last edited:

xcsp

If you do go through under the Lemon Law, do you really need an attorney?

I went through the process here in WI with a truck a few years back and didn't need an attorney-ended up with a new truck and no money out of pocket.

tourguide

I have asked several times for a regional service rep at the dealer and with yamaha cust. service. Both keep telling me that this is all there is, i find it hard to believe as i run a commercial truck shop, if my regional rep got a call or letter like if been sending, i'd get a real good chewing from a bunch of corperate people and the customer would get very quick response/service. I know its been a hard to diagnose problem, but they've seen it themselves, the techs all seem to be competant, the dealer has mentioned all the things they've done without getting paid from mfg, but thats what happens when you become a dealer. In the beginning the dealer seemed to be trying, but i think they will only do now what yamaha ok's and is willing to cover, instead of just finding it, fixing it and keeping a good relationship.

doo_dr

Smoke them out!!!

I think I know how you can take the wheel back on this out of control car. Call a local dealer and ask them if they are willing to go to bat for you with Yamaha. Give them your VIN # and let them start a call/trouble ticket. Ask them to contact the local Yamaha rep and tell them your situation (It really doesn't matter if it is the same rep). From that you will be gettting a fresh pair of eyes on the situation and maybe a more determined attitude to find and make repairs. If they agree and Yamaha starts a new ticket, go get your ATV and every scrap of paperwork that the dealer has. Deliver it to the new dealer and let them try to diagnose the issue. Ask that they, or Yamaha, gives you updates every two days. While I can understand the dealers response of doing only what they are being paid for I think that response "SUCKS". In my dealerships these issues were top priority and we never let the warranty department or the rep off the hook until there was resolution. Arctic Cat warranty dept called me the Snapping Turtle. I would latch on and not let them go until the customer was satisfied or I thought they did the best they could with the situation. Either the dealer has you as a low priority or Yamaha doesn't understand your issue. Some mfctr's have warranty issue time clocks that will not let a unresolved issue lay around. The longer the issue, the more people are involved in finding and making repairs. I don't know if Yamaha does but it is worth asking. There may be a couple dealers reading this that may want to try to help you and add to their CSI with Yamaha. Either way, I think you should get it out of a low priority/dead situation in the first dealer.

tourguide

Nothing yet, I have a lawyer working on it now. Strangly enough i went to buy some trail permits from a Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki dealer near my work the other day, as I was leaving i stopped to look at a king quad and a grizzly sitting next to the door, the salesmen asked If he could help me, so I mentioned my yamaha/dealer problem, didnt mention any names, i asked the guy for info for the Yamaha territory rep, he told me sure they have one, my dealer however said theres no such thing, and Yamaha cust. svc said same thing. Attorney says yamaha will probably settle pretty quickly and I should be able to recover my atty expenses along with full purchase price. I'm not happy about doing this by any means, but I do intend to get what I paid for. As for the dealer, I dont have any need to visit them again, but wont trash them in public. I'll keep you posted.

eao

Chances are the Yamaha regional rep is not there to deal with the end user. He is there to push OEM products to the dealers. Even if he were, he would take the word of the dealer over a customer every time.

Power Sports OEM's have very poor customer support.

Last edited: