ATV riding in the Keweenaw

IOWASLEDDER

My wife and I have decided to take an ATV trip to the Keweenaw this summer. We come up on sleds once a year in January and would like to check it out in the summer and do some riding. I have a trail map from the Keweenaw ATV club. Doesn't appear to be a lot of trails open to ATV's but what places in the Keweenaw can we NOT get to? What places should we go to? I know the Keweenaw very well and have been coming up for years to snowmobile. We'll have 4 days to ride and plan on staying north of the bridge the whole time. Also, I assume all I need is a trail pass? My atv's are registered in Wisconsin. Thanks for the info!

D

Deleted member 10829

You may know this already, but plan it around black fly season. I'm not sure when it is, but someone will let us know. I've always wanted to do an ATV trip up there, but I'd have to rent. I'm interested to see how your trip goes. :)

IOWASLEDDER

You may know this already, but plan it around black fly season. I'm not sure when it is, but someone will let us know. I've always wanted to do an ATV trip up there, but I'd have to rent. I'm interested to see how your trip goes. :)
We're planning on coming up mid-August. All the locals I talk to say that it is awesome fun riding and we really need to check out the area in summer time. We're excited!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Blackfly season typically starts in late May or early June and runs through the rest of June. They would only be a problem on an ATV when you stop. Much like a mosquito.

Pretty much all the trails that act as snowmobile trails in the winter are also ATV trails in the summer, with a few exceptions.

Also keep in mind you will cover much less ground on an ATV in a day than on a sled. Average sled speed might be 50 mph, whereas average ATV speed is more along the lines of 20 mph.

-John

IOWASLEDDER

Blackfly season typically starts in late May or early June and runs through the rest of June. They would only be a problem on an ATV when you stop. Much like a mosquito.

Pretty much all the trails that act as snowmobile trails in the winter are also ATV trails in the summer, with a few exceptions.

Also keep in mind you will cover much less ground on an ATV in a day than on a sled. Average sled speed might be 50 mph, whereas average ATV speed is more along the lines of 20 mph.

-John
Thanks for the info! I realize Brockway Mountain is off limits and trail 3 looks to be the main artery. So if the trail isn't highlighted on the map it is still ok to ride? For example, the trail that goes to Gay from Lake Linden isn't highlighted. Just don't wanna veer down the wrong path and get into trouble.

radsrh

If you have an ATV trail map you have your answer. Follow the marked trails on your map and you will have no issues what so ever. It's a different world between winter and summer and I am sure you will fall in love with the green side of the Keweenaw also.

garyl62

I heard they will be checking for loud pipes this summer since so many guys with straight pipes on their Harleys bought ORV stickers last year.

The Mosquito

We're planning on coming up mid-August. All the locals I talk to say that it is awesome fun riding and we really need to check out the area in summer time. We're excited!
august Sept is the best time to ride! Barely any flies or Mosquitos at that time. There are tons of trail that are gorgeous. Some are the very same you would use for snow season. If youd like me to email you a photo of a trail map, my email is strawberryshelie@yahoo.com

m8man

Thanks for the info! I realize Brockway Mountain is off limits and trail 3 looks to be the main artery. So if the trail isn't highlighted on the map it is still ok to ride? For example, the trail that goes to Gay from Lake Linden isn't highlighted. Just don't wanna veer down the wrong path and get into trouble.

Gay to LL trail is closed in the summer... I live on the Gay/LL road and property owners gate off the trail in the summer and you can't get through. From what I've heard the Gay Bar is only accessible through Lac LaBelle now.
there are tons of areas to explore, and the one thing I've noticed over the years is that ATV speeds are slower than sleds, and most ATV gas tanks are smaller than sleds, but the gas lasts longer. You can have a blast exploring the trails on your atv. Just watch for No Tress....signs and you will be fine.

enjoy
m8man

radsrh

do they groom atv trail in the Keweenaw?
No the ATV trails are not groomed, the rail grades are pretty flat and fast. The other trails can be more fun with some rutting and decent sized water / mud puddles.

Another note to the original topic. Make plans based on the weather, if you have more than one machine and it's been dry there can be LOTS of dust so plan accordingly especially covering your nose and mouth. And if it's been wet plan on some extra dry clothes to stay comfortable. Can make all the difference in the world when it comes to return trips with the misses

radsrh

Gay to LL trail is closed in the summer... I live on the Gay/LL road and property owners gate off the trail in the summer and you can't get through. From what I've heard the Gay Bar is only accessible through Lac LaBelle now.
there are tons of areas to explore, and the one thing I've noticed over the years is that ATV speeds are slower than sleds, and most ATV gas tanks are smaller than sleds, but the gas lasts longer. You can have a blast exploring the trails on your atv. Just watch for No Tress....signs and you will be fine.

enjoy
m8man

How can you access Gay from Lac LA Belle? Just picked up a new map and there is no trail between them? I thought it still shows access from lake linden over?? Not sure don't have it in front of me at the moment.

IOWASLEDDER

No the ATV trails are not groomed, the rail grades are pretty flat and fast. The other trails can be more fun with some rutting and decent sized water / mud puddles.

Another note to the original topic. Make plans based on the weather, if you have more than one machine and it's been dry there can be LOTS of dust so plan accordingly especially covering your nose and mouth. And if it's been wet plan on some extra dry clothes to stay comfortable. Can make all the difference in the world when it comes to return trips with the misses
We ride Black River Falls area a lot in the summer. So dust and wet weather very familiar with. It appears on the map the only route to Gay is 124 from Phoenix. Fun trail on sleds!! I see the trail to Eagle River is accessible by atv. Is that place there that is right on Lake Superior open during the warm months?

IOWASLEDDER

Also, I'm registered in Wisconsin, do I need to register in Michigan and buy a trail pass or is just a trail pass required?

radsrh

Just a trail pass is required. Yes Fitzgerald ' s is open during the summer. Great BBQ and excellent beer's on tap. Nice to sit out on their deck when the tide is high the big lake is right under you.

IOWASLEDDER

Just a trail pass is required. Yes Fitzgerald ' s is open during the summer. Great BBQ and excellent beer's on tap. Nice to sit out on their deck when the tide is high the big lake is right under you.
Sweet!!! Any other places not open in August??? What about gas stops. Same as snowmobiling??

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the info everyone!! I'm so excited to check the Keweenaw out on an atv. All locals say it is so much fun. We've been talking about doing it but never pulled the trigger on a trip until recently. So excited to do this!!

ezra

wow no grooming at all. it has to get pretty bad washboard.
where we usually ride around web lk wi if has not been groomed in a week or 2 it gets crazy washboard . I wont even ride it then. but it is all sand and class 5 and a ton of traffic .

m8man

How can you access Gay from Lac LA Belle? Just picked up a new map and there is no trail between them? I thought it still shows access from lake linden over?? Not sure don't have it in front of me at the moment.

What I should have said was access Gay through the trail that comes down as an off shoot of the main trail that heads north through the Keweenaw. I can't remember the trail number....There are a few ways to get out there but some of the trails are gated off in the summer. Usually you can find a way to where you are wanting to go it just may take some time...

m8man